Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon Cuttin out, high rpm

smooth as glass

Calling all Monsoon experts........ Was cruisin round last nite and noticed temp at 140, norm is 160+ and when @ WOT starts cutting out like high rpm limiter so I'm WTF and watching temp guage and boom right over a submerged 6x6 no need for WTF, Knew it wasnt good, wouldnt have seen it had I been lookin, Hobble home to lift thankfully only bent the prop, skegs all still there. Amazing but true. Question is was there something stuck in the thermostat, is that what would create low temp? or is there another possible explanation??????. Cant get back to WOT I till change the prop on weekend.

A faulty thermostat (stuck open/closed..whatever it is when engine is cold) in colder lake water could very well explain the cutting out. If the temp of the engine fell to below 139 degrees, the ECM should try to limit the RPM to 4200 (phased warm up)

Edited by rts

Didn't someone just post one of those "tests" a few weeks back with very similar symptons?

I would agree with Blast and Tracie - thermostat or impeller and add that there could also be some crap in the trans cooler filter.

Mike

May not even be close to the cause of the issue, but I had a problematic water temperature sensor earlier this year. It made re-starts a PITA but did not kick out at speed. Still something to check. It is a $25 part and easy for you to replace if needed.

Calling all Monsoon experts........ Was cruisin round last nite and noticed temp at 140, norm is 160+ and when @ WOT starts cutting out like high rpm limiter so I'm WTF and watching temp guage and boom right over a submerged 6x6 no need for WTF, Knew it wasnt good, wouldnt have seen it had I been lookin, Hobble home to lift thankfully only bent the prop, skegs all still there. Amazing but true. Question is was there something stuck in the thermostat, is that what would create low temp? or is there another possible explanation??????. Cant get back to WOT I till change the prop on weekend.

Typically a miss at higher RPM's is fuel related, when is the last time you changed your fuel filters? (you should have two, most people forget about the one at the tank) But your tempreture issue could be messing up the air/fuel mix as well. The ECM determines how much fuel at what temp the engine is at. Colder engine, more fuel... hotter engine less fuel. So when you are at WOT you could being running too rich making it "miss"

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

It was the t stat for sure. replaced and good as new! Now must assess the rudder damage as the log I hit did me no good. I'll post pics later to get some opinions, It cracked the gel coat and pieces of which are missing. rudders not bent and all else is in tact.