Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stolen Wakeboard found in classifieds

boatswaiyn

I had a wakeboard stolen from out of our boat last summer. The boat was sitting in our driveway after a day on the lake and at some point someone must have come by and snatched the board out of our boat. It was a 138 Ronix Mana with White CWB Torq Hinge Bindings. Yesterday while looking through the local KSL classifieds I saw my board was listed for sale. The police can't really do anything about it. They said they can go over there and confront them about it and say the board has been reported stolen and try and get him to tell the truth, but they said that usually doesn't work because the thief will just lie about it. We had a friend call the thief and just asked a bunch of questions about the board and where he got it from. He couldn't remember but thought his friend gave it to him that worked at a boardshop. He didn't know what boardshop that was though. :loser: I am 100% sure that this is my board but don't know how to get it back. Anyone have any ideas?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• boatswaiyn

• shawndoggy

• jetskipro550

• Levi900RR

Steal it back.

I don't know, I would be temped to tell him you want the board and want to come over, and when you get there just walk out with it and leave and tell him to F-O (but you better make dang sure that was your board). Chances are if the guy is a thief, there is a bunch of other stolen property hanging around also. You might ask him when you get there "what else have you got" and then send the cops over depending on what you see. Better yet, take a camera and start snapping photos of the stuff "you are trying to decide on" - then walk out with your board.

Edited by MalibuTime

I would have friends keep calling him about it. Saying that their friend had a similar board and that they really liked it. But it got stolen. Maybe you can make him sweat enough to not profit from the theft at least.

Steal it back.

I don't know, I would be temped to tell him you want the board and want to come over, and when you get there just walk out with it and leave and tell him to F-O (but you better make dang sure that was your board). Chances are if the guy is a thief, there is a bunch of other stolen property hanging around also. You might ask him when you get there "what else have you got" and then send the cops over depending on what you see. Better yet, take a camera and start snapping photos of the stuff "you are trying to decide on" - then walk out with your board.

+1. Go over there, look it over, and if it's yours, be honest. "Look man, this is my board, it was stolen from me. I'm leaving with this board. I don't want it to be a big deal, but if you're going to make it one, let's call the cops and we'll let them tell us who gets to keep it." Chances are he won't call the bluff. If the cops come and tell you too bad, well then you've at least put a scare into the guy.

How vindictive do you want to be ?

I don't own a gun, do I need to get one to pull off your plan? We were thinking of meeting up to buy the board and then just taking it and if he has a problem than he can report it stolen. I don't know how good of an idea this is because this guy could be some lunatic and then I would end up in the news getting shot over a wakeboard.

I don't own a gun, do I need to get one to pull off your plan? We were thinking of meeting up to buy the board and then just taking it and if he has a problem than he can report it stolen. I don't know how good of an idea this is because this guy could be some lunatic and then I would end up in the news getting shot over a wakeboard.

exactly

I like the idea of stealing it back. :crazy:

But you better be dead sure it's yours.

I had one of those motorized scooters stolen a while back. Like a Goped, but really amped up. Not the kind of thing anyone else has. Anyway, it got stolen out of my back yard. I suspected I knew who took it & told the police all about him. After a few days of them not doing a thing about it, I called them & told them I was going over to the guy's place to take care of business. When I got there I actually caught the idiot motoring around on it, stopped the truck right in front of him, jumped out & made a move towards him. The guy freaked, dropped the scooter & ran like a scared little girl. I picked it up, threw it in the truck & left. A few miles down the road the police were heading that way. I never heard any more from either of them. :loser:

I would go over and look at the board and if it is yours and the situation/dude do not appear to dangerous, then I would confront him with this is my board, either you can give it back to me or we call the cops and let them decide who's it is. If the situation feels wrong, just walk away as he probably has nothing to loose and you have plenty to loose.

+1. Go over there, look it over, and if it's yours, be honest. "Look man, this is my board, it was stolen from me. I'm leaving with this board. I don't want it to be a big deal, but if you're going to make it one, let's call the cops and we'll let them tell us who gets to keep it." Chances are he won't call the bluff. If the cops come and tell you too bad, well then you've at least put a scare into the guy.

I have no compassion for thieves, but how are you going to be positive it's your board?

I know my snowboards have serial numbers, thanks to neversummer, but haven't seen it on a wakeboard yet.

Can the police check his name for background? Maybe he's got a history and that make help in deciding how to handle this.

The thing is I don't even need the board anymore. I just don't want this guy to profit from my loss. The fact that he lives about 5 minutes away from me and the same year, size, color of board along with the same year, color, size bindings makes it almost impossible to not be my board. Those bindings don't come on that board if he got it from a boardshop. If he would have said he bought it from someone on craigslist or KSL then I would think that it is my board and the guy selling it just bought a stolen board.

This same thing happened to a buddy of mine and a CRF250R. He and several of his larger buddies all went over to "look" at it. He test drove it and burned the guys lawn up. Then rode it up into the back of his truck and left.

I would go over like your going to buy it, if it is a hostile situation get out. If not take what is yours...

This same thing happened to a buddy of mine and a CRF250R. He and several of his larger buddies all went over to "look" at it. He test drove it and burned the guys lawn up. Then rode it up into the back of his truck and left. I would go over like your going to buy it, if it is a hostile situation get out. If not take what is yours...

