Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Tow Vehicle TIme - Sequoia or Tahoe or Denali?

jeremyk

Sequoia or Tahoe or Denali?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What tow vehicle would you get?

• 2011 Toyota Sequoia
    • 2011 GMC Denali
    • 2011 Chevy Tahoe

Love my Tahoe -- bulletproof. Denali -- even better.

Sorry blue oval guys, you've been mislead. :whistle:

No way....your crazy! Crazy.gif I love my classic blue oval! Rockon.gif

Edited by martinarcher
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeremyk

• jetskipro550

• srock

• Huelsmma

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've towed with a lot of vehicles and I can tell you I'll never purchase another tow vehicle that doesn't have an air suspension. I haven't towed with any vehicles being mentioned so I don't have an apples to apples comparison, but it's definitely something to seriously consider. From my experiences the ride quality while towing with a vehicle that has an air suspension is far superior to any vehicle I've towed with that didn't have one.

Air ride makes a huge difference, its also an easy after market install for the trucks that it doesn't come stock.

The Toyota 5.7L V8 is rated at 381 SHP and 401 ft-lbs of torque.

The Denali 6.2L V8 is rated at 403 SHP and 417 ft-lbs of torque.

No replacement for displacement.

And more torque is more pulling power.

Air ride makes a huge difference, its also an easy after market install for the trucks that it doesn't come stock.

I love my air ride suspension on the land rover... Makes it seem like the boat is not even there. 7700lb tow rating. Still rides like the luxury suv and has every bell/whistle known to mankind. Higher price tag but i love it. Was an upgrade compared to the denali

I love my air ride suspension on the land rover... Makes it seem like the boat is not even there. 7700lb tow rating. Still rides like the luxury suv and has every bell/whistle known to mankind. Higher price tag but i love it. Was an upgrade compared to the denali

Too bad they pulled all those bells and whistles out of their nav system. That killed it for the wifey.

I appreciate the offer. I actually drive an 02 Denali now. It's the wifes business car though so it's time for an upgrade. And I do love it. Just wondering if I would be happy saving a few bucks by going Tahoe this time.

if you like towing with your current denali, then you will love the engine/transmission combo in the new denali. the older style has the 6.0l that Chevy did offer in the Tahoe for some time.

The advantage to the Tahoe is that it has the selectable 2wd/4wd. However, a fully loaded LTZ is about the same as the Denali, and you get the 6.2l and a heated steering wheel! :) (plus a few more chrome trip pieces)

You probably remember the snow storm we had here 2 years ago. i was worried about the AWD in the denali going over the plateau. however, i had the tires sipped (not sure if that did anything) and i was passing quattro's and subaru's without any issues.

My only recommendations are:

1) get black interior - we have the cashmere and it shows EVERYTHING

2) get the bench seat in the middle row - with the back seats in, you have ZERO room behind the third row. if you take them out, then you only have a 4 passenger vehicle.

Stop at a :ford: dealer and have a look at a truck with the new ECOBOOST more H.P. and Torque then any truck out on gas.

I'd like to test drive an F-150 w/ the new 6.2l engine... Anyone around here tried one yet?

I voted for the Denali. My wife said she wouldn't vote because you didn't offer color choices. :lol:

Would probably be the white diamond tricoat if it is a gm rig. Prob something similar if it was the Toyota.

Can I put my 0.02 in for a Ford product?

We have an 05 Expedition and we love it. It has the towing package making the maximum towing capacity 9,200 lbs. It basically tows the boat like it isn't there.

Another plus is size. The Expedition fits in my garage with a bit of room in front and has a small turning circle (actually several feet smaller than the turning circle of my previous vehicle - a 2004 Ford SportTrac). If you want a larger vehicle, Ford makes a longer version of the Expedition. For my mostly local commute the Ford get 16 MPG. On the highway not towing the boat (come to think of it, why would I do that) it get 17.5 - 18 MPG. Towing in the lower NH hills: my 03 Sunscape 21, a very full load of people & gear/supplies, and a roof top carrier - it gets 13-14 MPG.

