Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom Ski Binding Set-Up

martinarcher

Just picked up a Radar Senate after reading the deal street post form Dave. Thanks man!

I took my HO Venom's off my Ho Triumph tonight and mounted them on the Senate. Any tip on setting up bindings? I bought the triumph from Galaxy Toad a while back and left the bindings where he set them. Both front and back bindings were in the "middle hole". By this I mean the middle set of screws on the front boot are in the middle hole (the other 4 are in slots). The front two screws on the rear binding is also in the center hole. The only thing that didn't line up was the machined rear clamp. The Triumph had a three hole rear boot, rear mount setup. The Radar has two holes so I had to put the clamp a off center to get the holes to line up.

Centered is a decent place to start. Now go run that stick and you'll make changes based on how the ski performs and what changes you wish to achieve. It's all based on personal preference and skiing style / body position...etc.

Martin...you will enjoy that ski. As NCB said, starting in the center hole is probably best. HO and Radar have compatible bindings. To get more technical, the recommended starting point for the front binding placement for the Senate is as follows...

65" ski....28.5"

67" ski....29.25"

69" ski...30.25"

This is done by simply measuring from the back edge (tail) of the ski to the rear most point of outer rubber at the heel of the front boot. It is little bit easier (but not necessary) to take this measurement before you mount the rear binding. You'll probably find that mounting with the middle hole will have put you to the recommended setting.

The rear boot is a matter of preference. Getting it as close as possible to the front boot puts you in a more athletic position. No worries about the rear "clamp" not being centered.

Do you guys have any skiing left this time of year (or are you going to have to stare at that new ski until Spring)? I'm curious to hear how you feel the Senate compares to the Triumph..I'm thinking about making the same ski change for my daughter, who is on the womens version of the Triumph.

Edited by davemac

I'm going to try to get out this afternoon and try it. The water is pretty cold now and the night time temps are predicted to drop into the low 20's this week for several days with highs in the mid 40's which steers me toward the antifreeze. Cry.gif

If I get out today I'll report back on how it works for me.

..I'm thinking about making the same ski change for my daughter, who is on the womens version of the Triumph.

Dave, what speed is she skiing at right now? I ski with a gal we put on a 65" Senate last year, she starts at 28 mph and runs it into 32 mph right now, probably be into 34 next season. The ski really starts to come alive at 30 but she's OK with it at 28. If your daughter is in that range for my $0.02 at $150 bucks I think I'd jump on it.

Ed

Dave, what speed is she skiing at right now? I ski with a gal we put on a 65" Senate last year, she starts at 28 mph and runs it into 32 mph right now, probably be into 34 next season. The ski really starts to come alive at 30 but she's OK with it at 28. If your daughter is in that range for my $0.02 at $150 bucks I think I'd jump on it.

Ed

Hey EZ Ed,

I pull her at about 28mph...she dabbles in the mini course when it is set up. Current setup is a 65" 2007 HO Siren (Triumph w/ womens graphics), and her foot has outgrown the Shock bindings. Santa is thinking about jumping on the Radar Lyric "package deal" and getting her the Lyric ski &bindings (womens version of Senate & Vector). She is a "tweener" on the boot size...currently a womens 8 1/2. Assuming her foot is still growing, I'm thinking the Standard size boot (W8-12) will be the route I will take (also have the option of Strada 8 boots...if I see a used pair).

I'd love to jump on that $150 Senate deal, but the 65" isn't offered at that price, and at her age its all about "fashion over function".....girls?? She has been eyeing those girly graphics on the Lyrics for a long time. My wallet will breathe a sigh of relief when she stops growing.

(Apologies for the hijack, Martin)

Edited by davemac

Hey EZ Ed,

I pull her at about 28mph...she dabbles in the mini course when it is set up. Current setup is a 65" 2008 HO Siren (Triumph w/ womens graphics), and her foot has outgrown the Shock bindings. Santa is thinking about jumping on the Radar Lyric "package deal" and getting her the Lyric ski &bindings (womens version of Senate & Vector). She is a "tweener" on the boot size...currently a womens 8 1/2. Assuming her foot is still growing, I'm thinking the Standard size boot (W8-12) will be the route I will take (also have the option of Strada 8 boots...if I see a used pair).

I'd love to jump on that $150 Senate deal, but at her age its all about "fashion over function".....girls?? She has been eyeing those girly graphics on the Lyrics for a long time. My wallet will breathe a sigh of relief when she stops growing.

(Apologies for the hijack, Martin)

No problem at all! I just called lake information and the water is down to 35 degrees. I need to make a decision if I'm brave enough to try it with the wetsuit. Crazy.gif

No problem at all! I just called lake information and the water is down to 35 degrees. I need to make a decision if I'm brave enough to try it with the wetsuit. Crazy.gif

Thats crazy....I skied up here on Tuesday (drysuit) and the water was 54.

Thats crazy....I skied up here on Tuesday (drysuit) and the water was 54.

The more I think about it the more the guy on their recording had to have misread his sheet. It is basically impossible for the water to be that cold right now. Heck the night time lows have just begun reached 30. Two weeks ago when we were out it was still in the 50's.

Better get out there quick before it starts to solidify. :crazy:

Well I just got in from winterizing. We had a blast today, but it was dang cold. I would guess the water was 45-48. I miss our temp gauge on the Skier. The air was 47 so it was a bit of a cold day, but it was still fun. It was hard to find water worth of testing the ski with the breeze, but I did manage to find a shoreline with some smooth water.

