Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear Ski Locker Ballast

greev30

Hello,

I have a 1997 Sunsetter with a wedge. I would like to shape my wake a litte better. I don't want to step over any fat sacs. I would like to have the boat open and easily move around it. I was thinking of adding a fat sac in the ski locker in the floor (pass through) and a fat sac in the rear ski locker above the gas tank.

Is it okay to put 300lbs on the gas tank? I don't belevie it is re-enforced.

Also, does anyone have any experience the automatic aftermarket ballest systems?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by greev30

Greev30,

I love the 97 Sunsetter. I have spent a ton of time behind that exact boat and when weighted down the wake is awesome. We usually weight it with a 750lb. Fat Sac on either side of the engine compartment but that does cause congestion so I totally understand your wanting to keep the sacs out of view. I have found that weighting the Sunsetter with a 50/50 distribution seems to work the best because of the direct drive motor configuration.

To weight the bow I would suggest either adding a sac to the ski locker or adding the integrated bow sac under the cushions up front. The amount of weight you will get will be similar from either option. The placement depends on what storage you use the most.

Do not put a sac on top of the gas tank. The plastic does not have the rigidity to support that much weight. You can add support but that will just take away from the space that you would have for a sac. To weight the stern I would suggest removing the rear bench seat and adding a sac in its place. Occupants will still be able to sit on the bag but it will be out in the open. I have seen some of our customers add a sac under the seat and build a new platform in its place that covers the sac. Unfortunately there is really no other space for water ballast.

As far as systems go you can either use an Aerator pump ballast system like Malibu uses from the factory or add an impeller (reversible) pump system similar to what MasterCraft uses. You have the space to implement either. I would probably suggest the Impeller pump system because it will be easier to install, have less connections to the bag (Fill/Drain and a Vent) and you could use one pump to fill and drain both bags if you wanted to. Figure about $270 for an Aerator system and about $400 for the Impeller Pump system per sac.

I hope this helps. This will be a fun project and the results are worth the time. Have fun and let us know if you have any other questions.

[email protected]

Steam clean huh? I will have to try that. Thanks for the Help! I will just have to suck it up and step over the fat sacs. When you buy those fat sacs and the tsunami pump do you have to buy the quick connect check valve or do they come with it? What if I got a 370lb sac for the front ski locker and two 400lb sacs for beside the engins? I figure it is easier to step over. I have usually roll up with a pretty big crew.

Steam clean huh? I will have to try that. Thanks for the Help! I will just have to suck it up and step over the fat sacs. When you buy those fat sacs and the tsunami pump do you have to buy the quick connect check valve or do they come with it? What if I got a 370lb sac for the front ski locker and two 400lb sacs for beside the engins? I figure it is easier to step over. I have usually roll up with a pretty big crew.

No problem. We just steam cleaned the boat with our Bissell cleaner yesterday. It's something I started doing for the winterization cleaning routine. it really keeps the boat carpet looking good.

The Fly High fat sacs come with the quick disconnect fittings you'll need. If you buy the pump with the fittings and hose you'll be all set (it will have the opposite fittings that mate with the quick disconnects that come on the bag.

Basically each bag will come with one of these and a a plug for the other threaded holes in the bag....

fly-high-quick-twist-w730.jpgfly_high_fitting_w730.jpg

The pump comes with a male fitting on the pump body and one on the end of the hose. The end you use depends on if your currently filling or draining. The Tsunami pumps and pretty fast and push water well. They do not suck water like an impeller pump.

A great place to get sacs and pumps is www.buywake.com They support the crew and if your a paid member, they also offer a discount.

Hope that helps! Thumbup.gif