Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finally got another Malibu -- thanks to the crew for help!

rugger

After selling my Sunsetter to MA a few months ago, I've been searching almost daily for its replacement. Thought it'd be something along the lines of a Sunsetter VLX (the 01 diamond)... but we decided to go bigger and found a sweet 03 Sunscape 23 LSV. Really excited about it and just wanted to thank everyone who shared their experiences with this boat.

Wanted a v-drive and a diamond hull, but never thought I'd find a 23 in my budget. Ended up getting a great deal, and the boat only has 60 hours. It feels practically new so our family is jazzed.

After all the rebuilding/customization of the Sunsetter, the new boat should be pretty simple to modify by comparison. It didn't come with a tower, so I already bought a used Titan 3 for it that will get stripped and polished this off-season. That'll be the first face lift and I've got a million other ideas ... but they'll have to wait too.

So thanks again to the crew for your input and for sending me leads. The "virtual" comparisons between this boat and others were helpful. I certainly couldn't drive them all (I did try though).

Not much bling yet, especially without the tower, but here's a few early pics. The clean look has actually grown on me. http://picasaweb.google.com/myfourday/TheNewBu#

post-5004-076276000 1289796784_thumb.jpg

Edited by rugger

After selling my Sunsetter to MA a few months ago, I've been searching almost daily for its replacement. Thought it'd be something along the lines of a Sunsetter VLX (the 01 diamond)... but we decided to go bigger and found a sweet 03 Sunscape 23 LSV. Really excited about it and just wanted to thank everyone who shared their experiences with this boat.

Wanted a v-drive and a diamond hull, but never thought I'd find a 23 in my budget. Ended up getting a great deal, and the boat only has 60 hours. It feels practically new so our family is jazzed.

After all the rebuilding/customization of the Sunsetter, the new boat should be pretty simple to modify by comparison. It didn't come with a tower, so I already bought a used Titan 3 for it that will get stripped and polished this off-season. That'll be the first face lift and I've got a million other ideas ... but they'll have to wait too.

So thanks again to the crew for your input and for sending me leads. The "virtual" comparisons between this boat and others were helpful. I certainly couldn't drive them all (I did try though).

Not much bling yet, especially without the tower, but here's a few early pics. The clean look has actually grown on me. http://picasaweb.google.com/myfourday/TheNewBu#

Rugger,

Nice! Way to go. Good lookin' Bu'

what lake are you at in this photo?

Thanks... we've only been out a few times, but so far so good. It felt like a barn find.... it was sitting in a garage for 3 years virtually untouched (love the low hours, but not ideal to sit for so long). The motor looks brand new, but all the fluids, impeller, gas, etc were replaced and everything checked out first. Runs perfect as far as I can tell. Just shined it up with a wash, polish and wax today -- just in time for winter. :(

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Rugger is BACK!!! :rockon:

Ha ha!! Feels good to have a boat again; I've been on the site way too often for a boat-less guy. Now I can once again make lots of bad suggestions and one or two good ones.

Nice! Congrats...do change your profile :tease2:

Gladly! I was just about to drive across the country to steal MA's Sunsetter from his underground fortress. I was just waiting for him to finish the T3. Now I don't have to steal anything.

Rugger,

Nice! Way to go. Good lookin' Bu'

what lake are you at in this photo?

It's at Folsom Lake in Nor Cal. Not much water left, I was rushing to get a few test drives before it was gone.

Gladly! I was just about to drive across the country to steal MA's Sunsetter from his underground fortress. I was just waiting for him to finish the T3. Now I don't have to steal anything.

ROFL.gif You crack me up!

You wouldn't be able to get past the retina scanners and the snipers. LOL.gif

I second the "clean look" Ben! 60 hours..wow what a find. I have 160 in 2 years. Your boat is almost 8 years old with 60 hours..wow. Love to see some more picks when you get a chance. I think you will be quite happy. Although I really liked my 89 Sunsetter as well the newer larger boats have a number of advantages you will really begin to appreciate! Keep the picutres coming!!

