Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Your Dream Malibu

mattm

I haven't been able to read the rest of the responses here but here is my list (mainly consists of improving what we've already got)

Perfect Pass - Let's get the MPH mode a lot more accurate. I don't see any reason it can't be effective to .2 mph

Towers - lets make sure we're installing towers *from the factory* perfectly so I'm not seeing gel coat cracks at the tower mounts.

Ballast - if legal - get more stock ballast in the boat. I think 1250 is a decent amount but a little more would never hurt. It seems most people run about 2k of ballast anyway.

Interior screws - stop using screws that are 6 inches long to go through an inch of material. Ever look down your gunnels? It not only looks ridiculous but you can cut your knuckles up on them too. This detracts from fit and finish feel for me.

Materials testing - Malibu *needs* to start testing the materials extensively before using on a boat. The fact that I have irremovable black marks on my upholstery because a rubber mat on my swim step bled ink is very frustrating for me (yes it's a well known issue but it's PREVENTABLE and we pay enough to expect a finished product.

The video recorder built into the tower was a great idea. I haven't seen video quality from it yet, but you can always improve video quality. Make this piece removable so we can update it (if it's not). Also consider frenching an LCD screen into the back of the boat so when you fall on a trick the driver can replay the video and you can see what you did wrong. Ideally this should be with a press of 1 button that automatically would just replay the last X seconds.

Graphics / looks: (this is an opinion thing) but don't make the boats any flashier than they already are. Some people like things a little bit more low key and doesn't look like they're paying for looks. I want to pay for function. I'm not saying it has to be ugly. But it doesnt have to have billions of glitz and glam all over - people that want it can add it later.

my $.02

I haven't been able to read the rest of the responses here but here is my list (mainly consists of improving what we've already got)

Perfect Pass - Let's get the MPH mode a lot more accurate. I don't see any reason it can't be effective to .2 mph

Towers - lets make sure we're installing towers *from the factory* perfectly so I'm not seeing gel coat cracks at the tower mounts.

Ballast - if legal - get more stock ballast in the boat. I think 1250 is a decent amount but a little more would never hurt. It seems most people run about 2k of ballast anyway.

Interior screws - stop using screws that are 6 inches long to go through an inch of material. Ever look down your gunnels? It not only looks ridiculous but you can cut your knuckles up on them too. This detracts from fit and finish feel for me.

Materials testing - Malibu *needs* to start testing the materials extensively before using on a boat. The fact that I have irremovable black marks on my upholstery because a rubber mat on my swim step bled ink is very frustrating for me (yes it's a well known issue but it's PREVENTABLE and we pay enough to expect a finished product.

The video recorder built into the tower was a great idea. I haven't seen video quality from it yet, but you can always improve video quality. Make this piece removable so we can update it (if it's not). Also consider frenching an LCD screen into the back of the boat so when you fall on a trick the driver can replay the video and you can see what you did wrong. Ideally this should be with a press of 1 button that automatically would just replay the last X seconds.

Graphics / looks: (this is an opinion thing) but don't make the boats any flashier than they already are. Some people like things a little bit more low key and doesn't look like they're paying for looks. I want to pay for function. I'm not saying it has to be ugly. But it doesnt have to have billions of glitz and glam all over - people that want it can add it later.

my $.02

stop using screws that are 6 inches long to go through an inch of material :rockon:

Anchor storage in the bow would be sweet like has been stated a couple of times in previous posts.

Owners manuals that contain color coded wiring diagrams

Remote oil filters as a stock option

Diesel, they are 30% more efficient and have the torque we all want and love.

Larger ballast hoses, like 1" so that fill and drain times are reduced.

Grease fittings on the end of the steering cable at the tiller arm so that you can grease the cable when you grease the rudder box

-Dave

A function that doesn't allow tubers behind the boat!!! LOL. Kids all ski and board yet still want to ride around on an inflated piece of plastic...go figure. Other than that I can't think of anything else. The Bu has everything I need. :thumbup:

I have tinkered with some design ideas for a removable hard top and a hard cover for the open bow for cold weather skiing. Those would be cool, but I am sure very $$ options if they were available from the factory or even aftermarket.

I'd be interested in seeing your design ideas.

Some interesting ones here too, unfortunately not very realistic ideas though.

corvette_boat4.jpg

I saw these in the past. Couldn't tell you where, but it was when open bow boats were first coming out.

Probably on the Corvette.

corvette2.jpg

One of the guys on Wakeworld built one for a VLXthis summer too. He says he's going to take some construction pics of it soon.

