Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 VLX transmission winterize question

jamesamantha

Hello,

I have a 2010 VLX with the 320 LCR package with what I believe is a ski-vee setup. The tranny has a metal plate on it stamped with 08020 and a 1.5:1 ratio. The tranny has a sticker with Dexron III fluid and the ski-vee has a sticker with Mobile Delvac Synthetic Transmission Fluid 50. Haven't seen that combo on the boards in my reading so must be something new?

My question is related to winterization. There are two 1/2 water hoses that run into the transmission. One goes into the top of the unit, the other comes off on the starboard side toward the bottom of the tranny. The hoses have crimped on metal ends with female threaded fittings that tighten down onto threaded fittings on the tranny. Am I supposed to take off the bottom water line running to the tranny?

I pulled the larger water lines off the ski-vee unit. I figured the tranny and ski-vee have separate cooling systems so that is where I am unsure about the need to pull one or both of the 1/2" water lines.

To complete the draining I also pulled out the block plugs, the big hose feeding the water pump, undid the manifold hose coupling, and pulled both hoses off the seawater pump.

Thanks,

James

Hello,

I have a 2010 VLX with the 320 LCR package with what I believe is a ski-vee setup. The tranny has a metal plate on it stamped with 08020 and a 1.5:1 ratio. The tranny has a sticker with Dexron III fluid and the ski-vee has a sticker with Mobile Delvac Synthetic Transmission Fluid 50. Haven't seen that combo on the boards in my reading so must be something new?

My question is related to winterization. There are two 1/2 water hoses that run into the transmission. One goes into the top of the unit, the other comes off on the starboard side toward the bottom of the tranny. The hoses have crimped on metal ends with female threaded fittings that tighten down onto threaded fittings on the tranny. Am I supposed to take off the bottom water line running to the tranny?

I pulled the larger water lines off the ski-vee unit. I figured the tranny and ski-vee have separate cooling systems so that is where I am unsure about the need to pull one or both of the 1/2" water lines.

To complete the draining I also pulled out the block plugs, the big hose feeding the water pump, undid the manifold hose coupling, and pulled both hoses off the seawater pump.

Thanks,

James

Yes you absolutely want to drain those tranny cooler lines. You can just unscrew that fitting and let it drain.

Maybe those 1/2" lines carry transmission fluid to a cooler? I see the 1/2" lines run into a metal tubular device (cooler) that the raw seawater pump hose runs through. So I will leave those alone.

Thanks,

James

Maybe those 1/2" lines carry transmission fluid to a cooler? I see the 1/2" lines run into a metal tubular device (cooler) that the raw seawater pump hose runs through. So I will leave those alone.

Thanks,

James

The lines with fittings installed are transmission fluid lines, running to the cooler.

You do not want to remove those.

The water lines all just have hose clamps, except for the one between the manifolds that has a garden hose-like connection.