Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How long till Spring???

Wakesetter67

Absolutely get out there. We were out 2 days ago and the water was at 60F and air at 70+F. I know it was unusual and unusually sunny, but there will still be days to get in some riding and fun on the water.

Absolutely get out there. We were out 2 days ago and the water was at 60F and air at 70+F. I know it was unusual and unusually sunny, but there will still be days to get in some riding and fun on the water.

Im sure by the time all the mods are finnished it will be pouring.....:(

Im sure by the time all the mods are finnished it will be pouring.....:(

Sounds like a timing problem. :crazy:

I've pulled the boat. And currently have it drained, covered in the driveway, heater & charger plugged in. But I haven't pulled the trigger on any projects yet..... only because I know the days are numbered that we'll be able to get out there.

I got out yesterday, 60 degree air & water in the low 50s. But glassss. The projects can wait a few more weeks.

Sounds like a timing problem. :crazy:

I've pulled the boat. And currently have it drained, covered in the driveway, heater & charger plugged in. But I haven't pulled the trigger on any projects yet..... only because I know the days are numbered that we'll be able to get out there.

I got out yesterday, 60 degree air & water in the low 50s. But glassss. The projects can wait a few more weeks.

What heater do you use? I'm in the works of making one now. Should be a fun project and help allow me to get the boat our a bit earlier next year. Thumbup.gif

The bilge heater I have the 250 watt Boatsafe heater. It's kinda big but I picked it up for like $100 instead of the $300 the smaller Xtreme goes for. It's the big white thing on the top right of this shot. It's bolted to the side wall & has a 10' cord on it. Stays in there year round & doesn't touch anything.

Works great. Comes on anytime the temps are under 40. I also put a small thermometer in there that records the highest high & lowest low. With temps in the single digits outside, and the boat in a steel pole building, it's never seen under about 35. So parked outside this time of year, with temps barely getting under 30 at night, it doesn't have any problem keeping up. And everything has been drained anyway. So it's really just piece of mind. :rockon:

heater.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Cool. Thanks man. Mine will be a 200 Watt unit. It will be made up of two 100 Watt silicone heater pads on a 1 inch thick aluminum baseplate. I'm going to mount a couple heatsinks on the baseplate with some thermal compound and a 120VAC fan to push air over them when the heat pads come on. Each pas has a separate thermostatically controlled outlet cube. On at 35 degrees and off at 50. Two pads and two thermostats will provide redundancy. Hopefully it works as well as I think it will.

Nice. I didn't realize you were making one. Sounds like you have it down. Look forward to seeing pics of the install.

I gotta say, once you have the draining routine down, the bilge heater & on board charger..... man, the whole process is easy. I don't know why dealers don't set their customers up like this all the time. I will probably "winterize" this boat at least dozen times over the course of the fall, winter & spring.

Nice. I didn't realize you were making one. Sounds like you have it down. Look forward to seeing pics of the install.

I gotta say, once you have the draining routine down, the bilge heater & on board charger..... man, the whole process is easy. I don't know why dealers don't set their customers up like this all the time. I will probably "winterize" this boat at least dozen times over the course of the fall, winter & spring.

Yeah, I decided to make one. The water is cold but is always glass. As long as it's liquid I'd like to get as much use as I can out of the boat. Thumbup.gif

The place I store the boat forces me to put the boat in storage by the end of Nov, but the ice comes in PA pretty quick after that and is on the lake until early March. The heater will just allow me to push into both those months! Rockon.gif

The place I store the boat forces me to put the boat in storage by the end of Nov,

How do you know the place where you store your boat will never lose power to run your heater set-up?

How do you know the place where you store your boat will never lose power to run your heater set-up?

No power needed. It's 400 feet below the surface in an old limestone mine. Underground temp is 55 all year round. The block is full of straight Prestone anyway. I don't take chances Pete. You and I would get along with the back up to the back up philosophy. Rockon.gif

Here's where my boat's stored....

http://www.gatewaycc.com/

No power needed. It's 400 feet below the surface in an old limestone mine. Underground temp is 55 all year round. The block is full of straight Prestone anyway. I don't take chances Pete. You and I would get along with the back up to the back up philosophy. Rockon.gif

That's a neat looking cave. Do you park the Sunsetter next to the Batmobile?

That's a neat looking cave. Do you park the Sunsetter next to the Batmobile?

Haha! That's right! The Evo keeps the boat dry when I make the transition into the cave through the waterfall. LOL.gif

OMG That is so cool wow, :thumbup:

The engine has been drained too. At some point I'll pump it full of anti-freeze, but usually not before Christmas.... Santa has to fly somehow, ya know. :crazy:

The mine is cool. Like driving around in a huge parking garage. 400'?? How many floors? Or square miles??

The gold & silver mines around here & their not even close to that size.

The engine has been drained too. At some point I'll pump it full of anti-freeze, but usually not before Christmas.... Santa has to fly somehow, ya know. :crazy:

The mine is cool. Like driving around in a huge parking garage. 400'?? How many floors? Or square miles??

The gold & silver mines around here & their not even close to that size.

They say they have 1.1 million square feet of storage space and a potential for 2.5 million square feet. It's a big place.

M.A.

I'm pretty sure that antifreeze only reaches it's anti freezing capacities when there is 50% water mixed in it. 100% antifreeze does not get you the -50* (or whatever) protection that it says on the bottle of antifreeze.

Might wanna read this.

Edited by Pistol Pete

M.A.

I'm pretty sure that antifreeze only reaches it's anti freezing capacities when there is 50% water mixed in it. 100% antifreeze does not get you the -50* (or whatever) protection that it says on the bottle of antifreeze.

Might wanna read this.

Holy crap. I thought I was going to extra mile in my winterizing and providing extra protection. I guess not. Heck I could be paying half every year for my winterizing antifreeze costs! :Doh:

Oh well, no chance the boat will be above ground when the temps are below 10. Next year we'll fill her up with 50/50.

Thanks Pete.