Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Tow Vehicle TIme - Sequoia or Tahoe or Denali?

jeremyk

Sequoia or Tahoe or Denali?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What tow vehicle would you get?

• 2011 Toyota Sequoia
    • 2011 GMC Denali
    • 2011 Chevy Tahoe

towing in the west, where you could have long freeway slogs over mountain passes... I'd scratch the tahoe and go with the denali or the sequoia (with 5.7L). A 2x4 tahoe will tow just fine where it's flat. But when the road tips skyward for 20 miles the added power will be welcome.

Why isn't the escalade on the list? Or the new infiniti QX56?

Escalade and Infiniti IMHO are overpriced for what you get.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeremyk

• jetskipro550

• srock

• Huelsmma

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Isn't the Denali just an extra package? My parents bought and Envoy and got the Denali package so technically its called a Denali?

I'd go with the Tahoe, you can get the Denali package with that! :rockon: But I am a GM guy so I'm a little biased

On Some in the GMC line of GM cars, the Denali is akin to a Limited Edition or higher trim level. But in the Yukon line, The actually separated it out (don't ask me why). So it used to be the Yukon Denali (like the Envoy Denali) but now it is just the Yukon AND Denali as two vehicles.

Gm guy too...Yukon Denali is great, nicer in all ways than tahoe. But why not a new LR4?? Lol

Wife did not like the LR4 or Range Rover. Plus they pulled all the voice command stuff out of their nav system this year which is deal breaker for her.

In addition to having a long relationship with our local Chevy dealer I just like the look of the Tahoe better over the Denali... personal preference -- They are the same truck

Except for the engine and drive train. The Tahoe has a selectable 2WD or 4WD mode like the Yukon but only has the 5.3L 6 speed. The Denali has a different (I believe) 6 speed tranny but with a 6.2L. Both have Variable valve.

I have an 05 Avalanche with the 5.3 & 4.10s..... same chassis as a Suburban. It did a good job pulling the Vride, both fully loaded, to Hells Canyon this summer.... and got almost 11 mpg doing it.

The bigger engines definitely have more power. If you settle on the 5.3, then be sure to get the gears so it'll tow better.

When I ordered my new work truck 2011, 1/2 ton sierra 5.3L and 6 speed they would not allow Me to get the 4:10 like they did with the old 4 speed & 5.3. When I ordered the 2007 3/4ton 6.0L 6 speed they did let me get the gears so :dontknow:

A Tahoe with the 6.2L 400hp 6 speed throw some JBL headers and some wheels on that sucker and it would be the cats @ss if available.

I like the look of the Tahoe over the Denali.

Edited by bigD

I've never driven a Sequoia, but they are nice to look at. I have an 07 Denali with the 6 speed and the 6.2 and it tows the VLX effortlessly and comfortably. Ive also towed with an 02 Tahoe with the 5.3 and it tows fine, but has to work a little too hard for my liking. Denali is the way to go.

Edited by Javabean

What does that even mean?

The cats always cleaning his own, so it means it's clean or pretty slick. Dang kids.

Edited by bigD

We have 09' suburban 5.3 liter engine handles our gear and family very well.

:plus1:

No direct input on any of your posted vehicles (haven't towed with any of them) sorry :(

Edited by wakeboarder3780

Ill sum it up in one word DENALI. Bang for your buck you can not do better. The sequia is way over priced and under powered. The tahoe is a great rig and will get the job done but you will miss some of the comforts.

Edited by liljohn

Bought a Surburban almost 7 years ago and have never looked back, best vehicle I have ever had. :yahoo: The Danli will have more optios as standard than the Tahoe.

The Denali is by far the best tow rig out of that bunch. None of them can touch the 6.2L with the 6 speed tranny, not even the toyota. The gearing in the 6 speed tranny makes up the difference in rear end gearing the toyota has.

I'm not sure they offer the 6.2L in the Tahoe yet or not, if they did that would be the second choice or first depending on how much you wanted to spend.

The Denali is by far the best tow rig out of that bunch. None of them can touch the 6.2L with the 6 speed tranny, not even the toyota. The gearing in the 6 speed tranny makes up the difference in rear end gearing the toyota has.

I'm not sure they offer the 6.2L in the Tahoe yet or not, if they did that would be the second choice or first depending on how much you wanted to spend.

Ah, hem... the Toyota is rated higher Tow capacity & also has a bad-a$$ 6 speed transmission :whistle:

Toyota

5.7-liter V8 Maximum towing capacity of 10,000 lbs (4,536 kg) with the 5.7-liter V8 in 2WD SR5

5.7-liter V8 9,600 lbs in the 4WD SR5 trim

5.7-liter 4WD Platinum, which can tow 8,800 lbs (3,991 kg) ** Figured your doing a platinum JeremyK?

4.6-liter 4WD SR5, which tows 7,000 lbs (3,175 kg)

Source

Yukon Denali

2wd 8,300 lbs

4wd 7,600 lbs ** Figured your doing 4wd JeremyK?

