Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stuck bu on boat hoist

tuslake

Soooo, the boat TusLake was talking about is no longer stuck on the lift. Let me give you a little more info:

The 'usual' routine on the lake was altered this year. Instead of dropping the lake quickly to the usual draw-down level and then letting it go gradually, they kept letting it go! Water depth at front of lift was 18" and at rear of lift was 32". When cradle was lowered, front of cradle hit lake bottom, thus stopping any downward travel. Though hull was touching water at the keel, the chines of the boat were not yet touching water and at least 2+ inches shy. I'd say a good 6-8" of water depth needed to float the boat.

Solution went like this:

Rope secured at rear post of lift, up through bow eye, and back near other rear post. There attached to a come-along. Boat was lowered as far as possible with a tube under the bow. One guy cranking come along, one guy heaving at the bow, the boat would shift back an inch or two at a time. Eventually, it reached a fulcrum point over the rear legs of the hoist. At this point, 100# wife bouncing on the swim platform, one guy jostling the bow, and another guy at the throttle using a judicious amount of reverse. Hoist tipped slightly rearward, boat slid off and sat there just begging to go skiing. I wish I could say the tube got popped during this process, but alas, it lives.

Oh, and the reason I can provide so much detail about this is...um...oh, nevermind. :whistle:

Soooo, the boat TusLake was talking about is no longer stuck on the lift. Let me give you a little more info:

The 'usual' routine on the lake was altered this year. Instead of dropping the lake quickly to the usual draw-down level and then letting it go gradually, they kept letting it go! Water depth at front of lift was 18" and at rear of lift was 32". When cradle was lowered, front of cradle hit lake bottom, thus stopping any downward travel. Though hull was touching water at the keel, the chines of the boat were not yet touching water and at least 2+ inches shy. I'd say a good 6-8" of water depth needed to float the boat.

Solution went like this:

Rope secured at rear post of lift, up through bow eye, and back near other rear post. There attached to a come-along. Boat was lowered as far as possible with a tube under the bow. One guy cranking come along, one guy heaving at the bow, the boat would shift back an inch or two at a time. Eventually, it reached a fulcrum point over the rear legs of the hoist. At this point, 100# wife bouncing on the swim platform, one guy jostling the bow, and another guy at the throttle using a judicious amount of reverse. Hoist tipped slightly rearward, boat slid off and sat there just begging to go skiing. I wish I could say the tube got popped during this process, but alas, it lives.

Oh, and the reason I can provide so much detail about this is...um...oh, nevermind. :whistle:

Well welcome back Jack, glad your boat survived the fall. But a couple of fat chicks on the back may have worked better.

-Chris

Hi Chris! Long time no talk. Boat is just fine--and my stomach is doing a bit better now that my hull has been splashed. :biggrin:

I'm just waiting for some of the other yokels on here to take their shots at me... :innocent:

Solution went like this:

Hopefully this will be on Americas Funniest Videoes or Youtube.

When the OP first posted I wasn't sure the lift was in any water.

Hi Chris! Long time no talk. Boat is just fine--and my stomach is doing a bit better now that my hull has been splashed. :biggrin:

I'm just waiting for some of the other yokels on here to take their shots at me... :innocent:

I said nothing!!!! Been lurking but said Nothing! :lol:

Ok, now I'm feeling a little better. It's one thing to have my stomach in a knot, wondering how I'm going to save my baby, feeling like a helpless idiot. It's another thing, entirely, to have people who can understand my pain make fun of me. It's a far, far better thing to have long-lost friends like you! :biggrin: Actually, the only thing that could possibly make me feel any better than this is if Michael chimed in here and took a shot at me. :grouphug:

BTW, the OP was the guy shoving on the bow of the boat. If you've ever heard the Tracy Lawrence song, "Find Out Who Your Friends Are", it may as well have been written about him. If you've never heard it, it's worth a listen.

Edited by VinRLX
Actually, the only thing that could possibly make me feel any better than this is if Michael chimed in here and took a shot at me. :grouphug:

Just wait, I'll bet it's coming...

Seriously, glad to see you back on the site, even if it is for something like this. Hopefully you've been away because you had a much better time actually skiing than pontificating about it here. ;)

Ok, now I'm feeling a little better. It's one thing to have my stomach in a knot, wondering how I'm going to save my baby, feeling like a helpless idiot. It's another thing, entirely, to have people who can understand my pain make fun of me. It's a far, far better thing to have long-lost friends like you! :biggrin: Actually, the only thing that could possibly make me feel any better than this is if Michael chimed in here and took a shot at me. :grouphug:

BTW, the OP was the guy shoving on the bow of the boat. If you've ever heard the Tracy Lawrence song, "Find Out Who Your Friends Are", it may as well have been written about him. If you've never heard it, it's worth a listen.

I'm glad it's out too,next year it's coming out the week after mine!!!!! no but ,I still might ski :)