Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wakeskates

Toby

I would just like to support the chucks and vans for skating. I have a ton of them in the closet as well and have skated them both. I just prefer the Adidas. They are a little bigger and have a little more grab...but now I am splitting hairs.

You can get a perfectly usable HL/LF skate for $100-ish. Most shops have their skates and surfs 20%-40% off right now. I almost picked up a Broadcast Surf and a LF skate for the regular price of a Broadcast the other day...then the reality of a pregnant wife kicked in and I bought a crib :Doh:

Which one should I get? Im 5'10" 170 lbs, and have never skated before...

The HL 112cm will fit you fine. I have that same board in a 116 and I am 6' 180lbs. That board is kinda thin and slippery (thin edge) so it can be tricky, but not bad. The thicker the edge, the more it grabs and can tire you out quickly. Having said that, it is a very manageable board, but a little slippery. That was my 1st board. We use it to do really squirrely stuff with a rope on a surf wake these days.

Thanks for the info Ace, I'm deffinatily going to pick one up before next spring! :rockon:

they are fun and super easy to get the hang of. not like i can bust ollie-impossibles or big-spins or anything...it is just good to be able to jump in the water with a board and be riding in seconds when you dont feel like strapping a wakeboard on. i also like the fact that you can bail any trick without worrying about getting twisted up in bindings.

one more plus is that you can do it very easily behind DD boats like ours. you dont need much wake to do some basic carving, switch stance tricks, boardslides on the wake, etc.

oh, you can ride the Scape barefoot too, since it has a foam top as opposed to grip tape.

they are fun and super easy to get the hang of. not like i can bust ollie-impossibles or big-spins or anything...it is just good to be able to jump in the water with a board and be riding in seconds when you dont feel like strapping a wakeboard on. i also like the fact that you can bail any trick without worrying about getting twisted up in bindings.

one more plus is that you can do it very easily behind DD boats like ours. you dont need much wake to do some basic carving, switch stance tricks, boardslides on the wake, etc.

oh, you can ride the Scape barefoot too, since it has a foam top as opposed to grip tape.

:plus1: I'm still healing slowly 3 months later from busting my ankle on a wakeboard, one foot came out of the bindings and the other stayed in and went with the board!! Wakeskating and surfing are what I'm gearing up for next season.

Edited by Ndawg12

:plus1: I'm still healing slowly 3 months later from busting my ankle on a wakeboard, one foot came out of the bindings and the other stayed in and went with the board!! Wakeskating and surfing are what I'm gearing up for next season.

ya, surfing is all the rage with the old folks...skating is all the rage with those that dont think they are old :innocent:

Edited by stroker-ace

Question for you guys....

I tried my cousins skate last summer and kind of gave up after a half a dozen pulls of it slipping out form under me or me stepping off the thing. I'm pretty at home on a wakeboard, but man is a skate different! What's the trick to keeping it under you? LOL.gif I wouldn't mind picking up a cheap one and giving it a real chance. I know it's going to take some serious time to get decent with one. I guess that goes with anything I've stood on behind the boat. LOL.gif

how do you mean 'slipping out from under you'? You were going out the front?

There are 2 main ways to get up on it. Float the board in front of you. lay on your back with your heels on the edge. with a little line tension the board will come up on your feet, then its like getting up on a wakeboard.

Or, stand on it in the water and allow the bouyancy to hold it on your feet. simply angle it up once the boat starts to go, also like a wakeboard start. while this way is easier and less stress on your body IMO, it is harder to get the hang of.

or

this

or

this

The hydroslide board there is the basic of basic. HOWEVER, the cassette bag it comes with is dope. A LOT of skaters have purchaced that purely for the bag.

long live cassette. the first REAL wakeskates.

how do you mean 'slipping out from under you'? You were going out the front?

There are 2 main ways to get up on it. Float the board in front of you. lay on your back with your heels on the edge. with a little line tension the board will come up on your feet, then its like getting up on a wakeboard.

Or, stand on it in the water and allow the bouyancy to hold it on your feet. simply angle it up once the boat starts to go, also like a wakeboard start. while this way is easier and less stress on your body IMO, it is harder to get the hang of.

No trouble at all getting up. That was the easy part. It just seemed like any time I would try to carve aggressively at all the board would flip out form under me and shoot it the opposite direction than the way I was trying to edge. I guess a skate just can't edge near as hard as a wakeboard? That or I just suck on a skate. LOL.gif

My kids love to wakeskate. I also appreciate the fact that there is no prep to get going. No boot lube or bindings to mess with. Just toss the skate in the water and jump in. I have also had a few guests on the boat who have taken bad falls on wakeboards and decided it was too hard on their necks to try again. On a skate you don't fall nearly as hard if you catch an edge and I have convinced them that it is safer. This summer my kids even tried sitting on their skate. Worked pretty well. It was pretty hysterical to watch too. Then we tried using our surf board as a wake skate at 60' back and tried jumping the wake. Again, very amusing.

• 3 weeks later...

so we got our 2011 remote pastura during the week from aacadia.com

a lot shorter than our catalyst 2.0 and will take some getting used to but so far so good. my brother was almost sticking 360 shuvits

al%20shovin.jpg

Just ordered my first Skate! :rockon: I got the HL Scape 112

This season is going to be awesome, can't wait to try out surfing and skating.

PS, what speed do you guys typically skate at?

Edited by Levi900RR

most people would skate a little slower than what they wakeboard at. just a mile or two IMO.

Thanks for the tip Toby, I'll start there and see where I feel comfortable. I guess I have about 4 months to think about it :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

well, to fill in time between boat sessions, we are getting a winch! :yahoo:

getting parts shipped from the states from these guys. http://www.ridiculouswinches.com/ridiculous.html

they have been awesome in helping us out. now we get to skate up every puddle we want!

the remote has been going sweeeet. i am getting my shuvits back and riding a lot better. best board i have ever ridden.

skiing? whats that?

well, to fill in time between boat sessions, we are getting a winch! :yahoo:

getting parts shipped from the states from these guys. http://www.ridiculouswinches.com/ridiculous.html

they have been awesome in helping us out. now we get to skate up every puddle we want!

the remote has been going sweeeet. i am getting my shuvits back and riding a lot better. best board i have ever ridden.

skiing? whats that?

That sounds awesome, I cant wait to see some pics!

Remote skates are a lot of fun. they are the fastest wood boards out there. Almost no drag. And the concave shape is so nice. The Cereal graphics for 2011 are awesome too. The flatter rocker made it not as snappy for me compared to other boards but I got used to it.

A lot of you guys in the thread are looking at flat decks (the decks <$100). there is a huge difference between flat decks and concave decks. Concave makes it way easier to control the board. Especially when doing tricks.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started skating this past summer and am completely hooked!... I started off with a base Hyperlite, then it didn't take long to want more. I bout the Brian Grubb pro Model Nomad 42".. Continued to ride barefoot, then decided to buy shoes. Went with Kustoms.. Sooooo much better whereing shoes..

I have also ridden the Hyperlite Vinyl bi. Pretty cool board. I am foryunate that a world champion Wakesket lives on the lake and I get to ride with him!..Its just as fun watching someone really good as riding.

I have so much to learn, and cant wait till summer..Going to order a new board before then...

Matthew