Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge Stuck Down

JAXONBOATS

We have a 2007 247 Wakesetter and the powerwedge just decided to stay down. Checked switch, did the forward gear 3 clicks, and even looked for a fuse behind the fuse panel but did not find any. Boat runs on 2 batteries consistantly, disconnected and reconnected no change. Wedge down works fine but we get nothing on the up switch. Inspected all the wedge assembly, everything looks complete and in perfect condition.

Any suggestions?

thanks

jax

Well take a look at this post there is a wedge fuse but's not near the fuse panel. It's located up underneather the healm. Not sure this would be the issue unless you had a spark of somekind but it's easy and doesn't cost anything to check. Just to be clear the wedge is completely sutck in the down position and won't make an attempt to raise even underway?

If that isn't culprit make sure the acuators are both fine of course, but around this time they did an upgrade as the shell casing was beefed up.

Yes the wedge is stuck in the down position. I found 3 fuses under the dash, none have a lable indicating wedge or not, checked all the fuses under the dash- or I think I did. In other forum wedge down postings they suggest a push button reset fuse. Do you think the 2007 has that?

Still stuck, not finding fuse but becoming very familiar with the underside of the dash

thanks

jack

I had the same issue on my 07 23lsv and no fuse any where. The issue was one of the rams was slow causing the wedge to bind. I just left it down all the time until the season ended then the dealer replaced only the slow one. No issues since.

Interesting, so one of the Lenco's was slow. I might disconnect them from the wedge and see if anything is binding or if they move at the same rate. When your wedge got stuck, did the switch control basically make no sound in the up button position and made sound in the down switch position?

The Lenco's look easy enough to replace, lets see how to confirm if thats it.

thanks

jack

Pulled the actuator pins out and disconnected from the bracket. Push the switch down and both motors make noise. NO response on the up switch.

Pushed and Pulled on the actuators with switch in the down position, both seem to make the same gear noise and both are in the same position. We did not find anything binding, Wedge moves up and down pretty freely. Up switch position still does nothing.

So far we have:

Tested Switch √ OK

Disconnected and Reconnect batteries √

Put drive in gear- flick switch 3 times √

Locate the 30 amp fuse under the dash √ Fuse looks good

Disconnect Actuators check for binding √ No binding found

Look for slow actuator – unable to confirm, both are stuck in the down position but both sound normal with switch pushed down.

Pulled the actuator pins out and disconnected from the bracket. Push the switch down and both motors make noise. NO response on the up switch.

Pushed and Pulled on the actuators with switch in the down position, both seem to make the same gear noise and both are in the same position. We did not find anything binding, Wedge moves up and down pretty freely. Up switch position still does nothing.

So far we have:

Tested Switch √ OK

Disconnected and Reconnect batteries √

Put drive in gear- flick switch 3 times √

Locate the 30 amp fuse under the dash √ Fuse looks good

Disconnect Actuators check for binding √ No binding found

Look for slow actuator – unable to confirm, both are stuck in the down position but both sound normal with switch pushed down.

Doubted the fuse were the problem but worth the look anyway. Couldn't you reverse the wiring on the switch so up means down and down means up to see if any power gets back there.

you didn't say, but are you either moving or manually moving the paddle wheel when trying to raise the wedge?

It seems like you've done your research, but since it wasn't specifically mentioned I felt I had to ask.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

While it was fun to find out about what causes the power wedge to get stuck the problem was ME. I opened up the manual last night and as CedarLakeSkier suggested, is the boat moving. The manual says the wedge will not move up unless the boat is moving at 1 to 10mph. The boat is on the trailer and with a quick low pressure air nozzle placement to move the Speedo wheel the Wedge works perfectly. Now I can get back to the fun stuff... waxing and polishing.

Lessons learned:

1. Read the manual - there was nothing wrong with the operation just the operator.

Malibu Crew support ROCKS!! Thanks all so much for the suggestions in trouble shooting!!!

