Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New boom for Christmas

FarmerZ

When I traded up in boats this past fall, I sent along my ECI boom with the old boat. I've always been happy with it. Other than dragging my kids around and teaching a few people to ski, the only use it gets is from 1 barefoot buddy. Seems I can get either one for under $500, but close to that. Any thoughts on the comparison? I've heard ECI's can break, but I loved my last one for 5 years w/o trouble. What say you?

I've got the ECI and a buddy has the BFI. His mounting bracket is cumbersome and bolted on, mine is a quick release, so I like mine better for that. However, his also has the option of adding an extension, the ECI does not. I plan on having one made this winter by a machine shop, but not sure how that will work out.

So since you rarely would use yours, get the ECI which has the quick release, so that you don't have that bracket always attached to the pylon to bang your legs on.

When I traded up in boats this past fall, I sent along my ECI boom with the old boat. I've always been happy with it. Other than dragging my kids around and teaching a few people to ski, the only use it gets is from 1 barefoot buddy. Seems I can get either one for under $500, but close to that. Any thoughts on the comparison? I've heard ECI's can break, but I loved my last one for 5 years w/o trouble. What say you?

Sound like they last for at least 5 years.

I have a BI that I purchased new 5 years ago. In our short season here, I use ours a lot. It looks basically new and I have put some serious strain on it. One of my kids' after skiing fun is to grab all their friends and all go for a drag at the same time. It is funny to see 6 kids all one handed between the cables on the end of that boom while they attempt to keep from swallowing most of the river at just over idle speed. I dont know the specific capacity but the cables have never moved or loosened and it flexes well and returns to normal.

I have no experience with an ECI...

Edited by Shine

Beeman 1st, ECI 2nd. I have used both and if you ever want to use it out the right side of the boat, Beeman is definitely your best option. Peter with Smoothwatersports can help you out.

/Steve

Bemman with the center extension is great to get out of the spray, but I have found that if you cut about 3" off the ECI, redrill the hole, you can run it out the driver side and it works pretty good. Spray will always be an issue with the RLXi, but at least the shorter windshield gets the boom back forward.

Peter

I have a BI that I purchased new 5 years ago. In our short season here, I use ours a lot. It looks basically new and I have put some serious strain on it. One of my kids' after skiing fun is to grab all their friends and all go for a drag at the same time. It is funny to see 6 kids all one handed between the cables on the end of that boom while they attempt to keep from swallowing most of the river at just over idle speed. I dont know the specific capacity but the cables have never moved or loosened and it flexes well and returns to normal.

I have no experience with an ECI...

Agreed. The BI booms are rock solid. The one in our boat came from the PO of my old Skier. It's over 10 years old and looks and works like brand new.

Bemman with the center extension is great to get out of the spray, but I have found that if you cut about 3" off the ECI, redrill the hole, you can run it out the driver side and it works pretty good. Spray will always be an issue with the RLXi, but at least the shorter windshield gets the boom back forward.

Peter

I was planning on drilling a new hole to switch sides with it too. We have a long and narrow lake, and a pretty sharp turn is required at the end. When traveling counter clockwise, that makes the port side slow down and it's tough to make the turn. If the boom was on the starboard side, it would be no problem at all. I planned on doing something with this in the spring after getting the boat out of the barn.

But, why do you have to cut 3" off? Is that so there are not two sets of holes across from each other that may weaken the boom? The boom is packed at the lake house and the boat is in storage, so I can't line things up and look at them.