Of the others mentioned, my preference would likely go to the Toyota, but I have almost no experience with the GM products in the list. My recollection from when I was looking for my vehicle was that the Toyota was very pricey. That may have changed with Toyota working to get their market position back after last year's very public issues.

I have had many tow rigs. Suburbans, tahoes, & now I have a 07 Denali, By far the best tow rig I have ever had, way more power then even my last 02 big block Sub....and not to mention style points.

If chevy still offered the 6.2 I would jump on it but they stopped in 2009 because there wasn't enough differentiation between that package and the Denali.

My 09 Tahoe with the 6.2 with the 6 speed, and autoride is truly a pleasure to tow with, and like everyone has mentioned you really don't even notice the boat is back there and I often don't feel I need to be in tow/haul mode -- I have had heavier trailers than my boat for work behind my truck where tow haul mode was really needed and the 6 speed shined through in combo with the 6.2 -- that being said I would NOT get the Tahoe with the 5.3 -- good luck and post pics of the whole set up when you finally pull the trigger

Stop at a :ford: dealer and have a look at a truck with the new ECOBOOST more H.P. and Torque then any truck out on gas.

Torque number is impressive at 420, but it is far from having the highest HP for gassers.

personally, I'd go with a denali XL.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Can I put my 0.02 in for a Ford product?

We have an 05 Expedition and we love it. It has the towing package making the maximum towing capacity 9,200 lbs. It basically tows the boat like it isn't there.

Another plus is size. The Expedition fits in my garage with a bit of room in front and has a small turning circle (actually several feet smaller than the turning circle of my previous vehicle - a 2004 Ford SportTrac). If you want a larger vehicle, Ford makes a longer version of the Expedition. For my mostly local commute the Ford get 16 MPG. On the highway not towing the boat (come to think of it, why would I do that) it get 17.5 - 18 MPG. Towing in the lower NH hills: my 03 Sunscape 21, a very full load of people & gear/supplies, and a roof top carrier - it gets 13-14 MPG.

Of the others mentioned, my preference would likely go to the Toyota, but I have almost no experience with the GM products in the list. My recollection from when I was looking for my vehicle was that the Toyota was very pricey. That may have changed with Toyota working to get their market position back after last year's very public issues.

Not picking on you, but no 1/2 ton gasser is going to make it feel like the boat isn't there. I hear this all the time and it annoys me. What were you towing with before the Expy, a Fiesta? :lol:

Second, the Ford 5.4 lacks serious power compared to the Toyota 5.7 and the GM 6.2

Not picking on you, but no 1/2 ton gasser is going to make it feel like the boat isn't there. I hear this all the time and it annoys me. What were you towing with before the Expy, a Fiesta? :lol:

Second, the Ford 5.4 lacks serious power compared to the Toyota 5.7 and the GM 6.2

:plus1: Especially any 5.4L before 2010.

Edited by 06vlx

I would opt for the Tahoe.

I have a 2001 Tahoe with the 5.3 and it has 270,000 miles, last night I had to replace the water pump/thermostat for the 1st time. The truck has been wonderful and it tows anything I put behind it. It handles my Bu just fine... like it isn't even back there.

Make sure you get he tow package and trans cooler as these hellp.

I am not a fan of GM now being Obama motors but I have to give the kudos to an excellent product.

I love the truck and the towing ability.

And to add insult to injury... I've gotta call BS on those mpg numbers. Having towed with a 2005 F150 this last year, I never saw better than 12 towing, and avg freeway tows @ 65 were 10 mpg.

I have a loaded 08 Z71 Tahoe 5.3. I wanted the truck lifted a bit because of our boat launch and the want to keep the rear out of the salt water. (learned this the hard way, had a V8 VolvoXC90 prior which I toasted more stuff from the salt).

anyway really like the truck, however it is a 4 speed which is a weak point. I pull alot through the mountains and it has to work. Truck sits on the road great pulling, the boat doesnt push the truck around at all.

like the look of the Tahoe front end alot more that the Denali but the trucks are alot alike if you load up the Tahoe.

The sources i found must be old? Touché!

