Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Handling HUGE waves???

Okay. I have a 2007 23ft wakesetter and just started to use in California Delta which is a maze of waterways about the width of a highway and then some as small as street. And huge Ocean boats sometimes out there. So I was close to a dead end near a restaurant when a very nice (NOT........) person driving a HUGE 40 ft cabin cruiser came towards me at 25 knots and the width of the canal was like only 200ft max and 15 foot depth water. Not much for me to do....well I could have done a uturn and drive 10 minutes the other way until I could escape this jerk....or I should have tried to wave him to slow down....

So regardless....I took the first wave slow and the second wave came crashing over my bow and into the boat and soaked everything inside. 5 minutes later, there were 2 small 15 ft boats with elderly people in them that were lucky they left later than when this jerk came by or they would have been toast.

I had a similar experience with large waves (but not as large as this one) and I started really slow and then hit the gas a bit to get the bow up high and was able to handle the waves.

But I wonder on these HUGE waves what's the best strategy without having the boat go completely out of water from first wave and then crashing down hard on second monstrous waves???? Or worse crashing down before the second wave comes and going under the wave? Anyone ever almost sink their boat with huge waves????

Thanks,

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stanley Wheelhouse

• Bobby Light

• Bawshogg

• Ndawg12

If possible I try to take them from the side. If the wave/roller is coming at you, at the last second pitch the boat so the wave hits you at either the starboard or port sides instead of from the front. It seems to work well for me.

If possible I try to take them from the side. If the wave/roller is coming at you, at the last second pitch the boat so the wave hits you at either the starboard or port sides instead of from the front. It seems to work well for me.

Plus1.gif Right on, sideways is the way I try to do it as well. The short dimension of the boat can change pitch with the wave surface much faster and will "fit" in the trough and not leave the transom on the first roller while the second one crashes into the bow.

It seems odd to me to try and take a wave from the side. I was always taught never to do that, as it is also easier to roll a boat on the short axis (side) like that. Then again, a huge roller over the bow isn't cool either. I'll be interested to see other replies on this thread.

It seems odd to me to try and take a wave from the side. I was always taught never to do that, as it is also easier to roll a boat on the short axis (side) like that. Then again, a huge roller over the bow isn't cool either. I'll be interested to see other replies on this thread.

I would never let a wave that could potentially roll my boat hit me from the side. If it were that large, I would try to take it at a 45. I think you need to use judgement there. I just know hitting a big one straight on isn't the way to go.

This expierience comes from countless hours of driving low freeboard boats that are sometimes heavily wieghted. I also use this technique when I have 3k pounds of ballast loaded on one side or the other . These boats are alot harder to flip sideways than one would think. Works great.

:lol: We're not talking about grandpa's Lund here.

I find that I do better if I hit the wave at a 45 under power. Think of like your surfing.... gas it to lean back. As your boat is going up the first wave, gas it just enough to keep the boat leaning back, but not so much that you launch off it like a jump. If you don't lean back enough (give'er enough gas), then your bow drops & you get swamped.

We see huge rollers on a couple places we visit pretty regularly, ie; the Columbia river (high winds) and the Snake river (agriculture barges). The rollers from the barges you can easily "surf" with your boat by feathering the throttle to keep your bow up & positioned right on the face. :crazy:

I was in the Delta also just by Steamboat slew and had a wake from a yacht go all the way over the tower. It was close to sinking my boat! Side to Side is the way to go, I dont even try to power through anymore!

Edited by riderite

I was in the Delta also just by Steamboat slew and had a wake from a yacht go all the way over the tower. It was close to sinking my boat! Side to Side is the way to go, I dont even try to power through anymore!

WOW. On our first trip down to the delta in June we had a cabin cruiser come by and we took maybe 20 gallons or so (nothing major but certainly enough to wake my son who was sleeping in the bow). Can't imagine taking such a big one... Scary.

We've been to Crescent Bar a number of times where the wind will kick up & we'll have 4' - 6' rollers coming at us in a matter of like 10 minutes. Typically we are out a ways & have get back to camp (hide behind the island at CB or get the boat on the trailer at Sunland). I'm curious how you guys would handle that if your response is to a single wave is to take sideways. The bottom line is you have to power thru it safely.

