Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf board suggestions?

wakeboarder3780

Always been a wakeboarder but recently got a boat that would allow me to try wakesurfing and would like to try it this next season. I'm currently 190lbs but I'll likely be getting bigger. Probably not over 220-230lbs though. 5' 7'' if that matters. I would like a board that won't "hold me back" if that mentality even exists in wakesurfing.

Does anyone have any board suggestions? I have no idea what I'm looking at. For wakeboarding I can tell you I typically ride continuous or hybrid rockers (don't care for the plow of a 3-stage) and I typically like boards that have a loose feel. If that translates into wakesurf world at all let me know!

I am 215 and 6-2 tall and surf the Inland surfer Squirt. It is a compression molded board but has the quality you get from IS. $350.00. Very fast and light board.

Always been a wakeboarder but recently got a boat that would allow me to try wakesurfing and would like to try it this next season. I'm currently 190lbs but I'll likely be getting bigger. Probably not over 220-230lbs though. 5' 7'' if that matters. I would like a board that won't "hold me back" if that mentality even exists in wakesurfing.

Does anyone have any board suggestions? I have no idea what I'm looking at. For wakeboarding I can tell you I typically ride continuous or hybrid rockers (don't care for the plow of a 3-stage) and I typically like boards that have a loose feel. If that translates into wakesurf world at all let me know!

check out the thread on the triple x boards. You won't look back! I am 215 and ride the slasher pro. Very reasonably priced but tend to be fragile.

30-40lbs, thats some heavy training and protein bro.Whistling.gif

Yeah and it's also 6 years down the road :)

200-210 is my goal weight but i'll be heavier before i cut. All in due time.

Man there are so many kinds of boards and feels to it, the best thing is to demo as many as you can before you buy. And if you buy before you demo then buy used so you are not out a lot of money if you do not like the board. I have been riding for a while now and have riden alot of boards. The best board i have ever riden out of all the high and low end boards is one the Riverrunner had made he calls the stolen fish. Untill he has some of those made i prefer the Inland surfer Sweet spot. I have a walker I ride also that i like but it is not as fun as the Sweetspot. Thats surf style, skim style is fun also but not as fun to me. I have had a few different skims and rode many different ones. I just sold my XXX slasher to a buddy because he loved it and it was just ok for me. the next skim board that i will own will be the Drew carbon pro XL. I have riden this one many times and it is by far my favorite skimer. Again demo as much as you can because they all have a feel of their own and you wont really know what you like untill you feel it yourself. Good luck.

Man there are so many kinds of boards and feels to it, the best thing is to demo as many as you can before you buy. And if you buy before you demo then buy used so you are not out a lot of money if you do not like the board.

Sound advice, however I live in an area that doesn't have demo's (wausau, WI). You almost always see this advice but it simply doesn't exist for some people out there. Watersports is my thing and I typically don't mind dropping money on it. I don't mind buying the board brand new and if I don't like it, it's pretty easy to sell since it's basically in new condition. I typically don't lose much on the sale.

Also it's my first board. No one hates their first board because it's all they know. It's only when you try other things that you get excited about the new feel. Hence I don't think I'll hate anything I get first until i ride another one. They're expensive enough that I probably won't try many :D

Wausau? make your way over to DePere and you can Demo mine!

Now if only it weren't so late in the season I might have to take you up on that :) I think I'll get that inland surfer squirt - once I can confirm it's the right size for me.

Agree that Inland Surfer is a good place to start. Their boards are fast enough and float well enough to get most people ropeless quickly. We have found that starting new riders on surfstyle rather than skimstyle boards can be beneficial. The skimstyle will feel more wakeboard-like in the edges but they don't pump as well if you are fading back out of the pocket. When you are first starting avoid the temptation to throw the rope as soon as you get slack - your sets will be longer and you will progress faster.

just go to the IS site and they have a board finder. The Squirt will come up on all levels. I've had people ranging from 150-250 on it. The lighter people really fly on it. It is a skim style board. IS made this compression molded board to compete with the wakeboard manufacture's prices. I've ridden on most brands and so have my friends. Everyone seems to like this board and do quite well. If you want a surf style board, the IS Blue Lake is pretty good, buddy has one and it is more forgiving than the Squirt, just not as fast. For the money, the Squirt can't be beat!