Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Member Shawndoggy

Lance B. Johnson

hey shawn tried to pm you.

Did you ever get your water leak resolved? Was it the fittings? Let me know what you did to resolve this....I am putting together my winter list.

BTW- I have plans to make the rear locker wider by moving the engine access closer to the engine by a couple inches. I will post pics you might be interested. Gonna be awhile before I get to it though.

I think somethings up with Shawn's PM inbox. I got a message a month ago telling me I couldn't PM him.

Might wanna look into this a bit, Shawn.

Hey wakegirl, what do I need to change? I can initiate PMs, but can't receive them?

RD -- yes, my issue is absolutely with the fittings. Basically the drain fitting is under 700lbs of bag and it gets tweaked over and leaks. My thought is to get a couple of w737 fittings

fly_high_fitting_w737.jpg

a short piece of hose out from under the bag, then a barb-to-flow-rite

MA-032.jpg

then hook the stress-relieved drain pump to this. I'm also planning on re-running the drain hoses to the opposite sides of the boat to minimize the chance of siphoning out of the drain line when surfing.

Hey wakegirl, what do I need to change? I can initiate PMs, but can't receive them?

RD -- yes, my issue is absolutely with the fittings. Basically the drain fitting is under 700lbs of bag and it gets tweaked over and leaks. My thought is to get a couple of w737 fittings

MA-032.jpg

then hook the stress-relieved drain pump to this. I'm also planning on re-running the drain hoses to the opposite sides of the boat to minimize the chance of siphoning out of the drain line when surfing.

Sounds like a good plan. Once the boat is listing to the surf side you won't have the slow leak out of the drain either. :rockon: I will need to address this over the winter. I believe my problem must be with the fittings as well....no other way. Glad to see you got your inbox cleaned out :lol:

Did you ever get your water leak resolved? Was it the fittings? Let me know what you did to resolve this....I am putting together my winter list.

BTW- I have plans to make the rear locker wider by moving the engine access closer to the engine by a couple inches. I will post pics you might be interested. Gonna be awhile before I get to it though.

Huh and I thought you were calling him out for not renewing his membership :whistle: .

The quick lock will move with the movement of the bag but will not leak.

Oh that it were true... In my case I've visually observed the bag putting weight on the flow rite connection and it springing a leak. I want to take the weight of the bag out of the flow rite equation.

i am working on the same issue as shawn and I have to agree. It is related to the stress on the fitting as well as the pressure in the sack.

If I don't pump the sack up all the way I get almost no water in the locker. if I do pump it up, I can have up to a gallon of water in the locker. Definately leaking out of the fittings.

We are trying to maintain the ability to fill the sack all the way and not have a leak. Personally I need to idiot proof my system because I have been know to leave the ballast switch on and pressurize the bag. :(

i am working on the same issue as shawn and I have to agree. It is related to the stress on the fitting as well as the pressure in the sack.

If I don't pump the sack up all the way I get almost no water in the locker. if I do pump it up, I can have up to a gallon of water in the locker. Definately leaking out of the fittings.

We are trying to maintain the ability to fill the sack all the way and not have a leak. Personally I need to idiot proof my system because I have been know to leave the ballast switch on and pressurize the bag. :(

My fix for a similar but different issue was to put a barbed threaded 90 with silicone on the threads up screwed into the bag with a short sectio of hose on that with the quicklock fittings on the end of that. I agree the weight of the sac is not good for these quick connect fittings. I broke a 90 quick connect in half last summer.

My fix for a similar but different issue was to put a barbed threaded 90 with silicone on the threads up screwed into the bag with a short sectio of hose on that with the quicklock fittings on the end of that. I agree the weight of the sac is not good for these quick connect fittings. I broke a 90 quick connect in half last summer.

Where did you get a barbed 90 for the bag? What you are describing is exactly what I'm thinking of.

Where did you get a barbed 90 for the bag? What you are describing is exactly what I'm thinking of.

I got it at Ace Hardware. The threads are just a little different, kinda loose when you screw it in but this is why I loaded up the threads with silicone sealant. I'm going to fill it up in the driveway to make sure nothing leaks before it goes back in the boat.

• 2 months later...

MA-032.jpg

that second fitting (picture) I will bet is your issue, the fitting does not have enough barbs for the hose to grab and it is to thin, basically collapses . I had a couple of them and they all failed to water test.......replaced them with a more rigid PVC fitting and have no issues. However I am running 1" hose which I heated to fit the fittings so i think the stress on the fittings was causing me issues. anyway once i put the thicker pvc fittings in no leaks......

that second fitting (picture) I will bet is your issue, the fitting does not have enough barbs for the hose to grab and it is to thin, basically collapses . I had a couple of them and they all failed to water test.......replaced them with a more rigid PVC fitting and have no issues. However I am running 1" hose which I heated to fit the fittings so i think the stress on the fittings was causing me issues. anyway once i put the thicker pvc fittings in no leaks......

The problem described is unrelated to those fittings, but thanks for the heads up... they were the proposed solution.

The problem described is unrelated to those fittings, but thanks for the heads up... they were the proposed solution.

think it might have happened because of the hose I was running. those fitting literally collapsed when I clamped down on them. Pee'd water everywhere

• 2 months later...

I'm re-installing now and I think I solved part of the mystery of the leaking bags. Turns out that my boat does not have anti-siphon loops for the fill lines (half suspect my rear hard tanks may have been dealer installed after the fact rather than factory installed). I guess that's not a big deal with tanks because even if the tanks did start to siphon, as soon as they emptied enough to put the fill line out of contact with the water in the tank, the siphoning would stop. Not so on the bags because the fill line is likely to always be in contact with the bag.

I am also screwing the drain pumps right into the bags, despite 06's advice that it could break the pump. Sortof a proof of concept thing for me and I want to get the system as simple as possible. Might add in the hose extensions later if I feel it's necessary, but for now want to eliminate the possibility of leaks.

So the drain pumps are screwed in directly to the drain holes on the bags. The power is set up to quick disconnect from the pump with these:

B003C01FD6.01._SX500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V190890269_.jpg

And then a run of drain hose from the pump to above the bag with the fly high quick connects inline on the hose. So the bag can still come out but with a short run of wire and 20" of hose connected too. I can see all of the quick disconnects with the bag full, so I'll be able to eliminate them as a source of leaks.

Really wish I would have seen these connectors first (they look just like the factory connectors for the modules under the dash), but oh well:

41Eoxr6VpHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by shawndoggy

I also attached the pumps directly to the bags

Even went a far as to use a 3 in pvc pipe cut in half over the pump and connection

Just drilled a hole to fit over the connection and the pipe takes the stress of the weight

Running this setup for 2 years now no problems