Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Intake Water Hose Mod

martinarcher

I winterized the Bu last night and pulled out the cam lock coupling I bought form McMaster Carr last year. I installed it inline with the raw water hose about 5 inches form the thru hull. It allows me to easily disconnect the intake hose and drop it in a bucket for winterization.

I bought two of the plug fittings and one socket. The one plug will stay on the boat and the other will get an adapter to go straight to a garden hose. This will also eliminate the fake-a-lake and allow me to plug the garden hose directly into the water line. Rockon.gif It also has a cam locking mechanism to prevent accidental separation.

image_url-7666-1288563771.jpg

More pics in the boat house here...

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/garage/vehicle/3-malibu-sunsetter/page__tab__mods__mod_id__27

I winterized the Bu last night and pulled out the cam lock coupling I bought form McMaster Carr last year. I installed it inline with the raw water hose about 5 inches form the thru hull. It allows me to easily disconnect the intake hose and drop it in a bucket for winterization.

I bought two of the plug fittings and one socket. The one plug will stay on the boat and the other will get an adapter to go straight to a garden hose. This will also eliminate the fake-a-lake and allow me to plug the garden hose directly into the water line. Rockon.gif It also has a cam locking mechanism to prevent accidental separation.

image_url-7666-1288563771.jpg

More pics in the boat house here...

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/garage/vehicle/3-malibu-sunsetter/page__tab__mods__mod_id__27

Nice idea. Just a tip on those camlock fittings. I've seen the ears come loose so many times, make sure you tie the ears shut with a zip tie or somthing until you need it to come off.

Edited by 06vlx

Nice idea. Just a tip on those camlock fittings. I've seen the ears come loose so many times, make sure you tie the ears shut with a zip tie or somthing until you need it to come off.

Good call. They have some mega zip ties at work. Biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Took some pics of the hose adapter I made out of the other male fitting. Pretty cool set-up. I should have done this a long time ago instead of crawling under the boat with the fake-a-lake and hoping it didn't fall over while I was working in the boat.

Many more pics of it here.

image_url-7666-1290293694.jpg

image_url-7666-1290293606.jpg

Took some pics of the hose adapter I made out of the other male fitting. Pretty cool set-up. I should have done this a long time ago instead of crawling under the boat with the fake-a-lake and hoping it didn't fall over while I was working in the boat.

Many more pics of it here.

image_url-7666-1290293694.jpg

Pretty cool! I assume to pull your hose off the impller housing each time is difficult thats why you went to the clamp. I may just pull the hose off the impeller housing and add a similar end for the garden hose just not use the funky clamp..or would you advise otherwise?\

I looked up the pin you provided and it takes me to this part. Do you have a pin for the female end? http://www.mcmaster.com/#51415k63/=9t19x0

Edited by old skool malibu

Pretty cool! I assume to pull your hose off the impller housing each time is difficult thats why you went to the clamp. I may just pull the hose off the impeller housing and add a similar end for the garden hose just not use the funky clamp..or would you advise otherwise?\

I looked up the pin you provided and it takes me to this part. Do you have a pin for the female end? http://www.mcmaster....1415k63/=9t19x0

No, the piece of hose in the second pic is simply to get me from the male fitting to the garden hose adapter an adapter fitting from the hardware store.

The second pic from left to right goes like this (everything but #1 was obtained at the local hardware store)....

1. PN 51415K63 fitting from McMaster Carr (male quick connect to 1 1/4" barb).

2. 6 inches of 1 1/4" hose.

3. 1 1/4" barb to 1 1/2" NPT plastic pipe fitting.

4. 1 1/2" NPT to 3/4" steel bushing.

5. 3/4" X 2 inch long steel pipe.

6. 3/4" brass ball valve

7. 3/4" X 3 inch long steel pipe

8. 3/4" to female garden hose adapter

As for the link, that is the male fitting I used. I basically cut the intake water fitting in half about 6 inches from the thru hull and put the female (socket) fitting in the engine side (raw water pump end) and the male fitting in the thru hull side of the hose.

Edited by martinarcher
  • Like 1

Creative way of getting it done!!! Good job.

If you didn't want to get so creative you could just install a Perko Flush Kit

-Paul

Funny you just mentiond that Paul..I was just going to post on the Perko Flush Kit. Any feedback on it?

I see Bakes is selling the item for $119 where Overtons is $69 (link below). Any difference in the two? I would assume so being the price gap is significant.

Thanks Martinarcher - I may go with your set up if the feedback is negative on the Perko Flush Kit

http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/underwater_hardware/product/62/

http://www.perko.com/images/catalog/pdf/flushpro.pdf

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=25608&pdesc=Make_Freshwater_Flushing_Simple_Connecting_Garden_Hose_With_FlushPro_1_1/4_inlet&str=perko+fluspro&merchID=4005

Edited by old skool malibu

Thanks Paul.

I've never really thought about the Perko, but a solid aluminum locking fluid connector seems better than a plastic inline fitting. I think the fittings I used are a bit cheaper too. Yahoo.gif I've got no experience with the Perko though, maybe Paul will comment.

Another reason I went this way is I can drop the whole female fitting in a bucket of antifreeze and suck it into the engine for winterizing. Thumbup.gif

Edited by martinarcher

I need to take a look at re-routing my water intake hose. Mine takes a 90 right off the thru hull and runs under the Trans mount. It rubs a little in there and makes it so I can't do a mod like this. Having 2 inline T's on for my "Flush kit" and one for my ballast makes it a bit tight.

