Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter

JohnnyBlueToes

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malibudude

• JohnnyBlueToes

• edwin

• jetskipro550

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The SLXi handles the course well. Not like a Nautank but it does good. It was an AWSA approved tow boat. Like Edwin said, if you have a REALLY short set up a response will fit the bill better. But we are talking a really short set up. I have very little problem getting a skier up to 36 mph in tight spots. To sum it up, my wife can pull me throught the course pretty well. Not that she enjoys doing so. Fingerwag.gif

Edwin, you have the RLXi broken in yet? ;)

The SLXi handles the course well.  Not like a Nautank but it does good.  It was an AWSA approved tow boat.  Like Edwin said, if you have a REALLY short set up a response will fit the bill better.  But we are talking a really short set up.  I have very little problem getting a skier up to 36 mph in tight spots.  To sum it up, my wife can pull me throught the course pretty well.  Not that she enjoys doing so. Fingerwag.gif

Edwin, you have the RLXi broken in yet? ;)

RLXi is barely broken in...35hrs on it.

BTW - 2 Thumbs and I took the SLXi out yesterday, what a great boat that is. Thank goodness for that hot water shower too..made 43 degree water a non-issue.

Edwin. You are hard core. I winterized my boat yesterday. Haven't skied in several weeks.

Do you notice a significant wake difference between the RLXi and the Sunsetter? I thought the RLXi was a noticeably better at the long rope lengths I ski at.

Steve - I've only skied the RLXi from 22, 28, and 32 off so I can't speak to 15 off. I've never skied the RLXi slower than 34mph either.

At 22, the wake is better slightly better behind the RLXi when both boats are lightly loaded. Put some 3 or 4 peeps on board and the SLXi 22' wake is noticeably larger.

28 and shorter, they're very similar regardless of how they're loaded.

I find that the RLXi offers a firmer pull all the way around...out of the hole, as the boat picks you up after the bouy, etc. I'm not comparing apples to apples though as my RLXi has the 340 Monsoon and the SLXi has the 325 Monsoon. There's a big difference between the two...the 340 is much torquier if that's a word. FWIW, I notice no difference in performance between my 340 RLXi and 2 Thumbs 335 RLXi...identical top ends too.

Thanks. I've only skied at 15 off as you surmised. The wake seemed bigger than the RLXi and 206 wake. But nothing I couldn't get used to very quickly. So, like other applications, the wake gets better the shorter and faster you go. The SLXi is a sweet boat considering all the room and the capable wakes. Why wouldn't Bu want to keep it. Like someone else said, Bu replaced it with a boat that's great at nothing.

Basic supply and demand...

Well there is enough demand to keep the redesigned SLXI out there. I wonder how many SLXI's have sold and how long it'll be in the lineup. I know at least a couple people that would have upgraded model years on the SLXI until the change.

Well there is enough demand to keep the redesigned SLXI out there. I wonder how many SLXI's have sold and how long it'll be in the lineup. I know at least a couple people that would have upgraded model years on the SLXI until the change.

Keep in mind that the new SLXi shares a platform with a handful of other 21.5' boats. The old SLXi was on it's own

Keep in mind that the new SLXi shares a platform with a handful of other 21.5' boats. The old SLXi was on it's own

True, but then the RLXI took the "one" specific platform over. So in essence I guess nothing has really changed. I prefer to call it the classic and not old like mike Crazy.gif

There are two SLXI's here in norcal both at Copes (Ultimate Water Sports).

SLXI #1

SLXI #2

Thanks MD. Followed up on #1 - would have been a stretch but already SOLD. :( #2 is out of the price range. Thanks for the leads though, I'll continue to stay on the hunt. Crazy.gif

Sure no problem. Here's two others a bit far though.

Another

Another SLXI (great color scheme If I say so myself)

That second one looks really clean, and only 114 hours too!

If you have an interest, perhaps one of our Texas Crew members can be convinced (bribed) to swing by the dealership and give you some first hand insight into the boat.

That second one does look clean. Probably not attractive enough deal to travel to Texas for, however. By the time you add travel and transport back to Portland it starts to make even a great deal at best a fair deal. Ski season doesn't start back up again here in Portland until May at the earliest, so not in a pinch yet.

Sure there is much discussion about this elsewhere which when I get some time I'll search, but that first boat had 500 hours. This seems based on another thread regarding annual hours to be on the high end of average. This sounds high to me and might lead me to believe the boat may be getting a little tired, but what do I know. Thoughts?

