Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First year for fuel filter socks?

I felt like a dikc telling my buddy to get a WIX 3299 for his 07 LSV with a Monsoon when in fact his fuel filter, I believe, are the sock type that are actually in the tank...? Oh well, I can use it and he owes me any ways :thumbup: Is 07 the first year for this type of fuel filter and did they do it on all models?

ok, assuming that's true, then why did they make this change? There must be some advantage right? A fuel filter change went from a 15 minute project to a 1 hour + project let alone how hard it must be to find the filters (although I would bet Bake's has them), certainly not as easy as going to your local Napa...?

Edited by Ndawg12

This is what I have gathered and may or may not be totally accurate. With the fuel pump attached to the engine on the pre-07 models and corn gas led to many vapor lock problems. They moved the fuel pump and sock filter to the fuel tank to help alleviate this. Also the new fuel injectors are better and don't need the better wix type filtration and can survive with the sock filters. There have been problems with the first generation pump/sock fuel system and now there is next generation which is supposedly better.

This is what I have gathered and may or may not be totally accurate. With the fuel pump attached to the engine on the pre-07 models and corn gas led to many vapor lock problems. They moved the fuel pump and sock filter to the fuel tank to help alleviate this. Also the new fuel injectors are better and don't need the better wix type filtration and can survive with the sock filters. There have been problems with the first generation pump/sock fuel system and now there is next generation which is supposedly better.

ah, that totally makes sense, vapor lock sucks. I remember seeing a crew member post pics of changing these and it looked like a PITA, I hope the interval is greater than 100 hrs on this new style...?

ah, that totally makes sense, vapor lock sucks. I remember seeing a crew member post pics of changing these and it looked like a PITA, I hope the interval is greater than 100 hrs on this new style...?

The new generation sock/pump supposedly lasts until the pump goes out.

Edited by eyepeeler

I changed mine this year and it was awful, really funny now, but bad then. Too much to type, I need to go to my happy place......

2007 does not use a sock, but rather uses a cartridge style filter accessed from top of tank. Held in with a snap ring, (it is under pressure, so bleed it off first) it's Wix 3048.

2008-up are all sock's I believe.

Peter

2007 does not use a sock, but rather uses a cartridge style filter accessed from top of tank. Held in with a snap ring, (it is under pressure, so bleed it off first) it's Wix 3048.

Peter

Try finding said snap ring in the dark after it flies out into the street. Then somehow, by grace, finally finding it and then as it's about on losing it again behind the ballast and fuel tank. :rant:

It has a happy ending though, I retrieved it with a magnet and some luck and got it put back on. Next time will be a piece of cake!

Peter

Ok, we're gonna need some pics of this!!

if you are going to change them, don't do it with a full fuel tank...

ah yes, your thread is the one I was referring to, I remember that pic. How much stabil did you add to your fuel!!??