Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Time to renew my insurance

stroker-ace

I was with Ski Safe last year and I know some people have suggested that I might want to try another company for various reasons. I was hoping to get some suggestions and testimonials. TIA :thumbup:

I have always had the best luck with whoever I had for my homeowners insurance. I was attached to the policy thus it was also covered under my liablity limits also which I have set high.

Based on some posts earlier this summer, we made the jump from State Farm to Boaters Insurance. I went from about $600 down to $300/yr. Also ditched State Farm with the rest of my policies and moved to AAA. State Farm had really been creeping up over the last few years.

I have always had the best luck with whoever I had for my homeowners insurance. I was attached to the policy thus it was also covered under my liablity limits also which I have set high.

Ski Safe is tethered to my homeowner's policy. $500/yr.

Progressive rates are really good, plus I have a stated policy with them. But I cannot confirm how good they are with a claim. Never had one.

I had a claim this summer and they were very good about it. Actually showed up in one of those white progressive vehicles with big blue letters on it like you see in the commercials. It was less expensive as well than other options. They seemed to be intent on making sure my problem was resolved completely after the initial claim as well. (no I don't work for them, HAHA).

Ski Safe used to be associated with USA Waterski.

Several years ago I had my boat insured by Ski Safe, primarily because were members of USA Hydrofoil (who is a part of USA Waterski). We had to have a special addendum added because we rode SkySkis. But we got special rates for being a member of USA Hydrofoil. Then out of the blue, with no claims or accidents, we were dropped. I heard from others that claims were denied, coverage was dropped, etc. Then USA Waterski ditched Ski Safe. I believe their attached to Global now.

Plus they were notorious about quoting rates & then the coverage was only 6 months of the year.

I have everything with Safeco, including home owners, car, boat, ATV & golf cart. Plus an umbrella, which increased the coverage all the way around. And actually made the total bill a bit cheaper.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Can I make a comment about this thread? No? Well too bad...

I am glad we are all sharing information but keep in mind, that $$$ figures are meaningless unless we also know what boat you have and what your coverage types and limits are. Just because one person pays $300 and another pays $600 does not mean one is getting a better deal. I know everyone here is a lot smarter than I and probably realizes this. But on the off chance there is one person that doesn't realize this, I felt the need to throw it out there.

So here is my contribution:

Boat: 2010 Wakesetter 23LSV

Total Replacement (Agreed Replacement Value) $75,000 for the boat + $5,000 for the trailer w 750/100 deductible.

Personal Property $500w a $250 deductible (we lowered this because this stuff was covered under our Home Owners Personal Property Add On and our Umbrella Policy)

Towing up to $400

Liability $500,000

Medical $5,000

Uninsured Boater $500,000

Total Annual Cost: $590

I went with Progressive. I can't state first hand how they are with a claim, but the previous owner had a claim with them and said they were just fine to deal with. Plus, I really like when I quoted them online and had a question, I called them up and someone answered the phone at about 9 at night. That was nice.

I have a ton of policies with State Farm (auto, home, rental property, personal liability, life, personal valuables, etc) and they were nearly double the rate Progressive gave me on the boat. It makes me wonder what else I may be over paying on......

I’ve been with Progressive for years. I was with USAA bout they dolled out their boat insurance to Progressive. The only claim I have made was with a Sea Ray I used to own. I ran it in shallow water once and it sucked up a bunch of muck. Engine overheated and died. As I remember, the repair bill came to about $1400 which Progressive covered.

I insured my past 5 boats with BoatUS. The phone number is 1800 283 2883.

My last boat was a 2010 SANTE 230 TE.

I insured it for 80k + 3k on the trailer

With a 1,000 deductable my premium was $390 per year.

However, I have taken a boater's safety class and I have been operating a boat with no accidents since I was 14.

I used Ski Safe for 10 years and it always included the basic USA Waterski membership. Ironically when I got the valpack from the USA Waterski membership welcome package there was an ad for H2O Ski Plus. So for the fun of it I called them up and got better coverage with a better rate with no layup. Been with them for four years and my rate has not increased. 800.748.0224

I insured my past 5 boats with BoatUS. The phone number is 1800 283 2883.

My last boat was a 2010 SANTE 230 TE.

I insured it for 80k + 3k on the trailer

With a 1,000 deductable my premium was $390 per year.

However, I have taken a boater's safety class and I have been operating a boat with no accidents since I was 14.

no liability? no UB?

another progressive vote here. I pay $415 a year. I can't tell you the exact coverage, but put it this way, I was in such a rush to put my new boat on the lake, I called progressive 5 minutes before, said "yes, whatever the top option is" for every question they asked me and bam, I had insurance. I also insure my truck, car and house through progressive.

I can't speak for boat service, but I had a comprehensive auto claim a few years back from a large branch hitting my car on the freeway. Progressive drove out, looked at my car and gave me a check right then. my rates never changed. plus the check was 2x what it actually cost for the repairs at the local body shop.

For boat insurance, I would recommend an insurance company that specializes in boats. Boat US, Ski Safe and Boaters insurance Agency are regarded as the best. Your home/auto companies have minimal coverage for things such as your boat sinking, the value never depreciating and pollution liability. I know Boaters Insurance Agency is very competitive and has a 5 Year Factory Warranty with Indmar Engines. You get 5 years of Indmar's factory warranty included with the policy. Catch, it has to be on 2011's or newer.

Damn i'll have to contact my buddy. Hes paying 75/mo so roughly 900/yr. Now hes in fl so its insured longer probably. Need to find out what co he went with. Hes 25 so that may make a big difference lol

Damn i'll have to contact my buddy. Hes paying 75/mo so roughly 900/yr. Now hes in fl so its insured longer probably. Need to find out what co he went with. Hes 25 so that may make a big difference lol

i think fla is a special case wrt boating because of easy access to the big pond.

I've had SkiSafe for several years, runs under $300/yr. Had a recent claim (my first ever) that was handled reasonably promptly and without issue. For me SkiSafe service has been great and the price seems about as good as it gets.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

You might give this guy a call. He was helpful, even on weekends

Jason Kendell

Veritas Insurance Group/Travelers Marine Insurance

phone 813-325-1683

Agreed value policy as opposed to actual cash value (declining)

policy includes mechanical breakdown coverage

Premium was 40% less than my Nationwide Agent with his Actual Cash Value policy (even with my home and cars)

Bozboat