Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Wakeboard / Surf boat for 20K?

Levi900RR

I am in no way thinking about upgrading but if I was :crazy: This is what I would be looking for. I want to get everyone's option on which Bu would fit the bill best. I REALLY like Bills 05 V-Ride but I think those are a bit more expensive than 20K.

Like I said, i'm not in a position to upgrade right now but this will help me dream over the winter!

I am in no way thinking about upgrading but if I was :crazy: This is what I would be looking for. I want to get everyone's option on which Bu would fit the bill best. I REALLY like Bills 05 V-Ride but I think those are a bit more expensive than 20K.

Like I said, i'm not in a position to upgrade right now but this will help me dream over the winter!

Our vRides are the same as the early vlx, except the few that were put on diamond hulls (2001?) so I would say 2000 vlx might be close to that price range.

I just finished boat shopping and started out wanting a 20k boat also. I looked for 98-2000 sunsetters with non diamond hulls. You can tell by the hull profile from the rear with hull it is. diamonds have a lip at the corners if that makes sense.

if you find one in good condition, don't hestitate too long 'cause they get bought up. I, however, kept finding ones in bad condition due to neglect so I eventually just threw another $10k onto the fire.

Edited by augie09

I just finished boat shopping and started out wanting a 20k boat also. I looked for 98-2000 sunsetters with non diamond hulls. You can tell by the hull profile from the rear with hull it is. diamonds have a lip at the corners if that makes sense.

if you find one in good condition, don't hestitate too long 'cause they get bought up. I, however, kept finding ones in bad condition due to neglect so I eventually just threw another $10k onto the fire.

This is going to end up being my game plan, as I did with the Skier. I bought one that needed a bunch of work and saved some $. AND I got to fix it up the way I wanted it.

Edited by Levi900RR

This is going to end up being my game plan, as I did with the Skier. I bought one that needed a bunch of work and saved some $. AND I got to fix it up the way I wanted it.

More power to you! I enjoy a project, but with a 2 yr old and a new due in 6 weeks I've had to tame down my ambitions. Best of luck. Only thing I'd note is it can be hard to find parts the older you go, but no doubt some of the more veteran peeps on this forum could help out.

More power to you! I enjoy a project, but with a 2 yr old and a new due in 6 weeks I've had to tame down my ambitions. Best of luck. Only thing I'd note is it can be hard to find parts the older you go, but no doubt some of the more veteran peeps on this forum could help out.

For sure, I have a 14 month old girl at home which has SERIOUSLY cut into my boat time. It will be a factor when the time comes.

:thumbup:

So you found an '08 vRide for around 30K!?? :cry: There goes my resale value! :mad:

In that price range one needs to be prepared to compromise a little... I would not discount the SV23 diamond hulls out of hand... its not as drastic a difference as the newer "cut diamond" hulls and the little bit of extra lift can be overcome with some weight and a wedge. The slight reverse chine doesn't seem to mess with the wake's shape as far as I can tell.

Yeah man, all the V-Rides I see are at LEAST 35K for like 05-06's...

There's an 05 in Eugene OR for $28K. It's got NV numbers on it so I think it's the one that was for sale locally here a few months back with under 100 hours.

So you found an '08 vRide for around 30K!?? :cry: There goes my resale value! :mad:

technically 33k :blush: i have a bad habit of rounding down.

it did include 50% of any parts/service in next 6months. Getting 750 rear fly high sacks fully plumbed wth switches next month. not to mention 2 year warranty from malibu.

Edited by augie09

technically 33k :blush: i have a bad habit of rounding down.

it did include 50% of any parts/service in next 6months. Getting 750 rear fly high sacks fully plumbed wth switches next month. not to mention 2 year warranty from malibu.

Well that makes me feel a little better but you certainly got a sweet deal :thumbup:

We just picked up a 2000 VLX and from what I saw after just an hour or so on the water, it will make a great boarding/surfing machine. Let's keep in mind the OP stated $20K. From what I've seen, you won't touch an 04 VLX or V-Ride for that price.

We just picked up a 2000 VLX and from what I saw after just an hour or so on the water, it will make a great boarding/surfing machine. Let's keep in mind the OP stated $20K. From what I've seen, you won't touch an 04 VLX or V-Ride for that price.

'

if he's looking for a fixer upper, he might find on that young. There was a 04 vlx for sale in KC 3 weeks ago for 22.5k.

Actually it might still be for sale. Here's the link. This is one of the ones I went and looked at when shopping. The Engine, Drive and Hull are in great condition, but boat was left out uncovered for some period of time under a walnut tree and it looked like a dog was allowed in the boat, so it needed all new vinyl imo. If you're gifted with upholstery repair, it's a good deal and he was willing to haggle.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/1999735560.html

2002 Wakesetter XTI Starting Bid $22,000 Buy it now $24,000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Malibu-Wakesetter-XTI-/260686980591?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item3cb227a5ef

Looks like a really nice deal to me.

I don't Ski at all, so I'm thinking that a V Drive would be a requirement for me. But maybe not. There is a guy local to me that has been trying to sell an XTI for a WHILE. I think its about the same price.

I don't Ski at all, so I'm thinking that a V Drive would be a requirement for me. But maybe not. There is a guy local to me that has been trying to sell an XTI for a WHILE. I think its about the same price.

ya, DD is going to do nothing but hurt a surf wake.

ya, DD is going to do nothing but hurt a surf wake.

That may not be entirely true... Though it is conventional wisdom on the interwebs that DDs are a nicht nicht; those who are avid surfers put increasing amounts of weight midship and forward in an effort to lengthen the pocket and add some "meat" to the wave. True, obscene weight at the transom gives you height right behind the boat (which looks good in pics) but my best sets have been with more moderate heights and long pockets one can work for speed (tricks) and ultimately more flexibility. I have found the enemy in most DD's is not the engine placement, rather the amount of freeboard one has to work with as one adds weight without fear of swamping.

Heck, I even see boats rigged for surfing trying to turn with their ballasted side on the outside of the turn. The sport of wake surfing is still relatively young.