I'm waiting for someone to come up with a good idea on how to make a hard bow cover too. Basically it needs to be hinged so it can be tilted up to gain access to the bow. Plus it needs to be removable for summertime, and not leave a bunch of hardware behind when it's not on the boat.

My dream Malibu would be a Response LXi Barefoot edition with the old SV23 Diamond hull and no drive by wire crappy plastic throttle.

Basically anything after 2006, I don't want.

Disagree, my 08 LXi throttle compared to the 2010 in my opinion is much nicer to drive with than the mechanical type with cable. With my throttle I use just my wrist to ramp the gas up and down. Oh, and I have had zero problems with it too. With the throttle assembly in the new 2010 you have to slide your whole arm forward and down to give the boat more gas. The other thing I don't like about the new 2010 is the drivers seat, WAY TO HIGH and hard. Unless your the one that sits when you go to the bathroom your going to be looking over the windshield because the seat is so high in the new LXi. I also like my mirror assembly better because it attaches the to windshield frame in front of the driver and not on the walk through windshield frame. This means that if you put a bimini on the boat that over hangs the windshield even a little bit you will not be able to open the walk through portion of the windshiled without the mirror hitting the bimini.

The throttle is by far the smallest complaint I have on the new boats, the drivers seat is extremely bothersome, especially now when the weather is colder and wetter. I hate having to slide down in the seat and duck to avoid the wind coming over the windshield. I'm only 6 ft, not a giant.

One other thing, the seat heater needs to be tied into the ALL OFF mux switch. Or, get rid of the mux switches and go back to the tried and true rocker switches on the dash and put the seat heater switch on the dash with a LED light.

What I would like to see in the future boats is the current LXi with a better 15 and 22 off wake. Maybe go back to the old boat gel coat designs, I'm not much a fan of the new color scemes and flashing dashes of color here and there. Maybe a badass retro slalom/footing boat. I'd buy one in a heart beat.

Edited by Sullivan

Disagree, my 08 LXi throttle compared to the 2010 in my opinion is much nicer to drive with than the mechanical type with cable. With my throttle I use just my wrist to ramp the gas up and down. Oh, and I have had zero problems with it too. With the throttle assembly in the new 2010 you have to slide your whole arm forward and down to give the boat more gas.

I have not driven anything newer than a 2008 response. When I drove it, I could not stand the new throttle... WAY too sensitive. I like the old mechanical better. The last thing I want is a computer controlling my throttle to my motor. Toyota rings a bell...Not to mention, didn't Malibu recall those first sets of drive-by-wire when they introduced them? My Cousin's 2008 was recalled and now he can't rev. the motor like before...not like that is a pro/con.

In my boat, I don't even need to use my perfect pass if I am driving a straight line. My throttle holds perfect speed without being touched. Funny thing is my boat even drives perfectly straight if I let go of the steering wheel while driving. Pretty cool. Now if I just had eyes in the back of my head...

I have not driven anything newer than a 2008 response. When I drove it, I could not stand the new throttle... WAY too sensitive. I like the old mechanical better. The last thing I want is a computer controlling my throttle to my motor. Toyota rings a bell...Not to mention, didn't Malibu recall those first sets of drive-by-wire when they introduced them? My Cousin's 2008 was recalled and now he can't rev. the motor like before...not like that is a pro/con.

In my boat, I don't even need to use my perfect pass if I am driving a straight line. My throttle holds perfect speed without being touched. Funny thing is my boat even drives perfectly straight if I let go of the steering wheel while driving. Pretty cool. Now if I just had eyes in the back of my head...

Rev your motor, who cares and why would you do that? Its a fuel injected motor. I think you eluded to this but why point it out? Everyone who first uses the throttle by wire system the first time has to adjust to the sensitivity. Its not long before its old habbit. I jump in and out of both systems every day and there is no issues with having to get reaclimated to one throttle over the other.

Actually from what I have been told the Toyota deal had nothing to do with the throttle by wire system. I could be wrong here but I thought it had more to do with floor mat issues.

Your boat will not hold a constant speed pulling a slalom skier, no way, no how. And it will not drive perfectly straight either when a slalom skier is behind the boat.

Like I said earlier, the throttle is a minor issue. The drivers seat however, that one bugs me enough that I wouldn't buy a new LXi

Maybe the throttle is not such a big issue to you because you set your speed and go for longer distances pulling a footer. I am only going the length of a slalom course, dropping a skier to rest and then taking off again (a fair amount of using the throttle) to go around a turn island and get back up to speed to allow the ZO to take over and then we go throught the same routine at the other end of the lake. I guess what I am getting at is the Throttle by wire is smooth and lazy, the throttle by cable is agressive and a pain now that I have had the throttle by wire.

