Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MASTERLINE PRO LOCK GLOVES

Sixball

I got a pair last season as a gift but never used them. After trying them on it just felt weird with the two middle fingers being locked down with a strap and a plastic dowel. I’ll give them a go next year and see if they really do reduce fatigue.

I got a pair last season as a gift but never used them. After trying them on it just felt weird with the two middle fingers being locked down with a strap and a plastic dowel. I’ll give them a go next year and see if they really do reduce fatigue.

I have been using Clinchers for many years now the same concept. It takes a little time but if you use them you may like them. I think clinchers are out of business now so moving over to Pro Locks. Can you try yours on and see if they fell like the size runs any different then your current gloves? What are you using now?

Thank's

I have a set in XL that I haven't tried yet. New versus new, they feel very similar in fit to the "new" set of old school XL talons I have stashed away for when my current set wears out. I've been searching for an alternative to the talons that deliver similar grip strength for when I run out of talons.

If your looking for another comparison, I tried a set of HO 41 Tails this year. New they were not as snug as the talons and after some use they seemed to stretch out a little more. I'm hoping the Pro Locks don't do the same.

I'll piggy back a question into this thread, what are peoples experience on the Masterline Pro Locks for taking some of the load off your hands? The 41 Tails do nothing for that and my hands get really fatigued wearing those. If they provide more or a similar effect as the talons, I'll be a happy skier this summer.

I have been using Clinchers for many years. I know my hands last the full season without ripping calluses and stay with them for that reason. I got tired of taping and gluing my hands.

Anyone using them? I am going to order some and am wondering how the sizing runs? I thought I saw somewhere they run small.

I've used Clinchers for at least 20 years. Switched to the Pro Locks this spring, have a full season on the pair I'm using and they still have plenty of life left in them. Used Large in the Clinchers, got Large in the Pro Locks and if anything they're a bit better fit. Sizing feels exactly the same but the fingers are a tad shorter which for me anyway makes them a slightly better fit. I's suggest sticking with the same size as the Clinchers if you used them before.

Do they take load off your hands? Absolutely! I've got screwed up wrists anyway and I wouldn't be able to ski without something like this to help take the load off my hands. For those who haven't used this type glove before - they take a bit of getting used to but once you do adjust to them they're awsome. Feels like you have boxing gloves on UNTIL you have load the handle, then they feel really natural. Most folks love them or hate them, no in between. Gotta give them some time to make the adjustment to the feel.

Ed

I've used Clinchers for at least 20 years. Switched to the Pro Locks this spring, have a full season on the pair I'm using and they still have plenty of life left in them. Used Large in the Clinchers, got Large in the Pro Locks and if anything they're a bit better fit. Sizing feels exactly the same but the fingers are a tad shorter which for me anyway makes them a slightly better fit. I's suggest sticking with the same size as the Clinchers if you used them before.

Do they take load off your hands? Absolutely! I've got screwed up wrists anyway and I wouldn't be able to ski without something like this to help take the load off my hands. For those who haven't used this type glove before - they take a bit of getting used to but once you do adjust to them they're awsome. Feels like you have boxing gloves on UNTIL you have load the handle, then they feel really natural. Most folks love them or hate them, no in between. Gotta give them some time to make the adjustment to the feel.

Ed

I guess I'll have to give them a try in about five months when the ice melts. Anything that will help my aching hands would be a blessing!

You guy have me curious....it it harder to let go if need be with these gloves? Are the two center fingers locked in a gripping shape?

Is this another something I should love without. LOL.gif The crew is too good at helping others spend their money on things they didn't even know they needed. ROFL.gif

I screwed up the tendons in my forearm a few summers back and decided to go with "HO Clutch Ski Gloves" to relieve tension. It was either the new gloves or duct taping the handle to my hand.

