Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gel - Should I be worried?

Dear TheMalibuCrew -

While cleaning under the boat yesterday I discovered to areas of damage to the Gel. One area is just in front of the prop shaft opening between the 4 screws. Looks like a stress crack (spider). The second is a slight crack indentation adjacent to the one of the ballast intakes. Not that it really matters, but I believe both are structural failures/stress, and neither were the result of impact.

My assumption is that both should be repaired and not ignored....thoughts?

Any ideas as to what a fair price would be for the repairs?

I assume that this being a 2004 Malibu is off the hook for the Warranty?

Thanks again for all of the input!

Tim

post-14351-001147700 1289067812_thumb.jp

post-14351-077652100 1289067822_thumb.jp

I would talk to your dealer. Malibu does have lifetime hull warranty but that does not include gell coat. Have them take a look and see what they say. The worst that can happen is you here the words no.

You won't be eligible for the life time hull warranty unless you:

A: Bought the boat within 5 yrs. of production.

B: Paid Malibu (I think) $500. to do the transfer.

The one by the shaft I wouldn't worry about and frankly I can't tell where the crack is on the second picture.

Usually spider cracks in gel are not a structural issue, just a cosmetic one. If those cracks were radiating from the strut, rudder, tracking fins, etc after a bottom hit, different story, but those just looks like cosmetic issues to me.

-Chris