Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

really important $3 part

While we're still rebuilding content, I wanted to post a reminder to anyone that has a Morse throttle control, at least like mine, to check and replace the brass pivot connector on the end of the cable behind the control unit. I remembered from a previous MBO post of a member who had this piece wear completely in two while on the water. Peter of Smoothwatersports added that this piece gets so much wear that some ski schools go through two or three a year.

I had not even looked at mine, but ordered a new one from skiDIM when I ordered a new impeller. Today when I removed the throttle control and unscrewed the old connector from the cable, it was cut almost entirely through, hanging literally by a brass thread.

I now intend to make that a yearly check, and always have a couple extra on hand in the boat. Easy and cheap fix...disasterous if unprepared.

Edited by HRemington

Hey Hank, for the mechanically disinclined (like me), can you be a little more specific as to what part you removed and how? Don't suppose you'd be willing to take apart and take a pic of a part, would you? Nothing fancy, no need to add glo-sticks to the throttle or anything. Biggrin.gif

Edited by VinRLX

Same here, and I wonder how long it takes. I put 500 hours on my last boat and never had a problem...Maybe it affects certain boats more?

Hank, is this what you got?

sorry I'm just now getting back to what I started...yep, Jackster, that is the culprit. The bigger cylinder threads onto the cable end, and the smaller portion is what the arm of the throttle lever attaches to, and what was cutting through mine. I'll try to post a pic of mine as soon as I'm able.

and if you want to check yours out, easiest way to see it is just unscrew the three screws holding the throttle unit on and pull it out where you can see the cables behind.

Edited by HRemington

Wow, I am going to have to begin checking mine. I have learned that perfect pass cables tend to go around 300 hours so I have a spare one of those, but I never checked the cable.