Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

skimstyle wakesurfer

85 Barefoot

Bought a new "skimstyle" wake surfer that was actually billed on a one-item-at-a-time blowout website as a skimboard and wakesurfer. I bought just to see shape and it was super cheap so WTH. Well, it arrived today and the thing has ZERO rocker. Any one know enough about surf shapes to know how this board will perform? Don't be bashful with bad news, I'm happy to send it back, I didn't need the thing anyway.

Bought a new "skimstyle" wake surfer that was actually billed on a one-item-at-a-time blowout website as a skimboard and wakesurfer. I bought just to see shape and it was super cheap so WTH. Well, it arrived today and the thing has ZERO rocker. Any one know enough about surf shapes to know how this board will perform? Don't be bashful with bad news, I'm happy to send it back, I didn't need the thing anyway.

Never rode a skim style board. I have always tried to find the "faster" boards for the smaller waves my boat throws. That said, the Sunsetter throws a decent wave with the wedge and will take more weight than my last boat. The Shred Stixx have caught my eye and after riding one at the WOW this summer, I'm impressed. Oh yeah, and don't send it back, your going to need a surf board to use on the tsunami the 247 will throw. Rockon.gif

Never rode a skim style board. I have always tried to find the "faster" boards for the smaller waves my boat throws. That said, the Sunsetter throws a decent wave with the wedge and will take more weight than my last boat. The Shred Stixx have caught my eye and after riding one at the WOW this summer, I'm impressed. Oh yeah, and don't send it back, your going to need a surf board to use on the tsunami the 247 will throw. Rockon.gif

haha, well, I already have a board, this was just another for the quiver, but I don't want to keep if the ricker keeps it from performing decently. thx

I've messed around with skimboards... even to the point of riding an actual skimboard (no fins), and as you have noted they have very little rocker. Hyperlite's broadcast is basically an enormous skimboard with fins at one end. They edge well but you are going to work for your speed. Good for slides and *theoretically* for spins, less so for air (at least when I'm on one).

Like everyone else my first "real" wakesurfer was an "Inland Surfer". When it came time to move from a popout I tried and liked the shred stixx but wound up with a 4,4 Walker Project board. I needed a board that turned faster and harder but kept some "surf-style" speed, still may add a bit more fin in the future. Vernor had been doing some evolutionary design on wake surfers which others have picked up on.

I've messed around with skimboards... even to the point of riding an actual skimboard (no fins), and as you have noted they have very little rocker. Hyperlite's broadcast is basically an enormous skimboard with fins at one end. They edge well but you are going to work for your speed. Good for slides and *theoretically* for spins, less so for air (at least when I'm on one).

Like everyone else my first "real" wakesurfer was an "Inland Surfer". When it came time to move from a popout I tried and liked the shred stixx but wound up with a 4,4 Walker Project board. I needed a board that turned faster and harder but kept some "surf-style" speed, still may add a bit more fin in the future. Vernor had been doing some evolutionary design on wake surfers which others have picked up on.

correct me if I'm wrong, but rocker won't give the board speed. To the contrary, rocker makes water "pile up" at the front of the board and a slow it down. So a rockerless board would be fast, but would pearl super easy (i.e. inland surfer yellow loogie).

correct me if I'm wrong, but rocker won't give the board speed. To the contrary, rocker makes water "pile up" at the front of the board and a slow it down. So a rockerless board would be fast, but would pearl super easy (i.e. inland surfer yellow loogie).

When I mentioned one works a bit harder for speed on a skim board I was not referring to rocker. Rocker will slow a board down but there are other reasons surf style boards tend to be faster down the line than skim style. The skim style boards do not have much buoyancy and they tend to be shorter, run "wakeboard" fins instead of surfboard style fins, they have a very pronounced rail shape (which digs deeper adding some drag) and often taper much more. Skim style boards also tend to run very flat bottom profiles. I found they are somewhat more apt to fall out of the pocket and I personally tend to pearl more on skim style than surf style. The Walker I currently run is a blend of a surf and skim style.

I am familiar with the IS yellow... A fast board but they did tend to pearl a bit when one got aggressive on them, they tried to fix that tendency with a different nose as I recall - eventually changed it to a green board if I am not mistaken. Pearling tendency is much more complicated than a simple rocker issue which is why just adding rocker to a board design that pearls is a band-aid at best if the designer does not find a way to add "lift" to the nose or move the center of "lift" of the board forward in other ways.

So can anyone confirm that a skimstyle wakesurfer is essentially flat? That's the problem, I'm just concerned that this board is only usable as a literal skimboard in the ocean..unless someone can confirm that their skim-styles are flat, which I hope someone can do thx

So can anyone confirm that a skimstyle wakesurfer is essentially flat? That's the problem, I'm just concerned that this board is only usable as a literal skimboard in the ocean..unless someone can confirm that their skim-styles are flat, which I hope someone can do thx

you don't mention a brand so replys have been more general... Is it a Phase 5? They are pretty flat skim style boards. People see to like them. Depends on what you like to ride and the feel you are going for. As I stated earlier I have ridden an ocean style skim board behind the boat with some sucess. Why not try it out then ebay it if you don't wind up digging it?

The Phase 5 Daniello is a really quick skim style wakesurf board. From heel side to toe side, it is almost perfectly flat. From rear to front, it is almost perfectly flat for about 3/5 of the way toward the front of the board, then gradually slopes up so that the nose is raised about 1.5". The standard fins run from about 3/4" to about 1.5". Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

Skim style wakesurfers are pretty flat. They have a touch more rocker than true skimboards and are a bit wider. Flat keeps them fast, but you need some rocker so you dont pearl and even some tail rocker so you can land shuvits easier. A regular skim board will definitely work though. Most dont have fin holes, but thats not a big deal. i always ride finless.