I've skied with my buddy's Clinchers in the distant past and didn't care for the palm strap. Eventually, my buddy cut the strap off. The Clutch gloves have the strap on the inside I guess, never seen it or felt it. :unsure:

Now that my forearm has completely healed I still use the Clutch/Crutch gloves cuz I can ski until I pass out and my forearms never feel it. The rubber things on the outside of the fingers fell off and now they look like Wolverine's claws... if I just had those kick@$$ sideburns.

Edited by PrimeData

You guy have me curious....it it harder to let go if need be with these gloves? Are the two center fingers locked in a gripping shape?

Is this another something I should love without. LOL.gif The crew is too good at helping others spend their money on things they didn't even know they needed. ROFL.gif

I've read complaints on other forums about people getting hung up on the handle as if the gloves didn't release properly. Personally I view that claim very suspiciously. By thier design if you open your hand the palm strap comes fairly taut making it impossible to get hung up or to not release. Just relax/open your hand and the gloves release from the handle immediately same as any other type glove.

Having said that I have had a couple of incidents where I did feel briefly hung up. Discovered that this happens (very rarely) using a handle that has bare rope sides as opposed to the heavier cover sides i.e. Straightline and Masterline handles. You can tend to get hung up in the corner between the handle and the thin bare side ropes. With the covered sided handles it's not an issue. Personally I avoid using handles that aren't the heavy covered side type just to be safe.

I've also heard of people taking the dowel out of the palm strap to lessen the likelyhood of a hang up. To me that lessens the grip without really reducing the likelyhood of hang up but whatever works for you. As stated above I've used this type glove for at least 20+ years and I've never had a problem with them, and the amount of stress they take off you hands and wrists is significant.

Ed

I've read complaints on other forums about people getting hung up on the handle as if the gloves didn't release properly. Personally I view that claim very suspiciously. By thier design if you open your hand the palm strap comes fairly taut making it impossible to get hung up or to not release. Just relax/open your hand and the gloves release from the handle immediately same as any other type glove.

Having said that I have had a couple of incidents where I did feel briefly hung up. Discovered that this happens (very rarely) using a handle that has bare rope sides as opposed to the heavier cover sides i.e. Straightline and Masterline handles. You can tend to get hung up in the corner between the handle and the thin bare side ropes. With the covered sided handles it's not an issue. Personally I avoid using handles that aren't the heavy covered side type just to be safe.

I've also heard of people taking the dowel out of the palm strap to lessen the likelyhood of a hang up. To me that lessens the grip without really reducing the likelyhood of hang up but whatever works for you. As stated above I've used this type glove for at least 20+ years and I've never had a problem with them, and the amount of stress they take off you hands and wrists is significant.

Ed

:plus1: I have been using Clinchers for 10 years and have never had a hang up. I like them for one Major reason. My hands go through a full season without tearing callouses. I am not going to say my hands never hurt but at least I am not gluing my hands back together. I don't think anyone will put them on and love them you need to use them for a short time to get confident with the feeling of them.

:plus1: I have been using Clinchers for 10 years and have never had a hang up. I like them for one Major reason. My hands go through a full season without tearing callouses. I am not going to say my hands never hurt but at least I am not gluing my hands back together. I don't think anyone will put them on and love them you need to use them for a short time to get confident with the feeling of them.

I wear Overtons Palm Pads under mine (since there's not much padding) and I hardly even get callouses. Again it takes some getting use to the feel of having them in your gloves but once you get used to them they're great.

Ed

I wear Overtons Palm Pads under mine (since there's not much padding) and I hardly even get callouses. Again it takes some getting use to the feel of having them in your gloves but once you get used to them they're great.

Ed

I used the Prolocks for the full season last year and it was the first year I didn't have my hands tear apart. I didn't wear palm pads or glove liners and I got through the season great. When I went to ski school in warm water I did duct tape my hands but for skiing at home I just put the gloves on and skied.

I have never had an issue with getting hung up on the handle. Once you open your hand the handle pops right out.

I tried them to protect my hands from blisters which have historically been a big problem for me and they were great. I went with a medium because I wanted a tight fit. I had generally been right on the edge of medium and large in gloves.