Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting Close to pulling the trigger on a new VTX

nemalibu

I can't believe I am really thinking about buying a new (not used) boat.

I am getting close to going ahead and ordering a 2011 VTX.

Looking for some comments on the VTX wakeboard wake. I will be moving from a 2003 SS 21 LSV with the wedge and 930 lbs of ballast (280's in the v-drive lockers and a 370 in the ski locker). Will the VTX wakeboard wake be as good or better? How will it be different?

I have heard some issues with the Precision Pro speed control surging in speed mode if the boat is not loaded down. Any comments on that?

I am wondering if anyone has put the $300 GPS speedo system on their VTX and skied with it.

Looks like there are quite a few allen bolts around the tower. Do these stay tight or do they need regular attention?

Has anyone had issues with the water-cooled prop shaft seal?

Has anyone had a ballast pump clog (particularlly the driain pumps which may be difficult to get at)?

I can give you an answer on a couple of items.

The cruise works much better in RPM mode for skiing and footing, but works fine in speed control for other sports.

I have never had any issues with the water cooled shaft seal.

Also no issues at all with the ballast pumps.

Good luck, the VTX is a beauty!! :thumbup:

The wake would definitely be smaller I would think, but I love my 08 VTX.

wakeboard wake would be smaller? I disagree, even on a diamond hull. Ski wake on the VTX is smaller than the LSV, AND the boarding and surf wake are bigger/cleaner/nicer than the LSV. The later two sports werent a consideration when I was buying the VTX, I didnt even test wakeboard or surf it. But after owning one for part of a season, the improvement in all the wakes has become more noticeable. Get a dry suit and get behind one!!

It was good talking to you the other day eric!

wakeboard wake would be smaller? I disagree, even on a diamond hull. Ski wake on the VTX is smaller than the LSV, AND the boarding and surf wake are bigger/cleaner/nicer than the LSV. The later two sports werent a consideration when I was buying the VTX, I didnt even test wakeboard or surf it. But after owning one for part of a season, the improvement in all the wakes has become more noticeable. Get a dry suit and get behind one!!

I know you love your VTX. Who wouldn't love your boat. That is possibly the most beautiful boat I have ever layed eyes on.

Hoping to see if any other VTX owners have comments.

Did you run your LSV with ballast for wakeboarding?

Check out the VTX wakes shown in the "Post your Sacked out wakes!" topic.

These are with added ballast but WOW they are sick.

Has anyone tried the Wakemakers piggyback system? The description sounds simple to install.

We moved from a somewhat similiar boat... we had an 04 Wakesetter 21 Direct Drive. I think it was essentially the same boat as yours but a 21 foot wake hull with a direct drive as opposed to I'm assuming a 21 foot diamond hull with a v drive on your Sunscape. Anyway, on our 04 Wakesetter we would fill the front bag, drop the wedge and load a couple fat sacs on each side of the motor box. That being said, our VTX on the diamond hull with all the factory tanks and power wedge is a noticably better wakeboard IMO. With a couple people, full tanks, and the power wedge bumped up to max wake and its a nice wakeboard wake. Its not gonna be the same as a 21 or 23 foot, but we have never had anyone behind our boat complain about the wake. Compared to our 21 Wakesetter wake it is a cleaner, more consistent wake with a better pop. Much easier to ride behind than the 21 Wakesetter was IMO. With 5-6 people in the boat and full ballast and wedge, the boat is really good for boarding and surfing, sure it could be a little better with more weight, but we have never hassled with it.

We have never had any surging problems with the Malibu speed system. I sometimes ski on RPM mode instead of speed with a light boat, but honestly we normally just ski on MPH too and its fine. We are somewhat recreational skiiers, 30-32mph, mainly open water that occasionally hit the course.

We have a Titan Tower we have tightened once in 2 season and 200+ hours, no biggie.

No problems with the water cooled shaft.

No problems with bags filling or dumping. First couple times out in a year, we may put it in gear forward to prime the front bags but then they fill right up.

Its been a great boat for us. We ski, board and surf and we pull on a trailer and its crazy easy to load, unload and pull and park. We love it.

Don't listen to this guy, he knows absolutely nothing about both boats in question....:whistle:;)

j/k :lol:

VTX will board better, but you didn't mention if you were going to order the wake or diamond hull.

There was a member here who lost his water cooled shaft seal on a houseboat trip and it make the bu unusable for the week.

Ballast pumps rarely clog and should not really be a concern in your purchase decision.

-Chris

No complaints here either. I have a VTX with the diamond hull..very happy with the boat. I run full ballast (minus the non surf side of course) wedge at 0% (all the way down or max 2 clicks up) plus a 750 in the rear locker, 400 on the surf side seat and another 400 in the bow. The wake is fantastic, not quite as good as a VLX wake hull with the similar set up but not that far off. I was also behind a LSV wake hull with stock only ballast and was not impressed. All boats need more ballast to get a good surf wake. I would say both the VLX and LSV wakeboard wakes are noticably larger than the VTX diamond hull but the VTX is amazing for skiing. I would say far better than my 89 Sunsetter!!

The only issues I have had are a few gel coat cracks (under warranty) however I have had a hell of a time with my power wedge (I think all issues are finally resolved). Dont let that deter you, the power wedge is a must for the VTX.

Next boat I purchase I may try a VLX diamond hull but you cant go wrong with the VTX.

We love our VTX. The wake is clean and looks like a fricken wall when your headin into it. We have the Diamond hull. We have had zero problems with the shaft seals or impellar. Our only issue is we under estimated the number of people that want to go with us, it is for that reason only we will eventually get a 247. Also to consider is the ease of pulling, Parking, Launching, storing, etc of a 20" boat. Pull the trigger you won't regret it. :thumbup:

Edited by Malibuswany

We love our VTX. The wake is clean and looks like a fricken wall when your headin into it. We have the Diamond hull. We have had zero problems with the shaft seals or impellar. Our only issue is we under estimated the number of people that want to go with us, it is for that reason only we will eventually get a 247. Also to consider is the ease of pulling, Parking, Launching, storing, etc of a 20" boat. Pull the trigger you won't regret it. :thumbup:

Yes, you don't even need a trailer for a 20 incher! :Tease3: Just throw in the back.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31utLmU%2BlIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by MalibuTime

I know you love your VTX. Who wouldn't love your boat. That is possibly the most beautiful boat I have ever layed eyes on.

Hoping to see if any other VTX owners have comments.

Did you run your LSV with ballast for wakeboarding?

hahaha thanks for the complement!

i'll shutup and let others answer for you.

Boarding behind the LSV we typically had roughly 2500 pounds of ballast - either people or bags. On the LSV we typically did not use the wedge for wakeboarding - I liked the wake much better with just ballast. Of course we used it for surfing.

On the VTX we run with a little less weight and use the power wedge - it works great.