Source

I'm honestly prejudice to American cars, so i will argue Toyota to death, or at least until my gas pedal sticks... lol

My Dad was always a stickler about owning American and i watched him own multiple American cars and there was always something wrong from the factory roof rack ripping out on the freeway when the skis were on the rack, and dumping the transmission (ford) 2 transmissions (dodge) constant electrical issues because they used a cheap waterproof connector in the undercarriage (3 Chevy's) I finally converted him and he now owns a 4runner (for 2 years) and hasn't had a glitch. Call it bad luck, call it whatever, but in my opinion American car manufactures just don't have it for me personally.

-Paul

If chevy still offered the 6.2 I would jump on it but they stopped in 2009 because there wasn't enough differentiation between that package and the Denali.

Ah, hem... the Toyota is rated higher Tow capacity & also has a bad-a$$ 6 speed transmission :whistle:

Toyota

5.7-liter V8 Maximum towing capacity of 10,000 lbs (4,536 kg) with the 5.7-liter V8 in 2WD SR5

5.7-liter V8 9,600 lbs in the 4WD SR5 trim

5.7-liter 4WD Platinum, which can tow 8,800 lbs (3,991 kg) ** Figured your doing a platinum JeremyK?

4.6-liter 4WD SR5, which tows 7,000 lbs (3,175 kg)

Source

Yukon Denali

2wd 8,300 lbs

4wd 7,600 lbs ** Figured your doing 4wd JeremyK?

Source

I'm honestly prejudice to American cars, so i will argue Toyota to death, or at least until my gas pedal sticks... lol

My Dad was always a stickler about owning American and i watched him own multiple American cars and there was always something wrong from the factory roof rack ripping out on the freeway when the skis were on the rack, and dumping the transmission (ford) 2 transmissions (dodge) constant electrical issues because they used a cheap waterproof connector in the undercarriage (3 Chevy's) I finally converted him and he now owns a 4runner (for 2 years) and hasn't had a glitch. Call it bad luck, call it whatever, but in my opinion American car manufactures just don't have it for me personally.

-Paul

:) but if you look at the MSRP of the Sequoia Platinum and the Denali, the Sequoia is $60k+ and the Denali is $55k. Plus, the Denali has the load leveling suspension, where as the Sequoia does not (it says it has adaptive variable suspension, but i dont think that is the same thing).

I have not towed a boat with the new sequoia, but i have pulled our VLX over the pass many times with our '07 Denali, and it does not even know that the boat is back there (this is in comparison to our '10 Ram with the 5.7l Hemi/5spd).

The Sequoia does have some nice interior features though: ability to control the rear temp from the drivers seat, real space behind the 3rd row (our swb Denali has NO room behind the 3rd row), built in window shades for the rear seats, iPod compatibility (we had to buy an aftermarket kit to be able to control the iPod through the Nav).

Since you are local, you are more than welcome to hook up the LSV to our Denali and take it up to the pass and back......though i cannot guarantee that you will get the LSV back! :)

BTW - if you go to Toyota's website and look at the towing capacity of the 4wd Sequoia, it is actually rated at 7k - 7,300 for the 5.7. the Denali is 8,100 for the AWD SWB and 7,900 for the AWD LWB

Source: http://www.toyota.co...o.pdf?zip=98029 Page 15 or http://www.toyota.co...uoia/specs.html

http://www.gmc.com/y...apabilities.jsp

Edited by NewMalibu

Since you are local, you are more than welcome to hook up the LSV to our Denali and take it up to the pass and back......though i cannot guarantee that you will get the LSV back! :)

I appreciate the offer. I actually drive an 02 Denali now. It's the wifes business car though so it's time for an upgrade. And I do love it. Just wondering if I would be happy saving a few bucks by going Tahoe this time.

We have a 04 F150 supercrew and an 08 Tahoe. The F150 has the 5.4 and the Tahoe the 5.3. Pulling the 23 vRide I will take the Ford every day of the week. It just feels better. I think it may be the longer wheelbase and gearing though.

Plus, the Denali has the load leveling suspension, where as the Sequoia does not (it says it has adaptive variable suspension, but i dont think that is the same thing).

I've towed with a lot of vehicles and I can tell you I'll never purchase another tow vehicle that doesn't have an air suspension. I haven't towed with any vehicles being mentioned so I don't have an apples to apples comparison, but it's definitely something to seriously consider. From my experiences the ride quality while towing with a vehicle that has an air suspension is far superior to any vehicle I've towed with that didn't have one.

My vote would be for the Sequia. Never towed with one, but you can get it equipped just like the Tundra and the Tundra tows great. There is no comparison between it and any GM 5.3 equipped vehicle. The Denali with the 6.2 is better compared to the Sequia, the Tahoe with the 5.3 isn't in the same ball park. Either the Denali or Sequia would be great tow rigs.

We tow our 23LSV WS with a Yukon Denali XL 6.2L 6 speed. It tows with ease throught the mountains and is a nice ride around town as well. The Autoride load leveling suspension is a real plus. I had the 5.3 Suburban previously and the difference for towing is night and day. I would buy this set up again in a heartbeat.