Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Handling HUGE waves???

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stanley Wheelhouse

• Bobby Light

• Bawshogg

• Ndawg12

:plus1: I would be embarrassed to have him represent my company's products!

My local dealer sure is glad to have Wheelhouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

somewhere back there it was mentioned to hit reverse after the rider falls.

We used to use that technique but now find it much better to simply hit neutral, crank the steering wheel to the non-weighted side, wait for the boat to drift around and then putt back to the rider.

This will help you avoid bouncing over waves to get to the rider.

We used to use that technique but now find it much better to simply hit neutral, crank the steering wheel to the non-weighted side, wait for the boat to drift around and then putt back to the rider.

:plus1: This is what I was taught from BS001---Shoot you don't even have to crank the wheel really. The boat turns naturally.

My local dealer sure is glad to have Wheelhouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

only 73 exclamation points worth though. I bet you can get to 100 if you post in the first person.

:plus1: This is exactly what I do when we're riding, never have to hit reverse and I run alot of weight. I'm not sure this situation is what the OP was questioning though.

:plus1: This is exactly what I do when we're riding, never have to hit reverse and I run alot of weight. I'm not sure this situation is what the OP was questioning though.

it wasn't the OP it was SW that said he hits reverse after the rider falls, just wanted to promote what I do when a rider falls.

:plus1:

it is quite effortless and natural, actually.

Edited by stroker-ace

it wasn't the OP it was SW that said he hits reverse after the rider falls, just wanted to promote what I do when a rider falls.

Oh yeah I wouldn't hit reverse if the rider falls.

That's what we do. I know a lot of you guys run a lot more weight than me, but you also have a lot more boat and A LOT more freeboard. Our rubrail has been under the water while surfing and wet while at rest. It makes you learn how to turn around very carefully.

We have tried the reverse method. It does work and keep from even having to turn the boat around. I just get sick of swimming back to the boat all the time. LOL.gif It's also a bit rough on the tranny to constantly go from forward to reverse while the boat is still drifting forward. Just my $0.02.

My $.02...When my rider falls, I shift to neutral and the boat starts to turn to the non-weighted side (starboard). The boat is turning by itself because of the list of the boat now. As soon as I am almost 90 degrees to the oncoming wave I hit reverse. This puts me at 45 degrees to the wave and also gets me in position to get back to the rider faster than waiting until the boat drifts all the way back around to head back to the rider. As soon as my wake passes, I shift into forward and idle to the downed rider. This way you can return to the rider almost in your own prop wash. I'm pretty sure that this is what was meant by shifting into reverse when your rider falls. I've been in many of the Texas Crew's boats that do the same thing.

For what it's worth, and in the spirit of answering the question about huge waves and the Delta, I wiill give my experiences.

The Delta is our favorite place to go. We have spent over 500 hours (engine hours) there in the last 5 years. We have had one incident with shallow water that ended our season. You do have to look out for floating and somewaht submerged logs at times. As far as huge waves - we have encountered them at times. My experience has been that most of the the "60 footers" will slow down when passing you if the slough or river is narrow. We do take some of the waves at about a 45 degree angle, timing applying throttle just right. We will take water over the bow on occasion if there are 3 or 4 people in the bow (boats are meant to get wet, right?) I will take a "huge" wave sideways without ever taking on water. Let experience be your guide. If you don't have the experience, then try different methods to see what works for you, your boat, the load you are carrying, etc. Above all - enjoy your time on the water! Life is too short to sweat a little water in your boat. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by mikeg

I know there are many crew members that frequent the Delta but I'm not one. Between the shallow water with underwater hazards, pi$$ poor water quality, and yo yo's in big boats like the OP described, I found it difficult to have a good time.

Every time I was there we experienced some kind of incident.

LS-One, You need to get out with us this summer, we'll show you some awesome places to go. :)

Joe Mama, Taking the waves at about a 30-45`is usually correct on most rollers up to 2-3 feet. However, on some of those really big rollers from yachts that are motoring with 4-5 feet rollers, you may have to take them straight on. To set yourself up, you will need to almost be at a stop or just plowing. Once you get up to the roller give it some throttle so that your bow can cut through it. Then after you get over the top, do not cut your throttle. Keep your momentum and actually give more throttle for the second roller. Practice doing some slower holeshots in clam water so you know exactly how your boat reacts, this way when you need to do various maneuvers you will already have that mindset.

As a new v-drive owner, you may also want to throw a fender overboard and practice approaches and pretend docking maneuvers. This will help you down the road. And if you haven't already done so, get your wife behind the wheel ASAP. Get her comfortable driving the boat, this will pay dividends down the road.

