Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

capacity placard

steemin

I just received a letter from the manufacturer of my pontoon.

The letter states:

"It has come to our attention that the person capacity is stated incorrectly on your capacity placard.

Recent testing has indicated that the boat's person capacity should have been stated at 12 versus the 15 that is indicated on your placard..."

This was followed by instructions as to how to remove the old placard and install the new correct placard.

I am not a happy camper!!

:(

How would you proceed?

Scott

Edited by steemin

I just received a letter from the manufacturer of my pontoon.

The letter states:

"It has come to our attention that the person capacity is stated incorrectly on your capacity placard.

Recent testing has indicated that the boat's person capacity should have been stated at 12 versus the 15 that is indicated on your placard..."

This was followed by instructions as to how to remove the old placard and install the new correct placard.

I am not a happy camper!!

:(

How would you proceed?

Scott

If you bought the boat based on capacity I would be p#@*d and demand compensation possibly even refund. I understand losing the placard but quite frankly that could be dangerous. If you overload the boat and something goes wrong the lawsuits may fly. JMHO. :(

if you purchased used i don't feel you have much recourse.

if you purchased it new from a dealer i would head over there and have a little chat.

seems the value of the rig might be less than 12/15th (yes, i know that is not a proper fraction) of what you paid for it.

if you purchased used i don't feel you have much recourse.

if you purchased it new from a dealer i would head over there and have a little chat.seems the value of the rig might be less than 12/15th (yes, i know that is not a proper fraction) of what you paid for it.

For sure. If you have an attorney, and you bought it new, have them send a letter to the manufacturer requesting a 20% (3/15ths) refund of the purchase price for obvious reasons. You could have them mention "class action" too regarding everyone that purchased a boat that was specified incorrectly.

I already know that there will be people jumping all over this about" too many laywers", "that's the problem" but you were short sold and renumeration is rightful and due. This is not frivolous.

And be prepared to show some actual damages...i.e. how many times you have to leave 3 people at the dock because the boat only holds 12 people now, and what that cost you. I don't know who the manufacturer is, but you can bet that any literature you have ever been given from them has said 'specifications subject to change" or something to that effect

Seriously, use any money you would spend on a lawyer for some gas and drinks for the pontoon. Getting any money out of the manufacturer for this will be harder than sticking a wet noodle up a bobcats a$$.

Edited by RTS

As a courtesy to the manufacturer I am not naming them at this time.

I Bought the boat new.

I have been disappointed since day one. With the stability of the boat.

Anytime we have several adults on the boat it dips down in the front and takes water over the bow.

My wife is scared to be on it any tme we have guests.

My guess is that someone got hurt on one of these boats due to its overstated capacity and this is their "solution"

I have a wakeoard boat and a 3 seat pwc.

I bought the pontoon specifically to be able to take larger groups of friends and family out on the water.

When one buys a pontoon the first question usually asked is how many people does this boat hold.y

Obviously I cannot use the boat as I was lead to believe it was intended.

Scott

Edited by steemin

And be prepared to show some actual damages...i.e. how many times you have to leave 3 people at the dock because the boat only holds 12 people now, and what that cost you. I don't know who the manufacturer is, but you can bet that any literature you have ever been given from them has said 'specifications subject to change" or something to that effect

Seriously, use any money you would spend on a lawyer for some gas and drinks for the pontoon. Getting any money out of the manufacturer for this will be harder than sticking a wet noodle up a bobcats a$$.

There was a class action notice on this site where you could get money for haveing purchased a mower that had the wrong hp rating. Missed by 0.5. I think this is a bit larger issue.

Seriously send a letter to the manufacturer telling them the boat isnow not useful for its orginally purchased need, See if they will upgrade you to a larger boat and take the old one in on a one for one trade. This is a huge liability issue for them as well.

Seriously send a letter to the manufacturer telling them the boat isnow not useful for its orginally purchased need, See if they will upgrade you to a larger boat and take the old one in on a one for one trade. This is a huge liability issue for them as well.

:plus1: Tell them you want a 15 person capacity boat or a full refund for misrepresenting the sale.

A class action notice is one thing...getting paid is another. Do you know if anyone got paid for their lack of 1/2 HP....other than the lawyers? Just askin'....

Yes you fill out the paperwork and could have gotten about $25.00 for a 12 year old mower that has worked perfectly all 12 years.

RTS, on November 01, 2010 - 04:00 PM, said:

harder than sticking a wet noodle up a bobcats a$$.

Michigan Boarder response:

That's a good one.

Trust me, I do this all the time

See above for bad reply/ signature combination LOL

Scott

Edited by steemin

Didn't it have a max weight also. If that was wrong also then you may have something to go after.

Yes this was reduced by over 500 lbs.

I am not a opportunist.

I just feel like the value of my boat at resale has been diminished as well as my ability to use it as I intended.

Scott

I'd be really ticked too. If you're ok with the weight reduction I'd demand a refund of some of the purchase price.

If you're not ok with this I'd go after a full refund.