Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swim Platform Missing Mount? Or something Else?

1987 Malibu Skier. Just teak oiled the step . . slowly putting this boat back together. Figured I'd slide it in place on the back of the boat to let it dry.

I have two pins that slide into the two brackets that are on the outer edges of the swim platform . . but I also have what looks like another bracket for something in the center of the boat . . . but no corresponding bracket on my swim step. Can someone help me understand what this additional black bracket on the back of the boat (picture below) is for?

I assume I am missing a third bracket on my swim step (in the center). If this is the case, I would appreciate any guidance as to part number or where I can secure what I am missing.

Thanks all.

s3ou92.jpg

The older Skier's and Sunsetters had three swimstep brackets. The two on the outside, and the one in the center. That is what that is. It looks like you are missing the support off the center of the platform. All the newer Bu's have two because of the wedge. My Sunsetter has the center bracket removed for the added wedge and it's no big deal at all. The step doesn't require a third bracket for support.

DSC04154.jpg

And hey . . I wouldn't mind buying that bracket you are now longer using . . . ;)

I'd happily sell it or give it to you, but the previous owner added the wedge and removed the center bracket. He is a MalibuCrew member so you could PM him and see if he still has it. His username is "rugger".

If he doesn't still have it you could probably find one here.

Good luck. Thumbup.gif

I'd happily sell it or give it to you, but the previous owner added the wedge and removed the center bracket. He is a MalibuCrew member so you could PM him and see if he still has it. His username is "rugger".

If he doesn't still have it you could probably find one here.

Good luck. Thumbup.gif

Thanks for the advice, answers and referral. Much appreciated.

And naturally there was someone with 2 Malibu’s in their garage who would have the answer. :thumbup:

And as they appear . . . with matching color schemes. Very easy on the eyes. Nice!

And as they appear . . . with matching color schemes. Very easy on the eyes. Nice!

No problem. Glad I could help.

I wish I still had them both. The Skier has been sold and moved on to another Bu Crew member. It was cool to have two Bu's (the twins LOL.gif) for a little while. Rockon.gif

The middle bracket was always missing on the Sunsetter from the day I bought it. I don't know off hand if the teak platforms of that era offered less lateral support than the newer platforms, but I never had any problems with just two brackets until I broke one (accidentally left the pin/screw out so one side floated up on the water and I stepped on it -- oops).

I too looked for stock replacements, couldn't find them, and ended up buying the aluminum brackets from Bakes, which are supposed to be a direct replacement for the old plastic ones. They are very expensive, however. I also couldn't figure out why but while the holes of the new brackets lined up perfectly with the holes in the transom, the swim platform ended up being an inch or so lower. So I ended up buying teak for spacers to get it back to the correct position (or else it dragged). Otherwise, the new brackets were nice.

I also replaced just the pair and not the middle because I knew I'd be adding the wedge. I planned to eventually add a piece of teak in between the deck and wedge bracket (made a space for it) as the third support, and then never needed it. So you might leave it as is if you don't have any problems.

Hope that helps.