Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carpet Saver

hethj7

I've used the search function and see all kinds of discussions on carpet savers, where Malibu gets them, buying direct, etc. But, all seem to end up in a dead end, unless you have a newer hull and can buy direct from Malibu.

So, has anyone figured out if these can be bought for older Malibu's?

The company that makes them for Malibu won't do them "Aftermarket" like they do for the new boats but this company will make a one off one for you: Taylor Made Products

Make sure you tell them you want it to be over the carpet floor mat, get ready to pay the price though. One of my customers did one on a old Malibu Escape last summer and spent $800, one off products like that have a lot of labor in each one made since its not a production item.

Wish you luck!!

-Paul

Im going to make a template out of cardboard for my boat, cut it out of the Marine carpet of my choice, then have my upolstry guy put a edge on it. Maybe have him sew some non skid stuff on the bottom.

Im going to make a template out of cardboard for my boat, cut it out of the Marine carpet of my choice, then have my upolstry guy put a edge on it. Maybe have him sew some non skid stuff on the bottom.

Just keep in mind if you don't put the right backing on it the carpet will warp all to hell and look wierd, it would probably look like a bunch of waves and wouldn't look quite right. The heavyweight backing on the carpet savers is a hard rubber and it keeps the carpet tight and keeps it from warping for the most part.

I did something similar in the back of my Chevy Avalanche.... we call it the dog bed, using indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot. It's held up fine for almost 3 yrs in the truck & has a rubber backing on it. But it's a lot lighter weight than the carpet saver in the boat. You can see how it creases where the gap is between the seat & bed. And the rubber backing on the carpet saver has little rubber pins ever 1/2" or so that make it stick to the factory carpet.... just like floor mats in your truck.

I've also made the same thing for my wife's Pacifica. In both cases we bought the carpet, cut it to shape ourselves, then had the edges hemmed by a carpet shop. Cost like $30. Might be a bit more for the boat because of the length & number of hems to be done. Would be a good idea to find that heavy rubber backing with the pins on it, then have the carpet hemmed with it in place.

I like the carpet saver in the boat & would imagine it will be worth it for you to get it done if you can do it for a reasonable price. Good luck.

Does the carpet saver allow the original carpet/floor to dry? Do you have to take it out every outing?

I never take mine out of my boat. The rubber backing of the carpet saver prevents the carpet underneith from getting wet. Where the carpet saver is not a tight fit it can get wet on the exposed carpet but that dries quickly. Bottom line is that it's never been a problem on the last two boats I've had carpet savers in them. Best thing is that if you put the carpet saver in the boat when you first get it your carpet is still brand new when you take the carpet saver out.

Hey

I got lucky and found a new carpet saver for my Vride on ebay. The guy sold it to me for like $240 I believe. I remember at the time

he had one for a 247 also. I went back on ebay to check but didn'tsee any for sale at this time. I love mine. Everyone commented on how much nicer the carpet

felt when I first got it....very plush feeling compared to the original carpet. I got mine at the start of last season and didn't pull it out until the middle of this summer. I waned to take it out

and clean it 'cause it was starting to look a little dirty. When I pulled it out I noticed some black looking stains in the crease formed by the floor cover

for the gas tank. At first I was thinking that I should have pulled it out sooner and that I might have a problem. Luckily the stains came right out with

a wet rag. I then took my pressure washer and cleaned the boat carpet and the carpet saver, and wet vac'ed the water out. Looked like new!

I think the cover does a great job. I don't worry as much about kids dropping stuff as I did when it was hitting my boat carpet. (still pretty anal

about it though if you ask my crew, just not as bad as I used to be :crazy: ) I have taken a few rollers over the front from time to time...nothing

major, but enough to wash under the carpet saver and thats probably why I had the stains.

You could give these people a call......

http://www.corinthian-marine-carpet.com/boat-carpet-solutions/custom-fit-boat-carpet

not sure if they sell the car mat- like backed stuff that is used with the carpet savers but they might.

I had them send me some carpet samples a few years back before I had the saver and it seemed like

quality stuff, but pricey.

good luck

Thanks for all the info everyone. I was hoping I'd get lucky and and someone would offer it. At least it looks like there are options if I want to put a little work into it.

I have calls into 4 places I found online that might be able to make us custom ones. I'll update this thread as they get back to me.

I'd really like to get a nice one made for the Sunsetter.

Edited by martinarcher

Does the carpet saver allow the original carpet/floor to dry? Do you have to take it out every outing?

I only remove mine once a year, in the spring to clean the boat out. But I live in a really dry area too. If I was still in Seattle, I imagine there might be issues with it not drying as well. Although 06 doesn't seem to have much problem with it.