Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 VLX Center Ballast

goneskiing

I have a 2007 VLX. We've diagnosed that the center ballast tank has a leak where the intake hose connects to the tank. I know to access the tank, I pull the front tank. Has anyone done much work on there center ballast tanks? Any tips?

Secondly, in 2008, Malibu added vents for the ballast system. Has anyone modified their tanks/lines on older model to make this addition?

Thanks

Are you sure the mid ballast is accessd from the bow ballast? in my 05 VLX you have to pull the floor panel up and remove the fuel cell, then slide the mid ballast back and pull it out.

What about some type of sealant or epoxy and repair the crack with the tank in place?

The problem is at the connection we believe. It's not a crack issue. We just have a flow/leak when we turn turn the pump on. It stops as soon as the pump is off. From what I've been told the tank is accessed by pulling the front ballast.

The problem is at the connection we believe. It's not a crack issue. We just have a flow/leak when we turn turn the pump on. It stops as soon as the pump is off. From what I've been told the tank is accessed by pulling the front ballast.

Could you put some pipe thread tape on it fix the leak?

Not sure specifically about that year VLX, but on my Vride, the center tank is accessed by pulling the rear floor up (just in front of the rear seat), pulling the gas tank, then sliding the ballast tank back.

I had the center ballast tank leak when the fill hose was crushed between the floor & the tank. You should be able to see this hose in the hatch by the drivers seat, and it loops above the floor inside the spotters seat by the walk thru wall. You can pull this hose without removing the tank.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I think your info is a little mistaken. Front ballast is above floor in the "play pen," center ballast is below floor in front of the fuel cell.

You're correct, I was mistaken in believing that I could access the center tank from the front. Thanks. Practically have to tear the boat apart to get to the center tank.

• 2 weeks later...