By the way, I hope I didn't affend you in my previous post. I reread what I wrote and I didn't mean to sound like a gerk but I kind of did.

Maybe the throttle is not such a big issue to you because you set your speed and go for longer distances pulling a footer. I am only going the length of a slalom course, dropping a skier to rest and then taking off again (a fair amount of using the throttle) to go around a turn island and get back up to speed to allow the ZO to take over and then we go throught the same routine at the other end of the lake. I guess what I am getting at is the Throttle by wire is smooth and lazy, the throttle by cable is agressive and a pain now that I have had the throttle by wire.

By the way, I hope I didn't affend you in my previous post. I reread what I wrote and I didn't mean to sound like a gerk but I kind of did.

Nah, not offended. It's just personal preference is all. I imagine if I had a throttle by wire system in my boat I'd learn to like it better or as well as the old mechanical style.

I gotta admit, I like the old mechanical systems better too. Typically I drive a few different boats pretty regularly. And their all older. So when I get in any of the new boats with the new systems, it takes me a while to get used to them. The throttle isn't so bad. But I'm not sure I'll ever like the MUX switches.

I gotta admit, I like the old mechanical systems better too. Typically I drive a few different boats pretty regularly. And their all older. So when I get in any of the new boats with the new systems, it takes me a while to get used to them. The throttle isn't so bad. But I'm not sure I'll ever like the MUX switches.

I think we are just getting old... :)

Dude, do you watch Seinfeld re-runs? Talking in 3rd person is NOT COOL!

:plus1: ......and typing in 3rd person? That's a whoooole nother level. :)

As far as my dream boat: (assuming everyone knows how super-cool my boat already is) I'd still like:

-Carpetless storage all the way around and especially in the rear compartments. No need.

-Drains (to the bilge) in every single storage compartment so you can easily hose them out after a weekend of camping.

-Anchor locker in bow.

-More cubbies, misc storage for the driver so you don't have to put your phone, glasses, etc on top of the dash.

-Volume control/ HSE unit as a factory option.

-Bigger coolers (like the 2007's) or, better yet, 2 coolers side by side. That way you can use one for dry storage if you don't have the demand for 2 on a given day.

-More outlets throughout boat for ballast pumps (in rear lockers etc).

:plus1: ......and typing in 3rd person? That's a whoooole nother level. :)

As far as my dream boat: (assuming everyone knows how super-cool my boat already is) I'd still like:

-Carpetless storage all the way around and especially in the rear compartments. No need.

-Drains (to the bilge) in every single storage compartment so you can easily hose them out after a weekend of camping.

-Anchor locker in bow.

-More cubbies, misc storage for the driver so you don't have to put your phone, glasses, etc on top of the dash.

-Volume control/ HSE unit as a factory option.

-Bigger coolers (like the 2007's) or, better yet, 2 coolers side by side. That way you can use one for dry storage if you don't have the demand for 2 on a given day.

-More outlets throughout boat for ballast pumps (in rear lockers etc).

Wow, almost everything here is do-able. If you didn't use your boat so much you'd have time to work on it. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I think someone else here mentioned a really good one - telescoping chair. We're all going to be different sizes and depending on the weather we might want to be above the windshield (nice day - wind in your hair) or below the windshield, like when i rode last night in mid 30 degree weather with rain (you want to be behind that windshield).

I guess I don't find this particularly hard to implement, is there any reason we don't have this yet?

What about plug n play ballast systems like on the Axis. If a daughter company of malibu is creating a boat with it and we're paying more for our boats, shouldn't we have it? Maybe the newer boats have it but as I think about how I want to put in additional ballast AGAIN, I'm really getting sick of having to jimmy rig my own systems and dink around trying to make it look finished.

Can anyone tell me if the newer boats have the PnP?

Edit: I have an 06 LSV and it doesn't have PnP and was not an option.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

a lot better horn

I don’t think I have ever seen a boat with a decent horn. They are so cheap people in the boat can barely hear them. For a horn to be effective it needs to project port, starboard, fore and maybe even aft.

I don't think I have ever seen a boat with a decent horn. They are so cheap people in the boat can barely hear them. For a horn to be effective it needs to project port, starboard, fore and maybe even aft.

My buddies Nautique has a horn, sounds like a truck. I think it's a 2006? Stock horn too.