I used to drive my bass boat on the Mississippi and on super busy weekends, when either coming up on, or meeting a very large wave produced by either a cabin cruiser or a barge, if the wave was just too large with a tight frequency, I would drive up the wake at a 90 and just before the crest of the wake, make a quick turn coming down the back side at a 45. This move affectively decreases the frequency of the wake so you don't take the next roller over the bow.

My $.02...When my rider falls, I shift to neutral and the boat starts to turn to the non-weighted side (starboard). The boat is turning by itself because of the list of the boat now. As soon as I am almost 90 degrees to the oncoming wave I hit reverse. This puts me at 45 degrees to the wave and also gets me in position to get back to the rider faster than waiting until the boat drifts all the way back around to head back to the rider. As soon as my wake passes, I shift into forward and idle to the downed rider. This way you can return to the rider almost in your own prop wash. I'm pretty sure that this is what was meant by shifting into reverse when your rider falls. I've been in many of the Texas Crew's boats that do the same thing.

Whoa Ronnie! I did not know you also read minds. Thanks for clarifying what I could not.

Of course we will run over the rider. Is that not happens when you put the boat in reverse while wake surfing?????

Well My Friend We lie in a jabbing match as we have for quite a while. Your statement has proved the point. You are a jabber. You want to be scrappy. Yet when Challenged you back down or somehow try to rally non existent support to prove your point. Ultimately what you wind up doing is cutting down people or their post. This breeds negativity and discord in the wakesurfing community which YOU SHOULD BE A BIGGER PART OF.

This reminds us of three crabs in a bucket of water. The crabs could all work together to pull each other out of the bucket of water and return to the sea. However they do not. They will sit there and watch each other die. The reason is simple. They feel when one crab rises above another they will simply reach up and drag the other rising crab back down to their level. The will all watch each other die slowly.

For what reason do you feel the need to take jabs at Wheelhouse? If third person is all you got......?????

I read this post with alot of interest (at least the first page) as I live on an inlet and rollers (big rollers) are a part of existence here. I do have some comments on what I think works for the waves but first wanted to make a quick comment on the Ndawg / Wheelhouse slap down. I dont know either but would say this, Ndawg makes alot of helpful posts, don't see many "cut downs" so not sure about Wheelhouses comments and Wheelhouse, lets just say he loves himself, his boat, his friends and most of all his wake.

and just for the record I have the "little" boat and have a killer wake, not sure bigger is better, heavier is better..........

Now re handling the rollers:

try and get away from them if possible (RUN AWAY) if you can't then if possible motor along side them to see how many rollers and gauge the size

1) hit them at 45 degrees

2) ride first one slow, under power with bow up slightly, but not to fast

3) once through the first gully and u are riding up the second roller come on the power so the boat comes off the second roller and launches in to the third

good thing about having the torque is you don't need to much speed going into the second which reduces the slap going into the third.

We also use the stop, drift and return method described above for wake surfing. One caution: Wait until the surfer is done surfing to initiate this procedure. It's somewhat shocking how quick the closing rate is between a surfer and a boat suddenly put in neutral. Makes a big :bump: Followed by a big :rant:

Let's take this a little further. I've had the wakes on the irresponsible 60+ footers begin to break and curl with nowhere to run nowhere to hide. Does the 45 degree rule hold true? Seems to me in this case your bow may get pushed into the trough at 45 degrees and either roll or swamp the boat.

Last time this happened I was behind the boat and I thought my driver was going to fill the boat on one wave. He took it 80% and it got very wet to say the least. Instinct told be to get the boat name of the a-hole as it rumbled by 125 feet away.

I keep the plug in between the floor locker and engine and I added a second pump up front. I've had them both running on a few occasions where I got caught on large shallow lakes where the Florida afternoon storms with gusting wind come out of nowhere.

re the picking up a surfer we do the following and I have my boat pretty loaded, 750 in the corner, 500 in the belly, 400 on the floor and 2 155's on the seat and usually 200 in the bow.....and my boat is small

when the rider falls simply come back to slow (not neutral this saves in and out of neutral) let the boat sit down, when the wake hits the back bump the throttle, turn the wheel to the non surf side, let the wake kick you around.......wake is now past you slow back to the surfer..........all is good

I don't do the delta, but Cumberland and Dale Hollow both have a good share of oceanliners that cruise thru and make some monumental wakes.

I found it best to try and cross them as far back from the passing boat as I can, at about a 45 degree angle, and increasing power to get the bow up.

The worst thing to do is to slow down as you cross.

When did The Crew get to be such a flame fest? :lame:

I suggest you everyone stays on topic or create a separate thread for the bickering. This thread actually had a chance to be very informative and could potentially prevent a major accident in the future, but now we have to wade through the bs. This is just my opinion of course, so feel free to ignore/flame it.

Edited by Bu hoo