Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got my Clymer manual for Indmar engines !

Pistol Pete

Thanks to Moondog and HRemington for the thread on the Clymer Indmar inboard shop manual for GM V-8 engines 1983-2003 here

I just got mine from Amazon and have only flipped through it.

So far, I think it's the best $27 bucks I've spent on the boat in awhile. I reccomend everyone get one. It even has a picture of a 2005 I ride right on the cover, so you know it's the right book!

Chapters include:

1) Gen. info.

2) Trouble shooting. (We all need that, or, this forum)

3) Lube, maint., and tune-up.

4) Lay-up, winterizing, and fitting out. (Will the anti-freeze or no anti-freeze question be answered? You'll have to read the book to find out!)

5) Adjustments.

6) Engine. (Very detailed. Practically a rebuild manual)

7) Fuel system. (Carb. and F.I.)

8) Cooling and exhaust system. (Even tells you where the water goes. And, shows closed systems too!)

9) Electrical. (Pretty basic stuff but, does show a lot on starter draw and rebuilding)

10) Drive system. (Maybe it explains the funny whine we hear in reverse? You'll have to read the book to be sure!)

11) Steering system. (Everyone wants to know how to diagnose their steering cables and possibly replace them, right?)

12) Remote control. (Goes into the dark area behind the throttle lever and shows an exploded view of exactly how the munchinkins back there put our boats in forward and reverse!)

13) Index

14) Color Wiring diagrams. (Shows the GM factory engine wiring for fuel and ignition systems only. All the other stuff, we still have to guess at.)

All in all, a good book. It will earn a place next to all the manuals for all the cars I own not to mention the 3 different repair manuals I own for one particular model motorcycle. BTW, I do not work for Clymer, nor do I receive any compensation for anyone buying this book.

ISBN # 0-89287-976-9

So whats the difference between the 2003 Monsoon and the 2005 besides a few horsepower?? Would this guide still be relevant for me?

(The fact that I am asking the question means any manual is probably better than no manual :) Despite the fact that I think I'm good with the engine stuff, at least I'll admit that I won't touch anything beyond oil change and winterization without a manual like this)...

JZ

Pete, thanks for the review. When I first posted about it on Aug 1, I had seen the ad in WSM and it was listed at 39.99 from Clymer and it was not yet available, so the moondawg find on Amazon was great. I had been holding off getting it, but at that price and with a real mechanic's review, I'm ordering now. As far as JZ and wak's asking about its relevance to '04s and '05s, I can't imagine that it wouldn't still be very helpful and almost identical in most cases, but maybe Pete could speak to that.

I ordered mine after learning of it from the previous thread. Though I know it won't turn me into a mechanic or be a substitute for experience, I'm VERY glad that I did. Definitely helps to understand the bu a bit better.

Probably take me all winter to read. . . :)

It only took about a week for mine to arrive. I don't remember seeing anything saying 3-5 weeks when I ordered. I happen to have ordered two other books at the same time which would have slowed things down; if anything. Troy's probably right, now that I posted this, they probably got a mad rush on them.

As far as model year differences, I think this book would help you in many other aspects of maintenance on the boat besides the slight differences in engine output. There are lots of pictures of things you'll recognize like the trans. V-drive, and sensors on the engine. You can't beat this price for the good knowledge base that it gives you.

Edited by Pistol Pete

I'd be happy with 3-5 weeks! My order status:

Shipment #1: Not Yet Shipped       

Shipping estimate: January 3, 2006 - January 31, 2006

Delivery estimate: January 10, 2006 - February 13, 2006 (More about estimates)

I received my manual in about a week. I will give it a thumbs up. I think it is worth the money and will be handy to have around.

So far I have not found any sections telling me to take my boat to a dealer for repair.

The book has color wiring diagrams. That is always a plus for me.

It also has a pretty extensive troubleshooting section. There is even a section detailing the diagnostic codes from the MEFI unit.

The manual really falls apart in the transmission section. Basically it tells you how to Remove and Replace the unit. There is nothing about the Repair of the transmission.

How is the section on the 310 carb motor? 

There are about 16 pages on rebuilding your Holley...those are pretty simple carbs so I would say that it is adequate.

The book is not layed out by engine model. It mentions a topic, say engine, and then has subsections for the different versions like 2-bbl, 4-bbl carb, TBI and MPFI.

So whats the difference between the 2003 Monsoon and the 2005 besides a few horsepower??  Would this guide still be relevant for me?

(The fact that I am asking the question means any manual is probably better than no manual :)  Despite the fact that I think I'm good with the engine stuff, at least I'll admit that I won't touch anything beyond oil change and winterization without a manual like this)...

JZ

Lots of stuff is different, from different fuel delivery system, intake plentum, ETX exhaust manifolds, MEFI4 ECM to MEFI 4b...

Working in the industry i'll be honest with you, the book will teach you how to do the real basic stuff, oil changes, impeller service, fuel filter service (although the filters have changed 4 times in the duration of time for that service manual) but i doubt it can get in depth enough to do engine diagnostics. Besides that there are so many special tools including the $800 software to hook into the ECM that you have to have in order to fix some problems. Honestly since MPI came out, the engines have become so sophisticated enough that you have to have a diagnostic tool for the ecm in order to re-set the advance on the timing. (Most people forget how important base timing is, exspecially on a high performance engine like the Monsoon2 325hp, Monsoon3 335hp, Monsoon4 340hp, ***Hammerhead*** and 8.1L) (exspecially the hammerhead because of the aluminum heads and pistons)

Sorry blabbing on, honestly if your boat isn't carbureted, avoid the do it your self tune ups and diagnostics, you'll save a lot more time and spend a lot more time out on the water to have your dealer take care of it.

my 2 cents!

PG

for those who got the 5 weeks delivery notice, i ordered mine about 2 weeks ago, it arrived yesterday (can't review it yet, the kids are giving it to me for my birthday next week).

98mallybu: So do you think it´s even worth getting it with a 2006 engine? Or does anyone know if there will be one coming out soon for the newer engines?