Nice Mod!!

not sure if it is important but if you replace the piece of black hose in this pic with clear hose, you would be able to monitor water flow like the perko flush pro product.

I like your idea better than the flush pro as i don't think i would be comfortable with a device that, if it had a spring malfunction, could restrict flow to the engine.

Have had the flush pro in mine since new. Factory installed. Now at 750 hours not a hint of trouble. Mine also has the added transom kit that adds the hose from the top of the Perko flush to a permanent hose fitting mounted through the transom.

I installed the Flush Pro fall 2009 and no problems with it so far.

I do like having the clear plastic housing so you can see the water flowing through when at the lake or when flushing / running at home.

I did not do the hull ftting, I have to connect the hose at the valve on the Flush Pro. I may add that next spring.

I think it is somewhat "fail safe" in that it takes water hose pressure to close the main inlet by pushing the spring back. With no hose pressure to close it off, water flows freely thru the valve.

The difference in price is what is in the kit. Some of them are just the valve, some are the valve, tubing and the thru-hull connector.

I need to take a look at re-routing my water intake hose. Mine takes a 90 right off the thru hull and runs under the Trans mount. It rubs a little in there and makes it so I can't do a mod like this. Having 2 inline T's on for my "Flush kit" and one for my ballast makes it a bit tight.

I think you would install it after the tranny on the long straight piece between the tranny and impeller (v-drive). There is no way you could fit it on the 90 degree bend between the tranny and intake. When most shops winterize they remove the hose from the exit of the tranny or the impeller iinput.

Have had the flush pro in mine since new. Factory installed. Now at 750 hours not a hint of trouble. Mine also has the added transom kit that adds the hose from the top of the Perko flush to a permanent hose fitting mounted through the transom.

Do you have a link to the piece to the transon or is it custom?

I think you would install it after the tranny on the long straight piece between the tranny and impeller (v-drive). There is no way you could fit it on the 90 degree bend between the tranny and intake. When most shops winterize they remove the hose from the exit of the tranny or the impeller iinput.

v-drive = velvet drive? or V-drive?

I installed mine in the line between the intake and the V-drive. Ended up with about 4" of hose between the flush pro and the v-drive inlet.

The piece to the transom is a long hose and connects to a Perko stainless hose fitting. If you do a search pn Flush Pro some of the pictures are pretty clear.

Here is a link to the Bakes page that shows some of the items.

Bakes Link

Funny you just mentiond that Paul..I was just going to post on the Perko Flush Kit. Any feedback on it?

I see Bakes is selling the item for $119 where Overtons is $69 (link below). Any difference in the two? I would assume so being the price gap is significant.

Thanks Martinarcher - I may go with your set up if the feedback is negative on the Perko Flush Kit

http://www.perko.com...are/product/62/

http://www.perko.com...df/flushpro.pdf

http://www.overtons....ro&merchID=4005

They definitely look different from the photo, it looks like the fittings are ABS instead of the clear plastic. I looked in my catalog and they don't even have that part number listed so I'm not sure how they compare. The one i have listed is the one i have experience with and what Malibu uses at the factory if you order the flush kit option. The body is molded in one piece and I've never had to warranty / service on ever. They are $119 retail, less 25% this weekend $89.25 if you wanted one?

A lot of my salt water customers do the transom mount flush kit, the hose on some models / direct drives is not long enough. We just use the 5/8 heater hose if the hose they supply ends up not reaching

-Paul

They definitely look different from the photo, it looks like the fittings are ABS instead of the clear plastic. I looked in my catalog and they don't even have that part number listed so I'm not sure how they compare. The one i have listed is the one i have experience with and what Malibu uses at the factory if you order the flush kit option. The body is molded in one piece and I've never had to warranty / service on ever. They are $119 retail, less 25% this weekend $89.25 if you wanted one?

A lot of my salt water customers do the transom mount flush kit, the hose on some models / direct drives is not long enough. We just use the 5/8 heater hose if the hose they supply ends up not reaching

-Paul

Yes Paul I will try and order one tonight. Can I install between the v-drive and impeller? Is that where Malibu places them? If Bakes can ship to Canada USPS or Fed Ex that would be fantastic. UPS charges us these "broker fees" that are absolutely crazy!

Nice Mod!!

not sure if it is important but if you replace the piece of black hose in this pic with clear hose, you would be able to monitor water flow like the perko flush pro product.

I like your idea better than the flush pro as i don't think i would be comfortable with a device that, if it had a spring malfunction, could restrict flow to the engine.

That's a good idea. I might have to change it out for a piece of clear hose. Thanks for the idea! Yahoo.gif

Do you have a link to the piece to the transon or is it custom?

Others Have already posted the info for the transom kit. If I were to do it myself, I would not mount it in the transom. I would install the hose and just leave it coiled in the bilge or maybe attached to a clip like the oil drain hose is done on the newer boats. I really don't care for the look of the hose attachment off the rear of the transom.DSC02124.jpg

Edited by dalt1

I really don't care for the look of the hose attachment off the rear of the transom

:plus1:

I also dont like draping a hose over the side of the boat... Maybe put the hose attachment fitting below the swim platform?

:plus1:

I also dont like draping a hose over the side of the boat... Maybe put the hose attachment fitting below the swim platform?

put a towel down and run the hose over the towel. I don't think i could put that transom fitting on my boat.