This ski rocks! I can turn it much better than the Triumph. Not sure if speed was a factor. I've been running 15 off at 30mph with the Triumph. Today I ran 15 off at 32 mph. We still had 6 in the boat, but the wake was much better at 32 than 30. The ski really seems to be more responsive as well, but that could be the speed. I am thrilled with it for the price and am glad I got to try it before the ice comes. Biggrin.gif I was really bummed the course was out as that would have been the true test, but I'm pretty sure it will help me do better in the course as well.

Thanks for the heads up Dave! I'm happy with my purchase...now I have to give it back to the wife so she can put it under the tree. LOL.gif

I got the boat home and changed oil and filled it with Prestone. Cry.gif Oh well I can sleep easy since the night time lows this week are predicted to be 22-28!

We still had 6 in the boat,...

:unsure: ? 6 ? How the heck do you find 6 people to out on the water when it's that cold? :dontknow:

I have trouble finding a 3rd this time of year and I'm in Cali. :mad:

Edited by NorCaliBu

:unsure: ? 6 ? How the heck do you find 6 people to out on the water when it's that cold? :dontknow:

Hehe. I have a pretty awesome crew. Usually I'd have at east four in the water. Only three of us braved the water yesterday. The three sane ones (wives) were just along for the ride. LOL.gif

Heck if we had your water temps right now all 6 would have been in! Rockon.gif

Hey NorCalBu,

I take offense to political advertisements on this forum, yours or anyone elses. This forum is for the discussion of watersports, boats etc. NOT politics. I believe that the vast majority of people on this forum want to see the political comments taken somewhere else. If you want to push a specific political agenda there are lots of places on the net to do that. This is not the place. I respectfully ask you to remove your political comments and take them to a more appropriate forum.

Respectfully, Ed Obermeier

FYI....

NorCali's statement is in his signature, which there is no specific rule against. We are very lenient with regard to signatures. Every 2 years at this time of year I always recommend to people that if they don't like reading them, they have the option to turn off viewing signatures in their profiles.

FYI....

NorCali's statement is in his signature, which there is no specific rule against. We are very lenient with regard to signatures. Every 2 years at this time of year I always recommend to people that if they don't like reading them, they have the option to turn off viewing signatures in their profiles.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with such the content of such statements per se. I simply take offense to the use of this (or any) forum designed for discussion of non political issues used in a political manner, regardless of what that message might be. You can't tell me that such statements, irregardless of where they're positioned in their message posts, aren't designed to politicize which is not what this forum is about.

Some of the other watersports forums are going downhill fast due to a lack of their administrators allowing such off subject diatribe. If you want to see this one go to hell as well continue to allow political messaging, posturing, whatever you want to call it creep into this forum. This is not the place for that and where it's positioned in someones posts doesn't change that. I for one am sick enough of all of the negative political advertising crap we're bombarded with every day. I come here to get away from that and I'm certain that I'm not alone in my feelings on this subject. You're off base on this one and it shouldn't be allowed, whether it's part of the "signature" or not. You want political discussion go to a political discussion forum. Water sports should remain politics free. A thread about slalom bindings for crying out loud definitely shouldn't be a forum for political ranting.

Ed

Just picked up a Radar Senate after reading the deal street post form Dave. Thanks man!

I took my HO Venom's off my Ho Triumph tonight and mounted them on the Senate. Any tip on setting up bindings? I bought the triumph from Galaxy Toad a while back and left the bindings where he set them. Both front and back bindings were in the "middle hole". By this I mean the middle set of screws on the front boot are in the middle hole (the other 4 are in slots). The front two screws on the rear binding is also in the center hole. The only thing that didn't line up was the machined rear clamp. The Triumph had a three hole rear boot, rear mount setup. The Radar has two holes so I had to put the clamp a off center to get the holes to line up.

I've been skiing on this (Senate-C) for most of this year coming from an HO S8. The settings that I'm using are very close stock settings w/ a Schnitz Slot Fin. The bindings are neutral, and a good place start w/ any new ski. I moved them forward as I did on my S8 and really made it tough to turn compared to neutral. With the settings I've got on it now I've been running pb's almost weekly and increased speed because of the control.

Hey NorCalBu,

I take offense to political advertisements on this forum, yours or anyone elses. This forum is for the discussion of watersports, boats etc. NOT politics. I believe that the vast majority of people on this forum want to see the political comments taken somewhere else. If you want to push a specific political agenda there are lots of places on the net to do that. This is not the place. I respectfully ask you to remove your political comments and take them to a more appropriate forum.

Respectfully, Ed Obermeier

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with such the content of such statements per se. I simply take offense to the use of this (or any) forum designed for discussion of non political issues used in a political manner, regardless of what that message might be. You can't tell me that such statements, irregardless of where they're positioned in their message posts, aren't designed to politicize which is not what this forum is about.

Some of the other watersports forums are going downhill fast due to a lack of their administrators allowing such off subject diatribe. If you want to see this one go to hell as well continue to allow political messaging, posturing, whatever you want to call it creep into this forum. This is not the place for that and where it's positioned in someones posts doesn't change that. I for one am sick enough of all of the negative political advertising crap we're bombarded with every day. I come here to get away from that and I'm certain that I'm not alone in my feelings on this subject. You're off base on this one and it shouldn't be allowed, whether it's part of the "signature" or not. You want political discussion go to a political discussion forum. Water sports should remain politics free. A thread about slalom bindings for crying out loud definitely shouldn't be a forum for political ranting.

Ed

I generally change my signature routinely. With the elections coming up a political slant seemed apropo. If rules are changed and restrictions are put in place that my signature would be in conflict with I would certainly make changes to acquire compliance. Currently you are able. as WakeGirl pointed out, to delete signatures from showing up when you view the site. To suggest that this community will "go to hell" due to signature content is kind of silly, no? Try decaf...