Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Knock sensor

I removed the nock sensor on my 2005 HH 383 and it appears the threads are possibly getting shorter each year. It almost appears the threads are made of a sacrificial anode material. Should a nock sensor be replaced after a few years or am I just imagining that there are fewer threads than there used to be?

I removed the nock sensor on my 2005 HH 383 and it appears the threads are possibly getting shorter each year. It almost appears the threads are made of a sacrificial anode material. Should a nock sensor be replaced after a few years or am I just imagining that there are fewer threads than there used to be?

the knock sensor should not be removed

the knock sensor should not be removed

my 2007 HH owners manual says to remove them to drain water. The threads are very short, probly your imagination.

:plus1: one on each side of my 06 monsoon, the knock sensors are the bottom block drains.

Thats interesting. I only have 1 knock sensor on the port side. The other side is where the shower is plumbed. I don't know if they come with 2 & one is removed to install the shower or what?

Thats interesting. I only have 1 knock sensor on the port side. The other side is where the shower is plumbed. I don't know if they come with 2 & one is removed to install the shower or what?

I have two knock sensors, hot water side of shower plumbed in cylinder head.,

Bill

I have a knock sensor on each side of mine. 2006 with Monsoon...maybe 05 only has one?

You should only have 1, they went to 2 in 06, think it may have been because the next gen of MEFI, but I'm not sure.

-Chris

in 2006 they switched to two knock sensors in the monsoons and HH 2005- older will have only one the 2005 and older knock sensors will corode away after time as long as it will still thread into the hole and get tight it will still work and the knock sensors on all monsoon and HH have to be removed to drain engine of water for winterizing

hehehe....

You're all correct - except for not removing a knock sensor. The LCR does not use knock sensors. The Monsoon and HH over the model year variations have had one, and then increased to two. Those with showers will have a Y fitting to allow both knock sensor and hot water to be plumbed off.

To drain the block you need to remove the knock sensor(s).

I've not seen a knock sensor with an anode on the end, but I also do not get any salt-water series either. My gut reaction would be that all the Indmar knock sensors are the same.

Peter

hehehe....

You're all correct - except for not removing a knock sensor. The LCR does not use knock sensors. The Monsoon and HH over the model year variations have had one, and then increased to two. Those with showers will have a Y fitting to allow both knock sensor and hot water to be plumbed off.

To drain the block you need to remove the knock sensor(s).

I've not seen a knock sensor with an anode on the end, but I also do not get any salt-water series either. My gut reaction would be that all the Indmar knock sensors are the same.

Peter

Wonder why this is OK but to put a "Y" or a "T" to instal a drain is frowned upon?

It's hard to stab the block to ensure water drain with a fitting in place. When winterizing one should remove the fitting used for the shower and sensor, not just the sensor.

pb

It's hard to stab the block to ensure water drain with a fitting in place. When winterizing one should remove the fitting used for the shower and sensor, not just the sensor.

pb

Peter, thought they were pulling hot water for the heater off the head right under the exhaust manifold (with the 2 knock sensors), when did that change?

I'm guessing I had the same problem you're describing. I replaced the knock sensors on my 2006 Monsoon this spring because the ends of the knock sensor inside of the engine seemed to have rusted away.

post-134-055163200 1289331347_thumb.jpg

post-134-009803800 1289331355_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing I had the same problem you're describing. I replaced the knock sensors on my 2006 Monsoon this spring because the ends of the knock sensor inside of the engine seemed to have rusted away.

Yes that is exactly what I was describing and my threads look very similar to yours. I just wasn't sure, and guess I am still not, if this is by design? I know that my outboard motor had a metal plate whose purpose was to protect the engine from corrosion. Over time these plates wear down and have to be replaced. It would make sense that the Knock Sensor could fulfill this role but just not sure that is their intent.

It is probably not a design feature, to have teh sensors act as sacrificial anodes. If they were sacrificial, you'd have a lot of leaking engines that have never had the sensors removed for winterizing (like mine)

It is probably not a design feature, to have teh sensors act as sacrificial anodes. If they were sacrificial, you'd have a lot of leaking engines that have never had the sensors removed for winterizing (like mine)

the plugs on the raw water intake to the vdrive on my 06 do have anodes, so it really isn't that silly of a question (are there a lot of leaking vdrives out there?).

the plugs on the raw water intake to the vdrive on my 06 do have anodes, so it really isn't that silly of a question (are there a lot of leaking vdrives out there?).

Its silly to make a sensor that is vital to engine operation a sacrificial part, so it shouldn't do that in theory.

I've never seen a sensor get eaten away like that, but high mineral content can do funny things.

-Chris