Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

life jackets and wet carpet, plastic compartment inserts???

Hi,

I am a newby to carpets in boats and just bought a 2007 wakesetter 23 ft LSV. The cooler is awesome and will use it for drinks of course. I am curious as to why Malibu carpets everything else and does not have another compartment without carpet to use for wet items like wetsuits, lifejackets, etc. Wouldn't it be better to put that stuff in a plastic lined compartment instead of on the carpet lined inside storage? Has anyone added a plastic lined compartment for wet stuff? Or maybe some company sells a plastic compartment which fits perfectly under one of the Malibu seats? Or a container for under the rear sun pad? If anyone knows of this then would appreciate any info or links.

Thanks

I have a large clear plactic tub that fits in the back storage area. I measured and then took the tape measure to WalMart and found the right size. The one I have holds 2 tubes plus about 6 life vests. I am always amazed at how much water I pour out of it when I get home (half gallon or more).

I also have a smaller, flatter one I keep under one of the side seats. I "hinged" the lid on this one and use it for "almost dry" storage when we are out.

Can’t say I ever thought about it before but it make sense. I have a large storage area in the rear of my Sunsetter but it is carpeted. I just leave the lid up at home till it dries out.

I have a large clear plactic tub that fits in the back storage area. I measured and then took the tape measure to WalMart and found the right size. The one I have holds 2 tubes plus about 6 life vests. I am always amazed at how much water I pour out of it when I get home (half gallon or more).

I also have a smaller, flatter one I keep under one of the side seats. I "hinged" the lid on this one and use it for "almost dry" storage when we are out.

I did the same thing, I have a big black tub that just fits one of the rear storage compartments and put a fitting in the end of it and it attaches to a hose that drains into the bilge.

Terry

I floated the idea of custom liners with drains for the rear storage lockers but it went nowhere. I used tupperware tubs in my 2008. They worked ok. The problem is if they are big enough to fill the compartment and catch all of the water, then they are hard to remove and dump without spilling water back into the boat. Catch 22. A drain hose to the bilge would solve that, but I never got around to it. I had the containers under every seat to help keep stains off the carpet. Worked great.

My 2010 has the snap out tatami mat option and no carpet under the seats or in the storage lockers. That was a real leap of faith for me since the wall to wall carpet is one of the features that drew me to Malibu in the first place. Now that I have a boat that is almost carpet free, I could never go back.

Malibu does have a hard plastic compartment that goes over the engine. It is a great place to keep the neoprene on chilly days, but it is not that big. A couple of vests and wetsuits is about all you are going to get in there. Not sure if it was available for the2007's.

EDIT...Wow, I thought I was going to be the first to reply. You guys are quick!

Edited by skyskier

We use a milk crate for our lines and fenders. This way it drains and can get air to it.

We leave the life jacket out for a bit. We also hand a towel to the rider so they can dry off a bit. When you crawl/walk across the hatches while your soaking wet water does get in the hatch. No biggie. Never had any issues with any of our 4 Malibus. Just leave the hatches up or at least cracked to get in there.

Congrats on the new BU. Did you ever decide on storage?

I am not a big advocate for leaving wet items in the boat, I usually leave compartments open when in storage

Once a life jack is used and wet it doesn't go back in that storage area until it is dry. My boat sits on a lift and I always lug my wet jackets back to the house to dry in the garage.

My storage containers are 105 Qt. Sterite tubs. Clear plastic. This size fits nicely in the area next to the engine (LSV)

I leave the lids at home during boating season, and then use the tubs with the lids when I put everything in storage for the winter.

Like others said, nothing wet stays in the boat when we get home. I have a closet rod hangning from the garage ceiling and all of the life jackets go on a hanger to dry. Everything else gets laid out until dry enough to stack for the next trip.

Edited by Soon2BV

I'm the same as MalibuNation. Once a jacket or anything is used and is wet, it doesn't go back into the compartment until it dries out at home.

I the compartments were plastic lined, I think it would be a different story.

My storage containers are 105 Qt. Sterite tubs. Clear plastic. This size fits nicely in the area next to the engine (LSV)

I leave the lids at home during boating season, and then use the tubs with the lids when I put everything in storage for the winter.

Like others said, nothing wet stays in the boat when we get home. I have a closet rod hangning from the garage ceiling and all of the life jackets go on a hanger to dry. Everything else gets laid out until dry enough to stack for the next trip.

Same here, but my tub drains into the bilge. When we get home the boat house has a closet rod and everything wet hangs up to dry and the boat is left open to dry for a couple of days.

Terry

I would love to see all the compartments glassed and finished maybe a little rubber at the bottom to stop rattles. I'm sure the cost to carpet those areas is considerably cheaper. As for the cooler in my 01 Sunsetter, its a waste of space. It has no insulation and melts ice in an hour on a hot day. I should cut the darn thing out for more space.