Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stop Button on observer handrail

I looked in the manual and did not find any information on the intended purpose of the stop button on the handrail by the observers seat. I just purchased a 94 Echelon LX and am trying to learn as much as I can. What is this used for?

I looked in the manual and did not find any information on the intended purpose of the stop button on the handrail by the observers seat. I just purchased a 94 Echelon LX and am trying to learn as much as I can. What is this used for?

I'm guessing it is a joke. A lot of para-sailing boats have an emergency abort button mounted by the attachment point for the rider as a joke. I find it funny.

Get the boat going really fast and push the button. The result will be the intended purpose. :innocent:

Sounds like it all ready served its purpose. What's funnier, actually trying it, or posting a question about it for thousands to see :biggrin:

Allright...the next one of us to sell a boat has got to install a fake button just before the new buyer drives away with the boat....like a red 'Turbo Boost' or a 'Wake Multiplier' button on the dash....then wait for the person that buys the boat to log on to here and ask what it is and why doesn't it work!

Seriously...to the original poster....does the stop button appear to have any wires coming out of it? Could it be that a prior owner used the button for some other purpose...maybe a remote button to deploy a skier down flag or something, then they removed the wires but not the button?

I would like to see a picture, also.

Edited by RTS

Allright...the next one of us to sell a boat has got to install a fake button just before the new buyer drives away with the boat....like a red 'Turbo Boost' or a 'Wake Multiplier' button on the dash....then wait for the person that buys the boat to log on to here and ask what it is and why doesn't it work!

Seriously...to the original poster....does the stop button appear to have any wires coming out of it? Could it be that a prior owner used the button for some other purpose...maybe a remote button to deploy a skier down flag or something, then they removed the wires but not the button?

I would like to see a picture, also.

I think it would be even better if you attached battery to the back and a little led so the button lights up when its "on", Heck if that came on my boat I'd be wondering what the heck it means.

This is the start/stop button for the slalom course timer that is part pf the computron system. It is a just a stop watch in the simplest form which is displayed on the electronic readout of the dash. The time read out should be displayed on the alpha-numeric display in the middle of the dash. You will hit the "Function" button on the dash until of the computer says timer. Then the start/stop button should work as a stopwatch.

Here is the instructions straight from the Malibu Computron Manual:

This function provides competition level skiers with a ten segment

digital stopwatch. To use the stopwatch function, press the (SR)

button to reset the stopwatch to zero. When ready, press the (88)

button to begin the timer on the first segment. Press the (S8) again to

start timing the second segment. You can time up to ten segments by

pressing the (88) button for each segment. Pressing the (SR) button

will stop timing the tenth segment and will place the stop watch in

"Review" mode. While in "Review" mode, pressing the (FlI) and (FU)

buttons will allow you to scroll through each of the ten segments.

Note that the stop watch will continue to operate at all times while

viewing or changing other functions and can be stopped at any time by

pressing the (88) button. However, the stopwatch can only be reset to

zero when in the stopwatch function.

This is the start/stop button for the slalom course timer that is part pf the computron system. It is a just a stop watch in the simplest form which is displayed on the electronic readout of the dash. The time read out should be displayed on the alpha-numeric display in the middle of the dash. You will hit the "Function" button on the dash until of the computer says timer. Then the start/stop button should work as a stopwatch.

Here is the instructions straight from the Malibu Computron Manual:

This function provides competition level skiers with a ten segment

digital stopwatch. To use the stopwatch function, press the (SR)

button to reset the stopwatch to zero. When ready, press the (88)

button to begin the timer on the first segment. Press the (S8) again to

start timing the second segment. You can time up to ten segments by

pressing the (88) button for each segment. Pressing the (SR) button

will stop timing the tenth segment and will place the stop watch in

"Review" mode. While in "Review" mode, pressing the (FlI) and (FU)

buttons will allow you to scroll through each of the ten segments.

Note that the stop watch will continue to operate at all times while

viewing or changing other functions and can be stopped at any time by

pressing the (88) button. However, the stopwatch can only be reset to

zero when in the stopwatch function.

the right answer just sucked all of the fun out of this post!Cry.gif

I really took a beating on that one. Thanks JDubya for bailing me out. You guys are hard on the newbies. I am guessing you guys got the discount boats without the "start/stop button for the slalom course timer". Ha JK. I am sure I will have plenty more dumb questions before the day is out.

I do have a serious question though. I have attempted my first winterization. Oil change successful. Fogging the motor successful. I attempted to add antifreeze to the block thought the thermostat opening in the block. It took a little over two gallons. It did not get it to the exhaust manifold. I am not sure what to do now to get the antifreeze through the exhaust. I tuned it over an started it for a few seconds but the water did not go down in the block to add more. What should I do at this point?

Did you drain the block and risers before adding anti freeze? There are plugs on each side of the motor right under the risers to do so (one on the riser and one on the block each side). Also, I take the water pump to t-stat housing hose off to drain that one and the lower trans cooler hose, as well.

To get anti freeze into the risers, take the hoses that go to the tops of the risers off the t-stat housing and pour directly into the hose.

Did you drain the block and risers before adding anti freeze? There are plugs on each side of the motor right under the risers to do so (one on the riser and one on the block each side). Also, I take the water pump to t-stat housing hose off to drain that one and the lower trans cooler hose, as well.

To get anti freeze into the risers, take the hoses that go to the tops of the risers off the t-stat housing and pour directly into the hose.

and, what kind of anti-freeze did you use?

There is a good winterization document on this site, it was recently posted, but i can't remember who did it.

I did remove the drain plugs and removed the exhaust manifold hoses to drain the water. I removed the thermostat and poured the antifreeze into the block. It held about 2 gallons. The antifreeze did not get to the exhaust manifold. I checked by removing the hose. It will not run uphill. Trying to figure out how to get it in there without starting the motor

I did remove the drain plugs and removed the exhaust manifold hoses to drain the water. I removed the thermostat and poured the antifreeze into the block. It held about 2 gallons. The antifreeze did not get to the exhaust manifold. I checked by removing the hose. The hose goes into the bottom of the exhaust manifold and not the top. I will try pouring it into the hose and see if that works. Thanks for the help.

As soon as I can figure out how to attach a picture I will post it.

Two methods for posting pics. 1) Post them on a hosting site (like photobucket, snapfish, flickr,...) and then link to them in your post. Or 2) become a supporting member of TheMalibuCrew and gain the ability to post pictures directly in your posts (one of a number of advantages).

I did remove the drain plugs and removed the exhaust manifold hoses to drain the water. I removed the thermostat and poured the antifreeze into the block. It held about 2 gallons. The antifreeze did not get to the exhaust manifold. I checked by removing the hose. The hose goes into the bottom of the exhaust manifold and not the top. I will try pouring it into the hose and see if that works. Thanks for the help.

The way to do it would be to use the water pump to run anti-freeze through the entire system. You can remove the thermostat and stick the intake hose into a bucket of anti-freeze. Of course, this would dump some of the anti-freeze you have already put in on your driveway through the exhaust and you would have to re-fog the engine but it's possible.

Since Malibu doesn't include a procedure to add anti-freeze to the engine I'd say you are probably okay just opening the manifold drains and leaving it alone. There are owners manuals somewhere on this site with the manufacturers recommended lay-up procedure (I'm posting with my cell phone or I'd post a link here). There is also an article in the DIY section that is very helpful and about 100 threads on the subject.