Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blew both port side trailer tires

Huelsmma

So i noticed the boat shaking my lr3 pretty bad and looked in my mirror and noticed bulges and pulled off the road. Sure enough tread separated from the tires. Looks like the dryrott just gave up. Our boat literally sits 15 feet from our ramp, so it doesnt get trailered much except to get gas. Prob original tires for an 05, just bought the boat this fall. Luckily i noticed it while driving 35 mph vs 70mph if i were on the highway

Wow that sucks. Make sure you replace all 4. Next season will be my 3rd on my trailer tires and the last. I replace them every 3 years no matter what, even with good tread, just for that reason.

Well unfortunately most tire shops were closed or didnt have them in stock. So was stuck with a walmart who only had 2 of them in stock. Funny thing is i checked tire pressure this morning bc i was going to the gas station. Everything checked out fine but when i got up to speed it was vibrating my car at 55mph before i slowed. I have the boatmate tandem trailer that i heard at one point may have had a recall a few yrs back on the bad batch of rims...so i was pondering hear n the future whether to buy new rims as well and have them powder coated to match my suv.

Wow that sucks. Make sure you replace all 4. Next season will be my 3rd on my trailer tires and the last. I replace them every 3 years no matter what, even with good tread, just for that reason.

Why is it that they can't make trailer tires last longer? I have had my share of trailer tire failures also. 3 years does seem to be about the limit. Trailer always stored in garage when not in use. My truck tires are 4 to 5 years old and I have no fear of them separating as all my trailer tires have. Does everyone replace car and truck tires every 3 years if not worn out? Not me.

Why is it that they can't make trailer tires last longer? I have had my share of trailer tire failures also. 3 years does seem to be about the limit. Trailer always stored in garage when not in use. My truck tires are 4 to 5 years old and I have no fear of them separating as all my trailer tires have. Does everyone replace car and truck tires every 3 years if not worn out? Not me.

I still have and use my 1986 camper with its original tires. Trailer averages about 2000 miles a year. Stored outside year round. Armstrong tires.

Have blown many trailer tires. The wife blow out both right tires once in a mini-van by hitting a huge pothole. She was in the middle of nowhere and this was before we owned a cell phone! Somehow it only popped the bead so I was able to reuse the same tires.

The tires on my single axle trailer under my Sporty are 7 years old with no cracking and good tread life left. Stored in inside an attached garage. Keep them coated with 303. No problems. The first set wore out prematurely because the original owner ran them under-inflated and wore out the shoulders of the tread. Now admittedly, I tow approx ½ mile to the launch ramp so there are not a lot of miles on the tires.

I cant vouch for where the original owner stored the trailer and it reminds me we need to get a spare for it as well.

And if u get 4-5 yrs out of ur truck/car tires that would be nice! I got 1 1/2 yrs out of my last pair and they were toast.

Might be a dumb question (probably is...), but has anyone ever heard of/tried filling the tires with foam? I'm not terribly experienced with trailering, so don't make fun of me too badly please. A friend of mine does it on his bobcat for when he runs over nails. Just a thought.

Might be a dumb question (probably is...), but has anyone ever heard of/tried filling the tires with foam? I'm not terribly experienced with trailering, so don't make fun of me too badly please. A friend of mine does it on his bobcat for when he runs over nails. Just a thought.

Neat idea, but I think trailer tires would be tough to balance when filled with foam. I could be wrong, but it seems like it would be hard to get the foam density even inside the tire. Lots of low speed heavy duty applications utilize things like foam filled tires. My grandpa has always had his tractor tires filled with calcium to help weight the tractor down for good traction.

I cant vouch for where the original owner stored the trailer and it reminds me we need to get a spare for it as well.

And if u get 4-5 yrs out of ur truck/car tires that would be nice! I got 1 1/2 yrs out of my last pair and they were toast.

Were toast because they were wore out or from tread separation problems that kill most trailer tires? Most truck and auto tires are replaced because they were just used up, not because they just fell apart.DSC03077.jpg Used 3 years,always at 50 psi and stored in garage. Goodyear Marathons. Have had Carlisle trailer tires do the same.

Edited by dalt1

The weather cracking of tires is much worse when the tires are not regularly driven. The cracking is a function of heat , sunlight, and ozone. A trailer that just sits outside in sunny Florida would have the worst scenario possible. There is really no substitute for storing your boat inside if you can.

