Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rubber or Stainless rub rail

footndale

The Ski teams I know don't usually treat their boats very well. i.e. coming into the dock and bumping up against it etc. I would think that the stainless rub rail would dent versus the rubber/plastic one can get gouges. I would say it is a toss up, but if it is about looks, the stainless looks better to me.

When I joined Mint lake last year I showed up to put my boat in the boat house and I notice two things right away. The boat house rollup door is narrow and two there is no carpet or bumpers to help guide me in. Just wood. I was seriously nervous about this at first and it would sometimes take me several attempts at getting the boat lined up before proceeding through the door. After riding with some other members in their Malibu with the SS rub rail I feel very confident in saying the SS holds up way better than the old rubber rails. No comparison, the stainless is awesome. Looks brand new all the time, doesn't show white scuff marks from bumbers, doesn't dent. It just takes the hits and keeps on looking great.

When I joined Mint lake last year I showed up to put my boat in the boat house and I notice two things right away. The boat house rollup door is narrow and two there is no carpet or bumpers to help guide me in. Just wood. I was seriously nervous about this at first and it would sometimes take me several attempts at getting the boat lined up before proceeding through the door. After riding with some other members in their Malibu with the SS rub rail I feel very confident in saying the SS holds up way better than the old rubber rails. No comparison, the stainless is awesome. Looks brand new all the time, doesn't show white scuff marks from bumbers, doesn't dent. It just takes the hits and keeps on looking great.

Good to know. I was wondering if it would dent.

Nice thing about the rubber is you can replace the insert for around $100.

Takes some work to hurt the stainless though.

-Chris

Easier said than done, the elbow grease involved is worth way more than the $100

Thanks for the comments. Our team is very good on equipment for the most part. Maybe show ski teams are different, but we can't afford to be rough on equipment. There is no endless supply of money coming in.

Dwight

Easier said than done, the elbow grease involved is worth way more than the $100

Oh come on, two screws and a rubber mallet and you're done in 1/2 hour. I'd prefer that over removing and polishing/sanding out a stainless rubrail, trust me I've done both.

To the OP, If you guys are good on the stuff people like stainless on resale because almost all the new boats have it.

-Chris

Thanks for the comments. Our team is very good on equipment for the most part. Maybe show ski teams are different, but we can't afford to be rough on equipment. There is no endless supply of money coming in.

Dwight

Yeah Dwight, I meant Show Ski teams. I know quite a few peeps on Show Ski teams and MAN they beat their boats up.

Both my previous boat, which I purchased new in 2000, and my current one which I purchased two years ago, had/have SS rub rails. The stainless does not dent and requires basicallly zero maintainance. Had the previous boat 8 years and the rub rails looked basically new when I sold her. Really don't know why anyone would go rubber considering how well the SS holds up. One opinion.

Ed