Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Member Shawndoggy

Lance B. Johnson

I also attached the pumps directly to the bags

Even went a far as to use a 3 in pvc pipe cut in half over the pump and connection

Just drilled a hole to fit over the connection and the pipe takes the stress of the weight

Running this setup for 2 years now no problems

Now that is an awesome Idea! I might have to try that one, it's alot easier to have the pump attached to the bag but wasn't worth the damage I've seen before.

I'm re-installing now and I think I solved part of the mystery of the leaking bags. Turns out that my boat does not have anti-siphon loops for the fill lines (half suspect my rear hard tanks may have been dealer installed after the fact rather than factory installed). I guess that's not a big deal with tanks because even if the tanks did start to siphon, as soon as they emptied enough to put the fill line out of contact with the water in the tank, the siphoning would stop. Not so on the bags because the fill line is likely to always be in contact with the bag.

I am also screwing the drain pumps right into the bags, despite 06's advice that it could break the pump. Sortof a proof of concept thing for me and I want to get the system as simple as possible. Might add in the hose extensions later if I feel it's necessary, but for now want to eliminate the possibility of leaks.

So the drain pumps are screwed in directly to the drain holes on the bags. The power is set up to quick disconnect from the pump with these:

B003C01FD6.01._SX500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V190890269_.jpg

And then a run of drain hose from the pump to above the bag with the fly high quick connects inline on the hose. So the bag can still come out but with a short run of wire and 20" of hose connected too. I can see all of the quick disconnects with the bag full, so I'll be able to eliminate them as a source of leaks.

Really wish I would have seen these connectors first (they look just like the factory connectors for the modules under the dash), but oh well:

41Eoxr6VpHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Those are GM weatherpack connectors and they are available at your local NAPA....at least they are at mine.

<br />I also attached the pumps directly to the bags <br />Even went a far as to use a 3 in pvc pipe cut in half over the pump and connection <br />Just drilled a hole to fit over the connection and the pipe takes the stress of the weight<br />Running this setup for 2 years now no problems<br />

would love to see some pics of this?

Edited by shawndoggy

nothing fancy

might re do it some time

both pumps are angled into the outside corners to get the pick-up at the lowest point of the bag

this avoids the hump towards the engine

post-6001-028704900 1302748798_thumb.jpg

post-6001-020161300 1302748856_thumb.jpg

post-6001-075004500 1302748947_thumb.jpg

Edited by my malibu

I actually moved the drain pumps to the "front" of the bags so they are not jammed in the back. yes I can have a bit of water left in the bags at times, but if i drain them before the belly and the bow....seems to work. Connected them directly to bag with 90 quick connects and all is good.......

Had mine in front but got lazy and put them in the back

This way I can motor back and drain the bags with the bow up

Can you explain the fittings on the back between the bag and the pump (i.e. like a parts list)? Are these NPS or NPT threaded?

Hard to give parts list unless I know which pump you are using

I have two different ones , since I had them

Both have different connections

Almost the Same as 06vlx.

I cheated a little and re tapped the bag fitting then used silicone to seal it

The one in the pic is a npt 90 to a hose connection

Edited by my malibu

Had mine in front but got lazy and put them in the back

This way I can motor back and drain the bags with the bow up

agree....I still drain going home but do have to get that last bit out before trailering...........

nothing fancy

might re do it some time

both pumps are angled into the outside corners to get the pick-up at the lowest point of the bag

this avoids the hump towards the engine

thanks for the visuals. I think I'm going to go a slightly different route, but I never would have thought of it without these pics. Will post pics of my own once I figure out whether it will work.

When I redo it

I will build a box around the bottom of the locker that would hold the pump etc

Then carpet it

Saving money for gas no more projects

Totally pirating my malibus idea here with my own twist: What do you guys think? I may modify this so that there is a short piece of hose between the bag and the pump to further eliminate stress on the pump fitting. But give me some opinions....not like its installed yet or anything.post-7843-014633600 1303010973_thumb.jpg

Also The hole that I drilled between the pump and the bag is about 2" allowing the pump and the pipe to move independently.

OR...I could drill like a 1" hole so that there is a slight interference between the pump and the pipe.....essentially making the pipe and the pump one piece. Problem is I don't know what the better option would be.

Edited by Ruffdog

On you're setup I would put end caps on the pipe to help maintain it's shape

I almost went that route but decide to 90 the bag fitting and cut the pipe in half so I could form it to the hull

Wonder him much weight that pipe will take

Mine broke at 400 lb that is why I cut it in half

On you're setup I would put end caps on the pipe to help maintain it's shape

I almost went that route but decide to 90 the bag fitting and cut the pipe in half so I could form it to the hull

Wonder him much weight that pipe will take

Mine broke at 400 lb that is why I cut it in half

I think I will give it a try. Stood on the pipe today and bounced....seems pretty tough. Nice thick walls.