Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stuck bu on boat hoist

tuslake

Anyone have any good ideas on how to get a friends boat off hoist with the water level dropped so fast.she's stuck high an dry? Thought may jack front of hoist,tip toward back ,or inflate tubes under her. please let me know!

I take it the lift is broke and can’t be lowered or is as low as it will go. What’s the clearance between the boat and the water? What’s the water depth under the boat?

Could try getting something under the legs - plywood, or something to skid it (unless you have enough water to dig the legs down, that sounds quickest and cheapest!) on and pull the whole thing farther out into the lake. If that will work, you will probably have to keep laying down the surface or moving it, unless you can fashion some very large skids that stay attached. I think I would try some type of temporary sled - two runners and some bracing to keep them parrallel, strap the legs tight and pull the sled out.

Alternatively, anyone on the lake with a barge/crane?

Edited by MalibuTime

We take a shovel to the 4 legs and dig under them. It is easier than you think...Good Luck

Do you have a lake pump or can your run a hose from the hose and jet under the feet? Jet out a trench.

I've got a pair of lift bags ... like what they use to raise sunken ships ... but on a much smaller scale. They provide 500 lbs of lift per bag, pretty impressive.

I've got a jack that could lift the lift/boat and like others have say put board under the feet and slide it back.

Some sort of big boat to pull the lift and boat back?

They key is how much water is the lift in? I take it the water will come back? Winterize it on the lift.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to get a friends boat off hoist with the water level dropped so fast.she's stuck high an dry? Thought may jack front of hoist,tip toward back ,or inflate tubes under her. please let me know!

Rent yourself one of them chinook helicopters. Then get yourself a lift that works

That stinks! Aluminum lift? If so, you can't leave that in the water, water will freeze inside the legs and break them.

Is there water under the boat, and if so how much? How much does the lift/boat need to go down before it can be moved off the lift?

Might try some silicone (sp) spray on the bunks to help get it off the lift once you get it in water that pretty close to being deep enough. Somehow how rig a straw like WD-40 or canned air has. Be careful as you don't want the boat to come off too shallow of water :whistle:

Crank the lift all the way up, winterize it, shrink wrap it, and call it good. Then in the spring you're all that much closer to boating when the water rises.

Crank the lift all the way up, winterize it, shrink wrap it, and call it good. Then in the spring you're all that much closer to boating when the water rises.

Yep, this is what I'd do.

But since the OP hasn't been here since he posted, maybe he's out there diggin a trench from the water to his boat. :crazy:

Had a buddy in Florida do that a few years ago. He ended up being fined by some government busybody because of it.

Yep, this is what I'd do.

But since the OP hasn't been here since he posted, maybe he's out there diggin a trench from the water to his boat. :crazy:

Had a buddy in Florida do that a few years ago. He ended up being fined by some government busybody because of it.

Hopefully he's not stuck under it...

I'd probably winterize and cover it in place as suggested here. Then figure some way to further support it from potentially falling in case a cable breaks during the winter to prevent a possible disaster!!

That stinks! Aluminum lift? If so, you can't leave that in the water, water will freeze inside the legs and break them.

:no: I haven't pulled my lift out of our channel in the (almost) 14 years since we bought our house, no problems at all with freezing. Same with the other probably 25 hoists on our channel. The real issue is an ice flow that will pretzel a lift in a hurry. Living on a channel, I don't have to worry about that.

A Bu got stuck on a lift last year, November 1 is a traditional drop the level of the lake date and he was doing it on the 2nd but the dam was left open and not closed back off so the level dropped much more than normal. Removal was to push the boat off the lift with a Kubota tractor using the shovel and plywood to minimize any damage on the nose. Came off w/o any damage. Good suggestions on making sure the bunks are as slick as possible. Hopefully the bunks are longitudinal or this could be a bigger challenge.

Thanks guys for the ideas.The lake freezes,over the nomally gets about 30 plus inches thick. the hoist legs are all the way down so the frame is bottomed out on in gravel. I think I'll spray bunks,hopfully he has allready.then use a excavator, strap the hoist tip it back into the water. It might be 2 feet deep in the back. I'll let ya know how it goes sat.

30 + inches, yikes. Wouldn't want to drill a hole in that to go ice fishing.

Is there anyway to use a backhoe and protect the front of the bow and push the boat off? Gently with a bucket. Good luck.

Edit: Could you gently push the lift out deeper with a backhoe bucket? With a bunch of guys on the sides of the lift ... both lifting it and at the same time pushing/pulling it out deeper? You would have to be extra careful with an aluminum lift.

Edited by MalibuNation

:no: I haven't pulled my lift out of our channel in the (almost) 14 years since we bought our house, no problems at all with freezing. Same with the other probably 25 hoists on our channel. The real issue is an ice flow that will pretzel a lift in a hurry. Living on a channel, I don't have to worry about that.

Hey, you are right. Now that I think of it I've seen lots of channel property where the aluminum lifts stay in. I was thinking of my own experience on my first lift. The back legs did not have drain holes in them and over the winter, with the lift on the sand, the water inside the legs froze and split the back legs. I had to weld them up and drill drain holes. But like you say, I'd be worried about the ice flow.

Thanks guys for the ideas.The lake freezes,over the nomally gets about 30 plus inches thick. the hoist legs are all the way down so the frame is bottomed out on in gravel. I think I'll spray bunks,hopfully he has allready.then use a excavator, strap the hoist tip it back into the water. It might be 2 feet deep in the back. I'll let ya know how it goes sat.

That's a lot of ice flow!

30 + inches, yikes. Wouldn't want to drill a hole in that to go ice fishing.

Is there anyway to use a backhoe and protect the front of the bow and push the boat off? Gently with a bucket. Good luck.

Edit: Could you gently push the lift out deeper with a backhoe bucket? With a bunch of guys on the sides of the lift ... both lifting it and at the same time pushing/pulling it out deeper? You would have to be extra careful with an aluminum lift.

Be careful with any tractor work. I've seen a lot of people badly bend parts on lift by trying to lift it, nudge it, slide it, etc with tow straps and/or tractor buckets. Aluminum is a lot weaker than it looks.

Be careful with any tractor work. I've seen a lot of people badly bend parts on lift by trying to lift it, nudge it, slide it, etc with tow straps and/or tractor buckets. Aluminum is a lot weaker than it looks.

I've seen them flex being picked up by a folk lift ... but Tuslak's (sp) friend might be desperate.

Michigan Boarder, have you been by Maple Lake in Paw Paw now that they drawn the lake down ... I've seen several boats on lifts high and dry. Weird thing to see. Wondering how Ackley Lake is doing?