45 degrees is the way to approach it when under power and really slow down before the first wave gets to you. If you are on a plain and slow down after the first roller you will slam the bow down.

One of the things I do when idling or stationary with the boat loaded down and rollers coming at me is to keep the nose pointed at the rollers and back up, yep I said back up. Try it you will be surprised, just make sure the rope is out of the way and no one is in the water.

A while back on this forum was a question about who is responsible for damage caused by a wave or wake and the answer is the boat that created the wave. Not to many boaters know this.

-Dave

PUT THE BOAT IN REVERSE! DO THIS WHEN SURFING TOO. YOU WILL NOT WASH THE BOW IN REVERSE. IF THE WAVES ARE REALLY BIG GIVE IT A LITTLE GAS IN REVERSE BUT NOT A LOT.

PUT THE BOAT IN REVERSE! DO THIS WHEN SURFING TOO. YOU WILL NOT WASH THE BOW IN REVERSE. IF THE WAVES ARE REALLY BIG GIVE IT A LITTLE GAS IN REVERSE BUT NOT A LOT.

Ndawg12 doesn't like being yelled at. Ndawg12 also thinks it's a bad idea to put a boat in reverse when surfing :unsure:

:plus1: at 45 for rollers.

For multiple waves I ususally hit the first one at a speed that gives me max bow rise (usually 12 mph) then throttle up through the second (if there is one).

For unusally rough waters I combine both tactics. I plow at max bow rise, usually 12 mph, move the crew to the rear of the boat and hit all big waves at a 45 degree.

Backing up is never a good idea IMO. Takes too much time and is a PITA if you are dragging a rope. Also this is not usually a option if you drive a low freeboard boat like an Echelon or Response. Also you waste a lot gas doing this, as you are fighting momentum as well as the force of your own wake.

When surfing after the surfer is down I usually cut the throttle to idle and immediately do 90 degree turn so that I take the wave on the broadside of the non weighted side. Then idle back to the downed surfer, this has worked well on several different boats I have driven and has never failed me.

In my option it just takes awareness and experience to know what is the best tactic for the situation. There is not a end all be all but my tactics above have served me well.

Edited by JDubya

Ndawg12 also thinks it's a bad idea to put a boat in reverse when surfing :unsure:

Agreed. If anyone chillydips a 247, you really need to re-examine your driving habits. Weighted or not. And yes I have sucessfully driven a weighted down 247.

Edited by JDubya

Ndawg12 doesn't like being yelled at. Ndawg12 also thinks it's a bad idea to put a boat in reverse when surfing :unsure:

Wheelhouse does not like being yelled at either and did not realize the caps lock was on. Wheelhouse sometimes forgets how sensitive some Malibu owners are. Ndawg 12 maybe you could shed some light on that for us. Please accept Wheelhouse's apology NDawg 12.

Furthermore the response is from the perception of driving a loaded surf boat. One would not have a problem with large waves while surfing as the bow of the boat is high in the air and can handle the waves. However, when the surfer falls and the boat stops to turn around and pick up the rider, a great way to keep the bow from being washed out is to put the boat in reverse until the wake/waves pass. One would think that a 5 time bu owner with over 2500 hours on the water would know that you DONT put a boat in reverse while someone is riding or as to run over them when they fall.

Bash.gif

For what reason this needs to be further explained is beyond Wheelhouse. Furthermore Wheelhouse seeks to add value from experience to this post. Why is it that you seem to want to derail that. Perhaps you can oblige us oh great one.

Ndawg12 at it again! :rofl:

Unclear as to what he is at again. Clarification is always important........

However, Wheelhouse is at it again, promoting Malibu 247's as the surf boat and bringing riders like Chase Hazen and Companies like Shred Stixx and Slaysh Tank among others to Malibu. N case ur wonderin.

Further more the crew will be at it again this weekend enjoying the water.

Rockon.gif

Edited by Stanley Wheelhouse

JDubya is wondering why we are all talking in the 3rd person...

:crazy:

Anyone else like my avatar.

Lovin it fa sho.........Talking in third person is a characteristic of Wheelhouse. Cant explain it......just the way it is......