Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Intake Water Hose Mod

martinarcher

put a towel down and run the hose over the towel. I don't think i could put that transom fitting on my boat.

Thats what I do now, I actually use a fender guard for working on cars, I still hate doing it I dont know why...

:plus1:

I also dont like draping a hose over the side of the boat... Maybe put the hose attachment fitting below the swim platform?

I would not trust that fitting for under waterline use, I think where the factory mounts them is about as good as you're going to get.

I put one on my boat with the transom hookup, makes running the boat for service and winterizing a breeze.

-Chris

Nicely done, MA! I've been using mine for 3 yrs now. Occasionally the hose is tough to pull off but not nearly as much of a problem as climbing around underneath the boat.

The FlushPro I had on the MC took a dive when I tried to use it in the winter, must have hit it on something steel when it was cold & the plastic was too weak.

Nicely done, MA! I've been using mine for 3 yrs now. Occasionally the hose is tough to pull off but not nearly as much of a problem as climbing around underneath the boat.

The FlushPro I had on the MC took a dive when I tried to use it in the winter, must have hit it on something steel when it was cold & the plastic was too weak.

Thanks man. I'm pretty confident that this will be a good set-up. I think it's quite a bit better than any plastic fitting I could have added. I'm just stoked I don't have to crawl under the boat and use that stupid fake-a-lake anymore. Yahoo.gif

I put one on my boat with the transom hookup, makes running the boat for service and winterizing a breeze.

-Chris

Any photo of te location of the install?

I may do this in the spring.

Not crazy about a fitting, but don't like hanging the hose across the side of the boat, either.

I think i will just go with the Perko Flush Kit minus the transom mount. Does anyone have a picture of where the mounted the Perko Flush Kit on a V-Drive. I would assume between the transmission and the impeller?

This Thread

Here are two photos from my install.

I was able to install it in the line between the intake and the transmission.

Thanks! Looking at my 09 VTX from the intake the hose makes a 90 bend then directly into the transmission. I think I will have to install it after the transmisison. Not sure if this will be an issue but when I was watching the guys winterize my boat they pulled of the hose between the transmission and the impeller so this is the exact place the flush pro will go.

On your install does the hose where you did the install run into your transmission or directly to your impeller. I assume you have a V-drive?

Edited by old skool malibu

This Thread

Here are two photos from my install.

I was able to install it in the line between the intake and the transmission.

Good call with the dish soap. That's what I used to install mine. Works like a champ to help the fittings slide into the hose. Thumbup.gif

On your install does the hose where you did the install run into your transmission or directly to your impeller. I assume you have a V-drive?

I have a V drive, but do not have any ballast or pumps, and with the 21.5 boat the hose from the hull intake was about 20" long.

So my connect is on the starboard side (drivers) and in between the water intake and the transmission (V). There was room for me to work there.

From all I have seen, it can also be installed in the line after the transmission, between the transmission and the impeller.

I have a V drive, but do not have any ballast or pumps, and with the 21.5 boat the hose from the hull intake was about 20" long.

So my connect is on the starboard side (drivers) and in between the water intake and the transmission (V). There was room for me to work there.

From all I have seen, it can also be installed in the line after the transmission, between the transmission and the impeller.

Thanks. I guess with the shorter boat space is a little more limited. I will definately have to go after the transmission.

Edited by old skool malibu
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
On 11/20/2010 at 6:17 PM, martinarcher said:

No, the piece of hose in the second pic is simply to get me from the male fitting to the garden hose adapter an adapter fitting from the hardware store.

The second pic from left to right goes like this (everything but #1 was obtained at the local hardware store)....

1. PN 51415K63 fitting from McMaster Carr (male quick connect to 1 1/4" barb).

2. 6 inches of 1 1/4" hose.

3. 1 1/4" barb to 1 1/2" NPT plastic pipe fitting.

4. 1 1/2" NPT to 3/4" steel bushing.

5. 3/4" X 2 inch long steel pipe.

6. 3/4" brass ball valve

7. 3/4" X 3 inch long steel pipe

8. 3/4" to female garden hose adapter

As for the link, that is the male fitting I used. I basically cut the intake water fitting in half about 6 inches from the thru hull and put the female (socket) fitting in the engine side (raw water pump end) and the male fitting in the thru hull side of the hose.

Hey,  is the hose you used a 1-1/4" Outside Diameter and 1" inside Diameter?  Is it the same size as the fresh water pickup hose?  Thanks!  I have a 99 VLX- hoping to do something similar.

Edited by wakesetterDD

Yep, it is just an extra bit of hose I had laying around from the outlet side of the fresh water circ pump which I believe is 1 1/4" ID.  It was a bit of a pain to get on the fitting since it is wire wrapped but the wire helps to keep the hose from collapsing when the engine is running and the pump is pulling water from the lake.  Just be careful not to run the engine too fast on the hose....it will outrun your garden hose and suck it flat pretty quick.  :lol: