Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 Wksetter or 2008 Wksetter ???

vhawk

Please help me decide which boat I should buy. I have low hr (140hrs) 07 wakesetter I can by for $45K or a slightly more used 08, (247 hrs) for $52k. Both boats are 23 ft. The 08 comes with a ton of gear. I went to the Malibu dealer and got an earful on the two models. Pros on the 08 were smooth ride due to new hull, cons were the XS tower was not as good as the X tower, also the 08 was the first yr to have all of electronics work together, ie wedge and ballast I guess, and it has some bugs. The 07 has the older hull, so rougher ride and I guess the electronics are not as advanced.

I can't decide what to do, any imput would be great.

Please help me decide which boat I should buy. I have low hr (140hrs) 07 wakesetter I can by for $45K or a slightly more used 08, (247 hrs) for $52k. Both boats are 23 ft. The 08 comes with a ton of gear. I went to the Malibu dealer and got an earful on the two models. Pros on the 08 were smooth ride due to new hull, cons were the XS tower was not as good as the X tower, also the 08 was the first yr to have all of electronics work together, ie wedge and ballast I guess, and it has some bugs. The 07 has the older hull, so rougher ride and I guess the electronics are not as advanced.

They both sound like nice boats. which one do you like better?

I like them both, but Iam uncertain about the differences between the two. Is the hull difference that big a deal, and is the XS tower really that much different tha the X. I like the price on the 07 better for sure.

Thier both nice boats. The 08 i feel is diffently the better boat all the bugs in the electronics have been worked out now the xs is a fine tower and the other benifit of the 08 is the warranty is tranferable and you'll have some warranty left depanding when the boat was sold i,d buy the 08

The new hull is better than the old hull. There is no difference quality wise in the XS and X towers they both have the same weaknesses. Due you like the dash int the 08' over the 07?

Which motors are in the boats?

the 08 has the 383, 400 hspwr. The 07 has the standard 340 monsone I think, he is emailing me the spec tomorrow. I liked the dash in the 08. I see the 07 on Tuesday, I assume it does the same things the 08 does, is that a bad assumption?

the 08 has the 383, 400 hspwr. The 07 has the standard 340 monsone I think, he is emailing me the spec tomorrow. I liked the dash in the 08. I see the 07 on Tuesday, I assume it does the same things the 08 does, is that a bad assumption?

The HH 383 is a $5K upgrade over the monsoon 340 so really they are pretty equal in price. I have the 383 in my boat and wouldn't want anything smaller for what i use it for.

The 08 will have all digital controls and switches, the 07 will have all rocker switches.

Edited by 06vlx

You have to ask is the boat and gear worth $7k. I’m always afraid of first year production. As for the gear that come with the 08, is it stuff you would use or would it collect dust in the garage?

The gear is several wake boards, which we own 3 now, plus 5 fat sacks and pumps ( do I need that many) and assorted life vest. We own about 20 life vest now. The thing I like about the 08 is the swivel baord racks. My slip is narrow and this wwould allow me to get in it without taking them off. Can swivel racks be bought for the 07 and for how much?

By the way, you guys are great for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

The gear is several wake boards, which we own 3 now, plus 5 fat sacks and pumps ( do I need that many) and assorted life vest. We own about 20 life vest now. The thing I like about the 08 is the swivel baord racks. My slip is narrow and this wwould allow me to get in it without taking them off. Can swivel racks be bought for the 07 and for how much?

By the way, you guys are great for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Having lots of sacs is nice. I wouldn't be all that excited for a bunch of gear being thrown in, not big selling point IMO. Swivel racks are anywhere between $400-700 each depending on brand.

OK, so let’s take the gear out of the equation.

After reading through the posts here’s the pro’s and con’s…..

08 Pro’s:

Newer style hull

Better electronics

You like the dash

Bigger engine

Swivel racks

08 Con’s:

XS Tower

Electronics has some bugs (you didn’t specify)

$7k more

07 Pro’s:

$7k less

Lower hours (the 08 hours really aren’t high though)

07 Con’s:

Rougher ride due to hull design. (Will it be that noticeable???)

So, the same question…is it worth $7k?

You may want the extra ballast down the road, but used they're worth $300 or so. I've never had any issues with the XS tower and we work it pretty hard! The hammerhead is nice if you want to run that extra ballast, but the Monsoon is a workhorse and should be sufficient. Do you know what props are on each boat?

Having lots of sacs is nice. I wouldn't be all that excited for a bunch of gear being thrown in, not big selling point IMO. Swivel racks are anywhere between $400-700 each depending on brand.

Thanks fpr your input. Is 247 hrs on an 08 too many? I hear there is a big servicing required at 300.

Thanks fpr your input. Is 247 hrs on an 08 too many? I hear there is a big servicing required at 300.

At the top of each page there is a "resourses/diy" tab, click it, click specifications...now you can read the brochures from each year and also read the indmar manual for service requirements.

these maintenance requirements are from the indmar manual, as you can see the 300h service is annually/300h.

100 hours per season is average for a wakeboard boat in my opinion

The HH 383 is a $5K upgrade over the monsoon 340 so really they are pretty equal in price. I have the 383 in my boat and wouldn't want anything smaller for what i use it for.

The 08 will have all digital controls and switches, the 07 will have all rocker switches.

My local Bu dealer told one of the motors used oil. I thought he said it was the 383, but I am not sure. Do you have to add oil to your boat mid season?

Also, are the functions of the digital switched and the rockers switches the same, or does the 08 do more than the 07. Sorry to be such a pest but I am trying to decide this week on wich boat to buy. The $7k price difference is giving me heart burn.

They are both nice boats, for 7k difference i would go with the '08 with the HH. If the extra 7k is a problem for you then go with the '07.

It really is win win.

Have your gone through the brochures?

Edited by Cervelo

Just for some perspective I have an 06 LSV and I was amazed at how SMOOTH the hull was. If the 08 was any smoother I don't think I'd even care. This is coming from and comparing to a 1989 malibu sunsetter hull. I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet which surprises me but hammerheads were also known for having some trouble. Not all of them - but some of them. You'll want to make sure you have the new (it was either oil or transmission fluid) dipstick. Basically you just run them with a little more fluid in them and you're supposed to be fine.

I purposely stayed away from the HH because of the known issues with them. I haven't driven the new boat enough to say whether or not I'd want more hp. My guess is that I wouldn't, that monsoon pulled pretty good the way it was.

Good luck with your decision, you can't really go wrong, they're both great boats. Enjoy and post pics when you get it!