Edited by JohnnyBlueToes

I'd rather buy a well cared for but high hour boat than a boat that has sat around. Just sitting is not good for a marine product and 500 hours is nothing on a Bu. I would not be shy to make a offer on that boat--all else being equal.

Edited by SGY

I don't think 500 hours on a 00' is excessive, perhaps a bit more than the average. I don't have 500 on my 00' but I do ski on several other boats but probably would be close if all my skiing was done behind mine. Keep in mind some have low hours simply because they are only used on private lakes. A properly maintain engine should last up to 2,000-2,500 hours, so plenty of life left in it. Certainly finding a boat closer would save the travel/shipping expenses but why not ask the guy if the price is set. They maybe in the position to get rid of it as it’s been on the lot for awhile and/or be willing to transport it halfway. 26k is definitely on the high side. MT was asking 22k for his boat granted it was a 99’ but w/ 170 hours IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at a '99 SLXi that is real clean and the current owner has been real upfront about an incident where he hit a stump with the prop. He said the prop was replaced and the shaft as well but only for precautionary concerns. He indicated that there was also a gouge in the gelcoat, no fiberglass damage. It has been repaired as well. All work was done at his local Malibu dealer. The incident happened three years ago. Any reason for concern?

Also, are there any updates that were made from the '99 to '00 SLXi, or the '00 to '01?

Thanks.

There was a gelcoat stripe pattern change, along with an updated dash between 99 and 01.

I'd have a dealer give the boat a good going through but as long as it drives well wouldn't rule it out. Do you have seat time in a SLXi that drives like they're supposed to so you can compare? Many a seller rely on "it's always done that".

No worries on the gelcoat repairs. I had a few nicks in my SLXi's gelcoat from the build process. The dealer touched them up after I took delivery. Still looking good today...

Good luck

I'm looking at a '99 SLXi that is real clean and the current owner has been real upfront about an incident where he hit a stump with the prop.  He said the prop was replaced and the shaft as well but only for precautionary concerns.  He indicated that there was also a gouge in the gelcoat, no fiberglass damage.  It has been repaired as well.  All work was done at his local Malibu dealer.  The incident happened three years ago.  Any reason for concern?

Also, are there any updates that were made from the '99 to '00 SLXi, or the '00 to '01?

Thanks.

That's a common enough thing to have happen & it sounds like it was properly repaired. As edwin said, it would be a good idea to have a dealer go through it, of course you really should do that with any used boat. The money spent is good insurance.

I'm looking at a '99 SLXi that is real clean and the current owner has been real upfront about an incident where he hit a stump with the prop.  He said the prop was replaced and the shaft as well but only for precautionary concerns.  He indicated that there was also a gouge in the gelcoat, no fiberglass damage.  It has been repaired as well.  All work was done at his local Malibu dealer.  The incident happened three years ago.  Any reason for concern?

Thanks.

There are several owners here on TMC that have hit a tree stump or other underground objects and once repaired haven’t had any future problems. The fact that he was up front about it can provide documentation verifying that the dealer corrected the damage would probably suffice. I might even have the shaft alignment checked just for peace of mind. Gel coat scratches are very common, if fixed properly then you’ll never know they existed. As with any used boat I’d have the dealer do a wet test in addition to all land based testing. Get all maintenance documentation you can that way you have proof of the work being done and also information in the event you need to warranty something. Any pics of the boat?

Edwin and Traci covered the major updates the other is the flooring materials and foam used. I can’t remember on the 99’s if the rear seat was once piece or a three piece.

I'm looking at a '99 SLXi ...

Get all maintenance documentation you can that way you have proof of the work being done and also information in the event you need to warranty something.

Warranty work....on a '99? Dontknow.gif

I'd get the maintenance records for the peace of mind but I'm thinking that it's out of warranty by now. :unsure:

Edited by NorCaliBu
I'm looking at a '99 SLXi ...

Get all maintenance documentation you can that way you have proof of the work being done and also information in the event you need to warranty something.

Warranty work....on a '99? :Doh:

I'd get the maintenance records for the peace of mind but I'm thinking that it's out of warranty by now. Biggrin.gif

Not the factory warrenty rather other repairs if there are indeed any.

I have a 2000 LXi and have love the mutha for ever. Driven the course, Run the course, and does well. I think that this was the year that the LXi was the only open bow of its size to get rated to pull the course. Selling it now cause we board more than we ski....PM me if interested........Gonna miss her for sure!!!!!