Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Alarm sounding after oil & tranny fluid change

Green_Giant

Hi crew

Went out for a ski this morning. I just did my annual oil and tranny fluid change & drain the block so I wouldn't freeze.

At the launch this morning, I finished adding a little tranny fluid, It was somewhat dark and I may have put a little much in.

Started boat, oil pressure came right up and we idled out as we got geared up. Towards the end of our first set I did a tight turn and the engine alarmed started beeping. Oil pressure was 70 while underway, engine right at 160 degrees. Picked up the skier, stopped the motor, checked the levels and everything, didn't see anything much, started the motor, no beeping at idle. Skier was up and did another sharp turn and the beeping started again.

Upon further inspection, I'm high on tranny fluid, and appear to have purged some out the vent, there's a bit of tranny fluid in the bilge (there was fluid by and below the vent)

So, that was the end of the skiing. Tranny housing felt pretty warm but I could hold my hand on it.

1. Would extra fluid contribute to a high tranny temp alarm?

2. What is the temp threshold for the tranny temperature alarm?

I didn't think to start pulling leads (oil pressure switch, engine temp to the ECM) to isolate the source but that is # 2 on my list after checking the tranny screen. My little display didn't list any faults (where I have seen "Oil P" in the past when I had an issue with my pressure switch) Is there an oil temp somewhere or just an engine & tranny temp sensor?

Any other troubleshooting suggestions? All was running perfectly before my little service. :(

Thanks!

Thought I took out about 2 and put in as it turns out maybe 6 ounces more than that, but I may not have taken a full 2. I'm maybe 1/4" over the full mark when warm and need to pull some out. It is still olding pressure in the case because I hear the usual hiss when I pop open the dipstick seal.

Don't bother checking your tranny screen. Mine has never has a speck of debris on it. It's also very hard to put back in, because of its location. Only 4 things can trigger the under dash beeper, which is controlled by the ECM. They are low oil pressure, high tranny temps, high coolant temps, or a trouble code. The first three things are monitored by the ECM using sensors (actually switches on the first two), which are independant of your gauge sensors. So if your gauges are reading normal, one of the sensors for the ECM might be faulty. Disconnecting each sensor while in alarm mode will help you find the root cause of the alarm. If you suspect the tranny temp is the cause, you can feel the hoses going to the tranny fluid cooler to see if one is really warm. I think, but am not sure, that the tranny temp alarm is a 170* switch. The low oil pressure switch is a less than 6 psi switch, and the high coolant alarm comes in at 203*. If your coolant temp sensor failed or was acting up (which is rare), you would notice other problems, like hard starting when motor is warm. I doubt overfilling the tranny is causing your alarms. I overfilled mine on the first fluid change and the excess just spewed out the vent. Good luck.

That all makes sense. Tranny case didn't really feel hotter than 170, but I wouldn't have expected it to be much hot at all after just one pass down the lake. I don't know what the usual tranny running temp for a direct drive w/o ballast or anything would be but that seemed to be hot pretty quick.

Thanks everyone! I decided to check the tranny cooler before bed time and out comes a Butterfinger wrapper from halloween.

It was a big enough piece to easily block the flow through the tranny cooler so that has to be the problem.

I didn't drive it much after that point and was able to idle back to the dock without the beeper going off.

Does anyone think I compromised the fluid? I may change it again to be on the safe side. It doesn't smell burnt but doesn't smell like usual either.

Edited by Green_Giant

Change it! Otherwise the first thing that happens you will immediately think "The tranny fluid!"

Scarry, you know exactly how my mind works...

Will change it!