Thanks... we've only been out a few times, but so far so good. It felt like a barn find.... it was sitting in a garage for 3 years virtually untouched (love the low hours, but not ideal to sit for so long). The motor looks brand new, but all the fluids, impeller, gas, etc were replaced and everything checked out first. Runs perfect as far as I can tell. Just shined it up with a wash, polish and wax today -- just in time for winter. :(

Ha ha!! Feels good to have a boat again; I've been on the site way too often for a boat-less guy. Now I can once again make lots of bad suggestions and one or two good ones.

It's at Folsom Lake in Nor Cal. Not much water left, I was rushing to get a few test drives before it was gone.

I knew that was Folsom...the Granite Bay launch middle ramp.... The water level isn't bad at all especially over the last couple of years we'd be at the lower ramp for at least a month now. Still plenty of water up at Rattlesnake bar area. Talk to Luke @ Starone in Rancho they may have a tower left for ya.

Yeah boy! Rockon.gif Glad to hear you got it and are back in the Bu brotherhood! Thumbup.gif Like MDude said, get that profile updated! Clap.gif

I can't wait to see pics with a Titan III on it.

I couldn't wait either. Here's roughly what it'll look like. I might take the bubble wrap off it though, strip and polish. But the 2 x 4's will definitely stay. They look great and add more stability. :)

post-5004-051621400 1289964663_thumb.jpg

I couldn't wait either. Here's roughly what it'll look like. I might take the bubble wrap off it though, strip and polish. But the 2 x 4's will definitely stay. They look great and add more stability. :)

Nice! I love the Titan III. Rockon.gif

The 2X4's are a nice touch too. LOL.gif I can't wait to see it polished. It's going to give that boat a really sweet look!

I can't get over how tight your tires look to the wheel well! Can you get your hand between the tire and the fender? Must be a low rider option. Thumbup.gif

That is one sweet looking Bu!

Edited by martinarcher

I second the "clean look" Ben! 60 hours..wow what a find. I have 160 in 2 years. Your boat is almost 8 years old with 60 hours..wow. Love to see some more picks when you get a chance. I think you will be quite happy. Although I really liked my 89 Sunsetter as well the newer larger boats have a number of advantages you will really begin to appreciate! Keep the picutres coming!!

Thanks man. I also looked at 04s and newer because there are some great deals out there (and I love the newer hulls, style, features, etc). But I was able to get this one for almost $10K less than most I looked at -- and the 03s are on a diamond hull 23', which I didn't find a lot of. So I pulled the trigger. Happy I did.

The only thing I didn't really like on this one is the snap cover. I had bought an Evo for the other and really like them. But, oh well, at least the quality is there I'll just have to get used to the snaps. Now I'll flood this place with questions after making the leap from an 87, which as you know had a lot simpler electronics. Thanks for your input early on.

I knew that was Folsom...the Granite Bay launch middle ramp.... The water level isn't bad at all especially over the last couple of years we'd be at the lower ramp for at least a month now. Still plenty of water up at Rattlesnake bar area. Talk to Luke @ Starone in Rancho they may have a tower left for ya.

I've definitely been talking to Luke. Star One/Menace's product and customer service are second to none. They still have some T3s left if anyone's looking. But I just got extremely lucky and came across a used/demo version for a ridiculous price...$600 plus shipping ($275). JR at Tommy's hooked me up. I'm going to strip and polish it. Technically it was for a VLX, but so far it looks like minimal adjustments will need to be made.

Otherwise, I'm all over Star One's products. Hoping to buy a few Menace spinner racks at least to start with. Their products are truly top-notch, and as you already know, they're great to deal with. Wish it was summer.

Edited by rugger

Get that windshield frame polished up too, that really ties it all in nicely!

Looking great! :rockon: