Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blisters

malinator

Was reading here what everyone uses to clean there hulls when I started to see some comments on blisters. Well ended up using some muriatic acid and as I was cleaning found what I had just learned about. Since this is my first season with this boat (2005 23' LSV) and still owe the balance of the 40k purchase price I flipped out about this and was sure I would put it on the market in the spring. After all buying a high end boat you would not think this kind of thing is possible. Now that I have calmed down a bit I have read alot more on the subject I now know a boat is not meant to be in the water.

So now that the boat is in the garage its been drying out for a while and some of the blisters are, at least on one side going away. My hope are that they will all be gone before next summer.

Question: Besides bottom paint has anyone ever tried to seal there gelcoat with a clear sealer? I have seached products and beside wax type sealers I am not seeing much. Any one familluar with TOON BRITE?

Was reading here what everyone uses to clean there hulls when I started to see some comments on blisters. Well ended up using some muriatic acid and as I was cleaning found what I had just learned about. Since this is my first season with this boat (2005 23' LSV) and still owe the balance of the 40k purchase price I flipped out about this and was sure I would put it on the market in the spring. After all buying a high end boat you would not think this kind of thing is possible. Now that I have calmed down a bit I have read allot more on the subject I now know a boat is not meant to be in the water.

So now that the boat is in the garage its been drying out for a while and some of the blisters are, at least on one side going away. My hope are that they will all be gone before next summer.

Question: Besides bottom paint has anyone ever tried to seal there gel coat with a clear sealer? I have searched products and beside wax type sealers I am not seeing much. Any one familiar with TOON BRITE?

Its a bummer to see blisters but it can happen on any Gel-coat boat because its porous.

Put some good heat on it if you can, like a propane heater. Most of the time you can get blisters to disappear all the way as long as they get a chance to dry out really good. If you can get the boat off the trailer bunks (floor jack & blocks) i would do it so the air can circulate there too.

Bottom paint, a few good coats or wax, or just pull your boat once a month and give it a break so it can dry out are the only good suggestions i have.

-Paul

Its a bummer to see blisters but it can happen on any Gel-coat boat because its porous.

Put some good heat on it if you can, like a propane heater. Most of the time you can get blisters to disappear all the way as long as they get a chance to dry out really good. If you can get the boat off the trailer bunks (floor jack & blocks) i would do it so the air can circulate there too.

Bottom paint, a few good coats or wax, or just pull your boat once a month and give it a break so it can dry out are the only good suggestions i have.

-Paul

Thanks for the reply Paul. Most of the blisters are confined to a 6" x 2' area on the sides and not a problem on bottom. Port side has diminished after a month or so out of the water. Starbord side not so good yet. There is one small hole that I guess was a blister that popped. I will clean and fill befor it goes back in the water. I was hoping to find a clearcoat of something that would seal the gelcoat at least in the problem area's and would last the whole season in the lake. I think I will try a spray can of this "TOON BRITE". Seams easy enough, I dont think it can hurt. Problem is not bad enuogh for a major repair (NO YET ANYWAY). My intentions was to have this boat for a long time for my 2" young" boy's to grow up on the lake with. We love the size and layout of the boat, it was a good choice for our need's. Just need to get over the investment and resale issue. After all the plan was to have it a long time!