We are back on the water today before a 4 day rain forecast.

WEDGE WORKS PERFECTLY

jack

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

While it was fun to find out about what causes the power wedge to get stuck the problem was ME. I opened up the manual last night and as CedarLakeSkier suggested, is the boat moving. The manual says the wedge will not move up unless the boat is moving at 1 to 10mph. The boat is on the trailer and with a quick low pressure air nozzle placement to move the Speedo wheel the Wedge works perfectly. Now I can get back to the fun stuff... waxing and polishing.

Lessons learned:

1. Read the manual - there was nothing wrong with the operation just the operator.

Malibu Crew support ROCKS!! Thanks all so much for the suggestions in trouble shooting!!!

We are back on the water today before a 4 day rain forecast.

WEDGE WORKS PERFECTLY

jack

I mentioned that in post #2, about working while underway. Glad that's all it was.

Similar to what my wife says, YOU DON'T LISTEN TO ME

We are so happy- time to put the gear in the boat, daylight is burning

Again, THANKS SO MUCH.

I prepared my wife for a couple hundred dollar fix, now I can buy another toy. ha ha

Again, THANKS SO MUCH.

I prepared my wife for a couple hundred dollar fix, now I can buy another toy. ha ha

I did the same thing back in late September! Went to pull the boat out of the water, and the wedge was still down. Told my buddy to back me into the water so I could put it in gear and raise the wedge, NOTHING. I was dreading taking it to the dealer to get fixed, and while driving to work the next morning I realized that the boat had to be moving, not just in gear. I felt dumb, but after realizing that I didn't have to pay to get it fixed, it felt so good to feel dumb.

Again, THANKS SO MUCH.

Well there is always something to buy for the boat, if ya can get away with it...go for it. :thumbup:

I did the same thing back in late September! Went to pull the boat out of the water, and the wedge was still down. Told my buddy to back me into the water so I could put it in gear and raise the wedge, NOTHING. I was dreading taking it to the dealer to get fixed, and while driving to work the next morning I realized that the boat had to be moving, not just in gear. I felt dumb, but after realizing that I didn't have to pay to get it fixed, it felt so good to feel dumb.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Buying more TOYS!! I really think we need the 2011 247 LSV, and working that with the wife unit; figuring I can wear her down.

Wish me luck

Hardest decision, what color combo?

Buying more TOYS!! I really think we need the 2011 247 LSV, and working that with the wife unit; figuring I can wear her down.

Wish me luck

Hardest decision, what color combo?

Malibu says you need a new boat as well... :biggrin:

That's not a real tough decision... dark blue and pearl white

• 6 months later...

I know this post is little old I've been having the same problems and need some help with my 2006 247 LSV, wedge is stuck down and wont go up even when cruising above 10mph. The actuators would make a sound as if they still work only if you press down on the wedge button. When the wedge button is pressed up there is nothing. Everything worked until after I had my boat detailed. I'm wondering if any relays or wiring might of got loose from being sprayed by a pressure washer? I'm sure the detailed did not spray under the dash where the wedge module/computer is located.

I tried looking for a fuse didn't find any under the dash.

I tried driving above 10mph.

I tried reversing the wires on the power wedge switch to make the actuators go up on the down position. Same thing nothing happens.

I have not tried to doth forward 3 click thing, couldn't figure out how that procedure works.

My left rear ballast also stopped draining. It will only fill.

The ballast and power wedge started acting up at the same time. Are the power supply such as fuses or relays tied in to each other?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the original post and the pictures, hopefully this will solve my problem. Had the boat out today for its inaugural run and found the power wedge to be dead, won't move in either direction. After reading the various posts on the topic here, managed to find the inline fuse, which I never would have done w/o the pictures. Fuse is burned out, will replace and check again, hoping that the burnt fuse isn't indicative of other problems with the actuators :unsure:.

thanks again for contributing the info and pics.