Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vinyl Installs

Ndawg12

So I started to tackle another lengthy project this winter. I've got replacement skins for my entire boat that have been sitting in a box for a couple years now. I replaced the bow center cushion all ready and didn't turn out too bad for my first attempt, but that appeared to be the easiest piece on the whole boat. I've been told that manual vinyl work is kind of a lost art, and I didn't find much info on any of the internets :biggrin: So if you have any experience with this please add to this thread.

bow5.jpg

bow4.jpg

bow3.jpg

bow1.jpg

I think it looks great! All stainless staples and hardware, right? That's a must. I didn't do my current boat, but rebuilt seats in my previous that had good fabric but dry rotted wood (used same skins). Also did a couple of golf carts. You probably already know, let each skin sit out in a heated area unfolded for a week or so, and stretch it taught but not tight :crazy: . Put some 303 on it right away after each install. That's all I got.

I think it looks great! All stainless staples and hardware, right? That's a must. I didn't do my current boat, but rebuilt seats in my previous that had good fabric but dry rotted wood (used same skins). Also did a couple of golf carts. You probably already know, let each skin sit out in a heated area unfolded for a week or so, and stretch it taught but not tight :crazy: . Put some 303 on it right away after each install. That's all I got.

One problem I ran into was that the skins have sat folded in a box for 2 years so they have creases in them that can't be pulled/stretched out. I tacked the skin in a few places and let it sit for a few days and the creases diminished significantly so I went ahead and finished it up, they're almost completely gone now. :thumbup:

Better than stainless use Monel staples these can be hard to find though.

the stainless you find at the hardware store is low grade metal and will still degrade over time.

Edited by Devin Perry

Nice job!

What did the seat skins set ya back and who sells them if I can ask?

:rockon:

Chee made mine. My boat would have been around $3500 for labor and materials, but that's all I'm saying :whistle:

Edited by Ndawg12

Dawg,

Why have you had an entire boat worth of skins sitting around for years? Was there something wrong with the vinyl when you bought that repo?

Dawg,

Why have you had an entire boat worth of skins sitting around for years? Was there something wrong with the vinyl when you bought that repo?

It's a very long story but the interior was cleaned (by the previous owner) with a harsh chemical that ate all the stitching in the entire boat. I also had the famous "glue bleed through" problem on the sundeck which Malibu decided to cover under warranty. I think there was some miscommunication between Chee in Cali and the TN plant and he made the entire boat. So I decided to purchase them to be installed as needed.

I used a product called VLP to try and prolong the life of the seams but as you can see I think it trapped moisture and it turned to mold. Every seam in the bow area looks like that.

One problem I ran into was that the skins have sat folded in a box for 2 years so they have creases in them that can't be pulled/stretched out. I tacked the skin in a few places and let it sit for a few days and the creases diminished significantly so I went ahead and finished it up, they're almost completely gone now. :thumbup:

Yep. If you ever store vinyl for long periods of time store it rolled up so there aren't any creases. It sounds like once you get it installed it will eventually all come out. Time and pressure from stretching does wonders.

Yep. If you ever store vinyl for long periods of time store it rolled up so there aren't any creases. It sounds like once you get it installed it will eventually all come out. Time and pressure from stretching does wonders.

Plus getting that little guy walking all over it will probably do it some good too.

That's awesome you are doing yourself. Are you only doing the seats or the whole boat.

I actually heard from a dealer that Malibu only carries the vinyl for around 6 years or so. I forget the exact number of years. But I would have expected Malibu to carry it longer than that. I suppose one can always just have a vinyl shop make duplicates but I am sure it would be more money.

That's awesome you are doing yourself. Are you only doing the seats or the whole boat.

I actually heard from a dealer that Malibu only carries the vinyl for around 6 years or so. I forget the exact number of years. But I would have expected Malibu to carry it longer than that. I suppose one can always just have a vinyl shop make duplicates but I am sure it would be more money.

I am planning to do the whole boat eventually but I'm starting with (what I think are) the easiest pieces first. However, I started the smallest front bow cushion last night and I think it's gong to be a bear!!

Another note to add, someone told me to use steam to get the foam back into its original shape. I think I'm gonna need to do that with the piece I'm working on now.

Edited by Ndawg12

I did my entire boat. The steam did help the foam pop back in to shape.

I found the hardest part was the "ring" cushion above the back seat. It took us all day to get that one on.

Heat gun and steamer is a must have.

I also purchased SS staples from a upholstery dealer. They were the Senco brand.

Hey Ndwag, easiest way to loose all the creases is to put those out flat in the sun on a hot day before trying to install.

Also an upholstery steamer is what you'll need to make those tough corners in the rear half of the boat. It's worth the cash to have the tool.

I've used this one in the past LINK

As for the back, the hardest pieces are the rear seatback and possibly the side bolsters depending on the style, I'd think about having a pro do those.

-Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Ndwag, easiest way to loose all the creases is to put those out flat in the sun on a hot day before trying to install.

Also an upholstery steamer is what you'll need to make those tough corners in the rear half of the boat. It's worth the cash to have the tool.

I've used this one in the past LINK

As for the back, the hardest pieces are the rear seatback and possibly the side bolsters depending on the style, I'd think about having a pro do those.

-Chris

All the seat bottoms are done, I'm hoping, even though they're installed, that a few days in the sun will still eliminate those creases, if not I can still live with the current results.

The rear seatback was done a couple years ago so I won't mess with that. But the wrap-around seatbacks in the bow will need done soon, the stitching is gone and I get some discoloration during humid times. Sunbrella doesn't "breathe" as well as advertised... :whistle:

Thanks for the link to the steamer, I was looking for something similar to that but $250 for my little project is hard to swallow....unless Chee is retiring soon :whistle::biggrin:

Edited by Ndawg12

All the seat bottoms are done, I'm hoping, even though they're installed, that a few days in the sun will still eliminate those creases, if not I can still live with the current results.

The rear seatback was done a couple years ago so I won't mess with that. But the wrap-around seatbacks in the bow will need done soon, the stitching is gone and I get some discoloration during humid times. Sunbrella doesn't "breathe" as well as advertised... :whistle:

Thanks for the link to the steamer, I was looking for something similar to that but $250 for my little project is hard to swallow....unless Chee is retiring soon :whistle::biggrin:

i'd bet a dollar to a donut that this steamer would do the trick for these small jobs.