Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wakesetter VLX 2004 or 2007

malibubarefoot

Hey guys, I am really stuck on purchasing a new malibu. I was looking at both a 2004 malibu wakesetter VLX with diamond hull (kept on the aussie models until 2004) and the newer 2007 boat on the wake hull. I know there different boats but since i am buying them second hand it is quite hard for me to actually ski and board behind them. I ski probably and about 50% and i am a fairly good skier (course skiing) an i'll wakeboard 50% so is there really a huge wake difference between the old diamond hull and the new wake hull for both skiing and wakeboard wakes? I am really looking at the 2007 because i know i can get a better resale price for that boat if i need to sell it and it has the hammerhead 400 compared to the 2004's 340 monsoon.

:werule:

Hey guys, I am really stuck on purchasing a new malibu. I was looking at both a 2004 malibu wakesetter VLX with diamond hull (kept on the aussie models until 2004) and the newer 2007 boat on the wake hull. I know there different boats but since i am buying them second hand it is quite hard for me to actually ski and board behind them. I ski probably and about 50% and i am a fairly good skier (course skiing) an i'll wakeboard 50% so is there really a huge wake difference between the old diamond hull and the new wake hull for both skiing and wakeboard wakes? I am really looking at the 2007 because i know i can get a better resale price for that boat if i need to sell it and it has the hammerhead 400 compared to the 2004's 340 monsoon.

The 2004 with the wake hull is still gonna have a pretty big wake. I have the 2007 VLX with the Diamond hull and the wake is big. I demo it with the salesman and my buddy with nothing else in boat and thought it was great. After all gear and stuff different story. I thought I would be skiing the course with it, but the wake is just too big. Good Luck- Still love my Bu with the setup I have! :werule:

There is a huge difference in the two for skiing. Not as big a difference for wakeboarding.

I had a 2001 Sunsetter VLX, which would be the same hull as the 2004 you are looking at and now have a 2006 Wakesetter VLX, which is the same hull as the 2007 you are looking at. The SS VLX had a very nice and very skiable wake. Not quite as nice as the new VTX on the cut diamond hull and certainly not the same as a direct drive ski boat, but very nice. The WS VLX not so much. I have some friends that will ski behind my boat, but I don't even bother. It is not an enjoyable experience. I too am now skiing 50% of the time or more, which is why I am thinking of getting a new boat. Right now I have friends with DD boats that I ski behind and then they board behind mine. If you want to be doing skiing, esp in the course, don't consider the wake hull.

I agree with the above. I ski about 50% or the time. I have an 06 (same as 07) VLX on the diamond hull and like the skiing although I have never skiied behind a DD. I would say try to find another 07 on the Diamond. 07 would be my ideal boat because it doesn't have all the electronic switches (more stuff to break), but still has the cats. It may not be a deal breaker for you, but the interior size difference from 04-07 is fairly significant. Deffinently check them out before making any decisions.

If you want to have a chance of course skiing then you want the 04 for sure.

The Monsoon in the 340 is plenty of power for that boat so I wouldn't worry about that.

-Chris

Given that you ski/board 50/50 I’d say the ’04 will perform much better for skiing. The wake hull just isn’t going to be that exciting for slalom as there is a pretty big bump and it’s much harder than the diamond version. If you see yourself going more towards boarding and surfing then of course go w/ the ’07 as there are several improvements to that of the ’04. Though keep in mind the ’04 w/ the gorilla fins is also a sweet package and at the time was arguably the premier wakeboard boat, and still competes today. Engine wise while the HH has more ponies to the Monsoon the ’07 is approximately 1k more in weight as well. You can always reprop if need be, while the HH (383) is a huge improvement to the older HH it’s still not as bullet proof as the monsoon is. The ’07 comes w/ the Malibu cruise verses Perfectpass, wider hull, larger swim platform, may have the power wedge which wasn’t an option back in ’04, upgraded carpet among other things.

Hey , Thanks guys. Really needed that information ! It's really useful to get different points of view and expertise to help with my searching. We have narrowed it down to a 2004 wakesetter VLX if we can get our hands on one. There is one for sale with the diamond hull, great trailer, low hours and a hammerhead to boot! so hopefully we can give the guy a call about it today! I will let you guys know what happens with the boat searching.

Hey , Thanks guys. Really needed that information ! It's really useful to get different points of view and expertise to help with my searching. We have narrowed it down to a 2004 wakesetter VLX if we can get our hands on one. There is one for sale with the diamond hull, great trailer, low hours and a hammerhead to boot! so hopefully we can give the guy a call about it today! I will let you guys know what happens with the boat searching.

Glad we were able to help out. We'll also help out w/ unloading your cash in the future... :)

Just fyi there were some issues w/ the HH (365hp) back then so if it's got 100+ hours your probably good, but I'd certainly have the engine inspected just so you know it's totally sound. Not trying to scare you just a reality you'll want to check to make sure that it's tight.

Glad we were able to help out. We'll also help out w/ unloading your cash in the future... :)

Just fyi there were some issues w/ the HH (365hp) back then so if it's got 100+ hours your probably good, but I'd certainly have the engine inspected just so you know it's totally sound. Not trying to scare you just a reality you'll want to check to make sure that it's tight.

Ok so from what the guy selling the boat can tell us. It has been serviced by a Malibu dealership all it's life and never had a problem. It also has 145 hours. We are getting a mechanic to do a check on the motor but do you think with the amount of hours and history that there could still be any engine issues?

Ok so from what the guy selling the boat can tell us. It has been serviced by a Malibu dealership all it's life and never had a problem. It also has 145 hours. We are getting a mechanic to do a check on the motor but do you think with the amount of hours and history that there could still be any engine issues?

The hours are past the typical time frame where people had issues. Properly maintained it's probably ok, so if you feel the guy is honest and it checks out w/ you mechanic....you've done the best you can. At that point your able to move forward w/ all the info you can get.

• 4 weeks later...

Well thanks everyone for all your help! we just bought the 04 wakesetter and can't beileive everytime i walk out into the backyard! Can't wait to get it out on the water soon :) But again thanks everyone for the input.

• 4 years later...