As I have posted many times I do not carry a spare for my boat trailer. Instead I spendt the money buying new bigger higher class rating tires and using them. In my case I went up one wheel size, one width size and made sure that I am using a "D" load rated tires. No fancy wheels and no low - profile sports car tires on my trailer. Give me a big load rating and lots of plies every time.

Since my first new boat in 1972 I have never had a trailer tire or wheel bearing failure because of over cautious maintenance. My thinking has always been when I want to go to the lake I actually "Want To Go To The Lake".. Because Oregon is a 6 month boating season instead of 10 months I just want to get to the fun every time with no delays. Hence the overkill on maintenance.

I bought a used 5 year old Beaver Motorhome in 2001 from Texas. Big Old Bus was stored outside. I had an inside (dual rear) tire blow on it near Mojave California. We got to spend 4 nights parked behind a truck repair shop waiting for the entire airbag rear suspension system parts to fix it. When the inside rear blew it took out the airbag suspension , hoses and other critical parts. What I did not know was that the previous owner had replaced the fronts and outside rears but not the inside rears in order to sell the coach. I thought I had stolen this coach in the middle of winter on the internet. I ended up spending another $10 grand on this coach bringing it up to snuff. Never again.

So i noticed the boat shaking my lr3 pretty bad and looked in my mirror and noticed bulges and pulled off the road. Sure enough tread separated from the tires. Looks like the dryrott just gave up. Our boat literally sits 15 feet from our ramp, so it doesnt get trailered much except to get gas. Prob original tires for an 05, just bought the boat this fall. Luckily i noticed it while driving 35 mph vs 70mph if i were on the highway

70 mph is too fast for these tires. Max speed is 65.

Have you guys ever seen what these tires have to go endure on very tight turns? The amount of bending, flexing, and twisting is crazy. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac but I don't turn around in it, I go around the block. I avoid very tight turns at all costs.

And to comment on ndawg...the side that blew is the side where i almost have to jack knife the trailer to get it in and out of the parking spot to unload and load the boat at the ramp. Only option i have right now.

The florida sun and heat r brutal im sure on the boat. Even thought about getting those wheel covrs like they use on rvs and cover them mon-fri.

Have you guys ever seen what these tires have to go endure on very tight turns? The amount of bending, flexing, and twisting is crazy. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac but I don't turn around in it, I go around the block. I avoid very tight turns at all costs.

Sounds to me like the load ratings should be adjusted lower if they can't take what they will be dealt. They are trailer tires and designed to be used as such. Trailers have to turn too!. I agree buying over rated load range tires helps but shouldn't be necessary.

Sounds to me like the load ratings should be adjusted lower if they can't take what they will be dealt. They are trailer tires and designed to be used as such. Trailers have to turn too!. I agree buying over rated load range tires helps but shouldn't be necessary.

:plus1: This is the solution I've found to, hopefully, get extra life out of a set. Our options are pretty limited and this topic is a dead horse. I bought my newest set of Carlisle's at Discount Tire and paid an extra $12 per tire for the lifetime unlimited warranty. I had the salesman show it to me in the fine print, no matter what, they will be replaced and I just have to pay another $12 to carry over the warranty.

:plus1: This is the solution I've found to, hopefully, get extra life out of a set. Our options are pretty limited and this topic is a dead horse. I bought my newest set of Carlisle's at Discount Tire and paid an extra $12 per tire for the lifetime unlimited warranty. I had the salesman show it to me in the fine print, no matter what, they will be replaced and I just have to pay another $12 to carry over the warranty.

What a coincidence I too have bought the same tires at the same store and used the same warranty. Keep a close eye on them and when they show signs of separating, take them back and get new ones before they BLOW!

70 mph is too fast for these tires. Max speed is 65.

This topic has probably been discussed over and over again, but I am wondering how many crew members that trailer long distances, keep it under 65mph?

Edited by RedOwl

This topic has probably been discussed over and over again, but I am wondering how many crew members that trailer long distances, keep it under 65mph?

Not me, I probably tow faster than I should, 65-70.

According to Goodyear if you add 10 PSI to the max you can up max speed to 75.

I keep it under 65. We tow about 50 miles round trip to the lake at least once a week between May and the end of Oct. I keep an eye on the tires, but we seem to be able to get more than three years out of a set without any trouble at all. I would think storing them in the sun would certainly shorten the tires life. Ours live in the garage with the boat.