Any Denali want to chain up to my Tundra? :biggrin:

-Paul

I don't have a Denali but have made a Tundra driver red faced by chaining up to my Ram( gotta love that 4/10 rear axle) wasn't even a contest...alot of wheel hopping and then a tow truck for him. I know my turning radius(Q cab LWB) is not tight enough to drive up a flaming spiral ramp like the Tundra, but when betting on shear ruggedness, I'll grab my keys any day.

I don't have a Denali but have made a Tundra driver red faced by chaining up to my Ram( gotta love that 4/10 rear axle) wasn't even a contest...alot of wheel hopping and then a tow truck for him. I know my turning radius(Q cab LWB) is not tight enough to drive up a flaming spiral ramp like the Tundra, but when betting on shear ruggedness, I'll grab my keys any day.

Please tell more of this story!

Please tell more of this story!

We were at a snowmobile race and this drunk dude with a jacked up Tundra was dissin my ram in the parking lot. He said he would drag me backward without braking a sweat. I said" Yeah sure you will" He pulled out these massive tow straps from behind his seat and said "your on" We hooked up and his trucks rear wheels seemed to start bouncing , then something broke. This guy looked like he lived in a trailer and seemed very agitated. My buddy quickly got out and unhooked the strap and we quickly drove off laughing but I kept thinking this guy had a gun in his truck. This was almost two years ago but I still think he's looking for me.

have the luxury of towing with both a Tahoe and a Sequoia - Tahoe have a better time pulling the hills as it had a bigger engine - the sequoia - gutless and the weight of the boat really squatted down the rear of the vehicle - couldn't open the back door at certain angles on the Sequoia as well - lastly the toyota has a very tiny back window - backing at the ramp was a pain - we now have a suburban as it's big enough for the fam and all the gear - we don't tow with anything in the racks - no room for that stuff in the sequoia FWIW

Sorry FlatH2O going to have to disagree. Sequoia gutless..really? With the 5.7 the Sequoia is just shy of 400hp. I have the Tundra wtih a 5.7 and a few mods so I am at 440 hp and it is nothing shy of a rocket ship. I would not hesiste to take the Sequoia for a test drive and see what you think..the Denali is also a sweet ride. What about resale...Toyota could do better that the north american vehicles? Good luck

And to add insult to injury... I've gotta call BS on those mpg numbers. Having towed with a 2005 F150 this last year, I never saw better than 12 towing, and avg freeway tows @ 65 were 10 mpg.

Well, if we are going to throw shots . . . Maybe you have a lead foot (jackrabbit starts and the like) or use the brakes too much . . . :)

Seriously, The MPGs are correct. We go to the same lake every July and I track the MPG for each trip. That is what I get. The boat is a 21' LSV on a SA trailer so maybe it is a bit smaller than what others are towing.

Well, if we are going to throw shots . . . Maybe you have a lead foot (jackrabbit starts and the like) or use the brakes too much . . . :)

Seriously, The MPGs are correct. We go to the same lake every July and I track the MPG for each trip. That is what I get. The boat is a 21' LSV on a SA trailer so maybe it is a bit smaller than what others are towing.

My Tundra gets 15mpg decent day on the highway (bad day 13mpg , great day 17mpg) ...towing 10mpg avg but can be down to 9 on a really bad day. Even with 440 hp it does tow pretty dam good I must admit, far better than my old chev 5.7...but I still know the boat is back there!

As I indicated in the first post, before the Expedition I had a 6 cylinder Ford SprotTrac. Every deviation in the road made me wonder who was driving (the boat and trailer or me) The SportTrac also had a bit of a strain on hills but could keep up to speed.

By comparison with my previous vehicle the Expedition is a dream - tons of power (in comparison) and the boat does not "throw" the tow vehicle around. I have never had the pleasure of towing with an even better tow vehicle so I can't say how big the difference would be.

I did not mean to offend anyone whose tow vehicle is yet way more capable - only to offer up what my experiences have been.

For the limited towing we do in NY, MA, and NH hills, the Expedition tows great. I would buy one again.