Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water intake for fatsack

pawter1970

Hello gang, I am thinking of adding fat sacks in the side compartments on my 06 VLX and would love to set it all up like the existing ballasts; flick of a switch on the dash......would it be better to add pumps (I would have to find the hull water intake hole) or should I just connect the sacks to the existing rear ballast system?

Hello gang, I am thinking of adding fat sacks in the side compartments on my 06 VLX and would love to set it all up like the existing ballasts; flick of a switch on the dash......would it be better to add pumps (I would have to find the hull water intake hole) or should I just connect the sacks to the existing rear ballast system?

Try this, it's called piggy back system. uses original fitting and pump, no driiling no pump, very easy to install. Here's the link, great winter product: http://www.wakemakers.com/piggyback-750-wakesuf-ballast-system.html

:yahoo:

Thank you B-Good.....found out about this after my post. Do you know how long it takes to fill and empty? thinking of getting the 750lbs bags......

I have not instaled mine yet, it's probably same time frame as the original something like 3 to 5 minutes. :rockon:

I don't think there is any doubt that using 2 pumps per bag (one for fill and one for drain) is the best system. This system does involve drilling holes in the boat for the fill pumps.

The piggy back system does not require any drilling in the hull, it uses original hoses and pump. All you have to do is connect the overflow to the new tank and re connect

the over flow to the top of the new tank. :clap:

I don't think there is any doubt that using 2 pumps per bag (one for fill and one for drain) is the best system. This system does involve drilling holes in the boat for the fill pumps.

I didn't drill any holes in my boat and ended up with an extra 3 fill pumps, it can be done.

The mathematical approach to determining the fill time would be:

current fill time/current fill weight = new fill time/new fill weight

In other words if your boat now fills 250lbs in 3 minutes, then it should fill 1000 lbs in 12 minutes.

Of course this calculation does not account for additional pumping losses due to friction.

Have you posted pics? Would love to see how you set up your intake pumps.

Check the "now that's a big sac" thread.

I used the t-handle plugs that I never used for intakes, as well as the Y-valve from bakes to use the stock fill pump as well. Pretty simple and easily removeable.

Check the "now that's a big sac" thread.

I used the t-handle plugs that I never used for intakes, as well as the Y-valve from bakes to use the stock fill pump as well. Pretty simple and easily removeable.

I only see one T-handle plug in mid compartment. Where is other located?

I only see one T-handle plug in mid compartment. Where is other located?

It's under the engine in the bilge, very unuseable location IMO so I did away with it and did something usefull with it. The T-handle in the midship was also unuseable for me due to the carpet saver I have covering it.

• 2 weeks later...

Regardless of the make or model of boat you basically have three options for adding additional ballast:

Option 1: Fill bags manually with a portable pump, like the Fly High's Tsunami, over the side of the boat. This is the simplest setup, is very flexible, but isn't very convenient (you have to stop the boat get out the pump, get access to the bags, etc.).

Option 2: Install a dedicated system for the additional bags using the pump of your choice (flexible vane impeller pump like the Jabsco or aerator pump like the Attwood Tsunami or Rule Livewell). Depending on where the bags will be in the boat this may or may not make sense. This type of system is more expensive, requires more work to get it setup, but is very convenient and allows for discrete control of the factory ballast as well as the aftermarket ballast.

Option 3: Integrate with the factory ballast system to expand its capacity. Our Piggyback products for Malibu boats fall into this category, and give you the convenience of an automated system, with the lower cost of a portable setup (in face this is actually cheaper than using a Tsunami pump).

Obviously you can have many variations of the above setups depending on your goals and budget, but these are the three main categories.