Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 Axis A22 - Chattwake.com boat

Chattwake

We usually ride in Paradise Cove by Chester Frost on Chickamauga or by the Sequoya Power Plant. Now that I'll have a boat with a paddle wheel speed control, I'll probably ride on the river more. With the GPS speed control on my 230's, I hated riding on the river because the current threw everything off.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chattwake

• Malibuzer

• Ndawg12

• shawndoggy

We usually ride in Paradise Cove by Chester Frost on Chickamauga or by the Sequoya Power Plant. Now that I'll have a boat with a paddle wheel speed control, I'll probably ride on the river more. With the GPS speed control on my 230's, I hated riding on the river because the current threw everything off.

Can you explain this one to me? I would think it should be the opposite. The gps should eliminate any offset caused by the current.

If the current is moving 2 mph, and you're traveling up river at 23 mph (per the gps), then your water speed is 25 mph.

Edited by Chattwake

So what does the 2 mph current change for you? Approaching the wake, edging, landing? Not being a smart a$$, just trying to understand.

We wakeboarded, skied and surfed this summer on a river that was probably around the 3-4 mph range and I didn't really notice a difference going up or down. Probably because I am not very good!! :biggrin:

It makes a tremendous difference. 2 mph can feel much faster, throws off your timing, landings, etc. - especially when throwing inverts. I've already blown out one knee and I don't want to do that again. +/- 2mph also makes the wake wider/narrower, makes the wake cleaner/washier. You'd be surprised.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Maybe when I can land an invert consistently I would know the difference! I always thought it was my LOFT.

Lack of F^%*n Talent!!

I always wondered what to call it, I have a loft problem too!! And a busted up ankle (3 months later!!)

Hey Chattwake......when we ride in the Chatt area we usually stay below the Chickamauga dam cause the lake is so rough. Occasionally we run up at Wolfteever or all the way over at Caters Lake.

Recognize either of these guys?

5169452508_81df18166a.jpg">

The new boat's spraying on December 15! Gonna have it in early January - let the wetsounds installation begin! I'm going with 1 syn 4 to push 6 interior xs650's, 1 syn 4 to push a pair of 485's on the tower, 1 syn 1 to push a XXX sub in the ob compartment, and a ws420 to control it all. Top that off with 2 AGM's from www.4xspower.com (d3100's), and I'll be set to make some ears bleed!

Can't wait!

• 3 months later...

axis_f3.jpg

axis_f2.jpg

axis_f1.jpg

axis_f5.jpg

axis_f4.jpg

I got the boat in on Friday and worked on it all weekend. First thing I did was swap the steering wheel. Next, I made LED speaker rings (which turned out ok, but not perfect. It was a messy job. Thank goodness my father-in-law has a full woodshop with all sorts of commercial machinery in it.

I then used a VLX amp board and mounted my amps and the distribution blocks. I used 0 gauge wire to feed the blocks this year and 4 gauge to all of the amps. I squeezed the amp board into the ob compartment and then ran my power wires. Next, I removed the factory battery holders/mounts. I placed two D3100 batteries from www.4xspower.com in the ob compartment against the back wall and wired them to the battery selector switch. I used the factory tie down straps to secure the batteries in place. Next, I ran the RCA wires and power/ground/remote to the footwell under the dash. I mounted the ws420 eq under the dash and hooked it up and hid the wiring. Next, I mounted the amp board to the wall.

I then dissembled my Wetsounds XXX sub box and had to reconstruct it inside the ob compartment. The box wouldn't fit through the hole in one piece. I proceeded with wiring the LED speaker rings and installing them behind the cabin speakers. The rear speakers are recessed so much that you can't really see the lights at night, so I'm going to move those rings up front and simply attach LED strips to the outside of the speaker grill on the rear speakers. Oh, I used all wetsounds xs650 interior speakers in the boat. They fit fine, you just have to cut all of the terminals off and crimp on larger female leads.

Next, I mounted the wetsounds Pro 485's on the tower. They fit perfect. No problems whatsoever. No fitment issues, etc. Still plenty of headroom. Next, I mounted the z5. It was super easy. I just put the center ring mounts on the front tower leg and left them sortof loose. I then put the z5 in the slots on the mounts and pinned them in for security. It was obvious that the planned mounting points for the rear z5 struts would not work with the 485's, so I had to relocate the rear mounting struts. I ended up placing the rear mounting rings on the top part of the front leg of the tower right up against the gusset piece. I used a shorter strut that z5 sent me. If you are going to go this route on your A22, you will need to request the shorter struts from Z5 and an extra set of curve bottom mounting sockets (you could just remove and relocate the sockets that come on the rack, but I left them in place in case the next owner doesn't want 485's and wants to put the struts in the factory locations.

The rack is sturdy as can be and fits perfect with the 485's. I honestly think I have more headroom under this z5 than I did under the one mounted on my 230. I couldn't be happier!

It sounds amazing. I think that the larger diameter power and ground wires, plus the fact that the batteries are so much closer to the amps, makes everything sound cleaner, with less interference, etc. The other thing that's great about this boat and this system is that the power (other than the a/c) comes directly from the battery distribution switch, and does not run through another fuse panel like it did on my 230. If I ever had the xxx pumping and the tower speakers and the cabin speakers going in my 230, it would pop a fuse and I'd have to reset everything. I hated that, and there was no easy way around it, unless I ran tons of wiring all through the 230. Not so with the A22.

I must say that the install was not easy. I'm still not done, because I have to put all clear lenses on the trailer, install the plug in play bags, and swap out the led speaker rings to the front. However, I'm much close to finished than I was on Friday.

I don't have any interior pictures yet, because the boat has not yet been cleaned up from the install. I do have some pics with the cover on so you can see how the z5/485's look. I'll finish up this weekend or one night this week and have some more photos for ya.

I'm super stoked about the boat. I can't wait to get it out and ride behind it.

The box wouldn't fit. I pulled the drivers seat and the footwell, and tried to get the box in there, but no go. The steering cable and heater hoses were in the way. I don't usually blast the sub unless we are sitting and chilling anyway, so I can just open the door to the ob compartment then. Plus, the carpet snaps into the footwell and wouldn't work if j removed it.

That brown steering wheel will not grow on me.

Everything else looks awesome! What a great job. Wish I could hear that stereo.

no doubt that thing look like it came from a 70's cadi,throw some horns on the front of that thing boss hog. :biggrin:

Other than that looks sick :thumbup:

:stirringthepot: :biggrin: I'm lazy and don't feel like reading back through, but what was concensus on the Axis line's interior. I spoke with a rep at the NC boat show and he gave me the straight up truth :whistle:

:stirringthepot: :biggrin: I'm lazy and don't feel like reading back through, but what was concensus on the Axis line's interior. I spoke with a rep at the NC boat show and he gave me the straight up truth :whistle:

I was at my dealer today and they said the axis was the number one boat they had interest in at the boat show.......they also said the quality is overall is "malibu" but he upholstery is of the same quality as my vride...which I took to mean sub malibu...:-) kidding....thinner

it is a nice looking boat, but not for me it is a little to edgy.....