:rofl: Sounds like something I would do.

I would go over and look at the board and if it is yours and the situation/dude do not appear to dangerous, then I would confront him with this is my board, either you can give it back to me or we call the cops and let them decide who's it is. If the situation feels wrong, just walk away as he probably has nothing to loose and you have plenty to loose.

:plus1: You can tell the guy it was in fact stolen from you. You don't know him from Adam but would like your board back. Either the guy will fess up, or you will leave empty handed.

Without a confession, or hard proof ie. serial number or name engraved etc. Its kinda he said, she said.

This same thing happened to a buddy of mine and a CRF250R. He and several of his larger buddies all went over to "look" at it. He test drove it and burned the guys lawn up. Then rode it up into the back of his truck and left.

I would go over like your going to buy it, if it is a hostile situation get out. If not take what is yours...

LOL, would love to see the youtube vid of that.

I had a wakeboard stolen from out of our boat last summer. The boat was sitting in our driveway after a day on the lake and at some point someone must have come by and snatched the board out of our boat. It was a 138 Ronix Mana with White CWB Torq Hinge Bindings. Yesterday while looking through the local KSL classifieds I saw my board was listed for sale. The police can't really do anything about it. They said they can go over there and confront them about it and say the board has been reported stolen and try and get him to tell the truth, but they said that usually doesn't work because the thief will just lie about it. We had a friend call the thief and just asked a bunch of questions about the board and where he got it from. He couldn't remember but thought his friend gave it to him that worked at a boardshop. He didn't know what boardshop that was though. :loser: I am 100% sure that this is my board but don't know how to get it back. Anyone have any ideas?

Remember that if he IS the thief, then he knows where you live cause he stole the board out of the boat in your driveway. He could come back and do something really stupid. I would go over there and ask for your board back nicely, no questions asked, or you'll have to get the police involved. Tell him that it would be much easier for him to give the board back now rather than the alternative.

Edited by Joe Hollywood

The police can't really do anything about it. They said they can go over there and confront them about it and say the board has been reported stolen and try and get him to tell the truth, but they said that usually doesn't work because the thief will just lie about it.

If the police said they would go over there and talk to the guy, I think I would give that a try first. Best case, the guy gets scared and gives up the board. Worst case, the guy gets a little scare put into him and may rethink advertising the board for sale, as he will know someone is on to him.

This way, you avoid the absolute worst case scenario of you confronting him persoanally, having emotions boil over and/or the situation gets out of hand, and next thing you know you are the one either hurt or in handcuffs for huring him.

One other think to consider is to have a freind go check the board out, and if he is a younger person living with his parents, consider giving the parents a call to let them know their child is fencing goods.

:plus1: You can tell the guy it was in fact stolen from you. You don't know him from Adam but would like your board back. Either the guy will fess up, or you will leave empty handed.

Without a confession, or hard proof ie. serial number or name engraved etc. Its kinda he said, she said.

There is no way to prove it because wakeboards don't have serial numbers. Even if it did have a serial number I wouldn't know it. It is he said she said. I could have seen him take it and walk right across the street and I would be in the same situation. The friend of mine that called is actually a officer for Roy City and this is what he does, but this is out of his jurisdition so he couldn't do any more than call and pretend he was interested to get more info. He has said he has busted a bunch of theifs trying to sell the goods on craigslist. The only problem is that I can't threaten to take them to jail and I'm not that intimidating at 5'9" 150lbs. Last year was a bad year for boards with me. A few months after getting this board stolen, my snowboard got stolen at the resort. I will say that I sure keep track and lock up everything now. I guess I was a little too trusting.

One other think to consider is to have a freind go check the board out, and if he is a younger person living with his parents, consider giving the parents a call to let them know their child is fencing goods.

He is a freshman in college and just moved out of his house. He actually listed his home phone which is his parents number along with his cell phone. I don't know how much authority his parents have if he has moved out of their house but I guess it is worth a try.

I had a very similar situation happen to me several years ago. All my gear was stolen; board, vest, rope and skate from my carport! Being in a small town with very few known riders in the area the crack head tried to sell it to someone else that I knew and had ridden with who recognized the board from my stickers. They called me immediately to tell me they found most of my stuff. Since I had already filed a police report they told the guy he could either turn the stuff over to them or they would stay there and wait for the cops to show up at his door. Fortunately he cooperated and gave them all of my gear! I would try a similar approach, either go try to collect it with some buddies or just send some of your friends but don't show up at his place solo. Regardless if you need the board or not a thief is worthless and needs to be dealt with but don't risk getting hurt or worse for a board that can be replaced. Good luck!

He is a freshman in college and just moved out of his house. He actually listed his home phone which is his parents number along with his cell phone. I don't know how much authority his parents have if he has moved out of their house but I guess it is worth a try.

That's perfect then. When I was that age, I would have chosen a trip to jail over making my parents ashamed of me. Give the parents a call.

EDIT: Or give him a call on his cell phone and tell him you will be giving his parents a call next.

Edited by RTS

It is always a good idea to put your Initials, a sticker over your initials or name, or some kind of identifing mark on the board somewhere. I like to put my initials under a sticker that is located under the boots. Most people will readjust the boots but not really worry about whats under them. Just my 2 cents....