Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Tank

Ok, if any of you have been following, I am gutting the Skier and doing a little stringer repair work. I pulled the fuel tank and it had a lot of gas in, stabilized. I didn't mean to start such an indepth project. Anyways, I am siphoning the gas out so I can move the tank, no help to remove it or I'd keep gas in it. Anyways, my siphoning hose always curled up so I took about a 6 in long cotter key and rigged up an assembly to keep the hose straight. All went well until I pulled it out, the key fell off and is now stuck in the tank, I'm thinking it may be stuck for good. If that is the case, would it be that big of deal?

It was one of those moments where I was freakin happy it worked and ticked when I got done haha

Ok....nevermind. Thanks Pistol Pete, thats what I figured. I had one last thing I wanted to try and wouldn't you know it fell perfectly into the sending unit hole, which is amazing. If I could delete a topic I would, case closed :rockon: So if anyone else has a fuel tank question, here is a thread!

You could also use one of those telescoping magnetic pickup tools since the tank is stainless. If that cotter key isn't stainless I certainly wouldn't leave it in the tank.

Another option would be to siphon all the gas out and turn the tank over and dump it out. Biggrin.gif

If that cotter key isn't stainless I certainly wouldn't leave it in the tank.

Yikes,

Good call M.A. didn't think about that.

Another option would be to siphon all the gas out and turn the tank over and dump it out. Biggrin.gif

Sounds like OP needs to drain the tank no matter what and remove it so, then would be the time to get those lost parts out.

Yikes,

Good call M.A. didn't think about that.

Sounds like OP needs to drain the tank no matter what and remove it so, then would be the time to get those lost parts out.

Yeah, you never know what you might find! I'll bet Levi900's new surf board that there is more in the tank than a cotter pin.

Edited by Michigan boarder

You could also use one of those telescoping magnetic pickup tools since the tank is stainless. If that cotter key isn't stainless I certainly wouldn't leave it in the tank.

:plus1:

Better yet a flex magnet. Even better yet a scope with a magnetic attachment. I have one if you want to come to Oregon. :crazy:

Skier_88, my casual observation of the postings over the last year is that you want to borrow tools from Ruffdawg, before anybody else. He has good tools. I think that particular scope with a magnetic attachment is a BINFORD NINE THOUSAND.....................

Skier_88's next post:

Guys, I lost a cylindrical magnet in the bottom of my gas tank :rofl:

LOL.gif Yeah, electrical tape gadgets have saved me too, but I would be leery fishing one into my gas tank. It would certainly turn into some nasty gooey sludge if it dissolved in the tank. Unsure.gif

LOL.gif Yeah, electrical tape gadgets have saved me too, but I would be leery fishing one into my gas tank. It would certainly turn into some nasty gooey sludge if it dissolved in the tank. Unsure.gif

:biggrin: True, I wouldn't leave it in there real long but depending on how well the contraption was assembled it should hold up for a few minutes. I used to clean the underground storage tanks at gas stations. Often times I needed to gauge how much rust and metal particles were coming out and into my holding tank. Want to see something turn to goo in a hurry, toss a styrofoam cup into some gas, pretty neat experiment.

Skier_88's next post:

Guys, I lost a cylindrical magnet in the bottom of my gas tank :rofl:

That's the first thing I thought too, you beat me to it. Keeping with the Toolman theme:

"Tim, will you get out of the way, I'm trying to fix the faucet"

"No you're not Jill, you're just shoving tools down the drain"

My drunk buddy used his Bic lighter to see how much gas he had in his 4 wheeler. One good flare up along with some singed facial hair and it was all over. File this under stuff you don't tell Mom about.