Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Spare tire holder - Homemade

theaslip

Did you weld that? Are you a welder?

I'm not a welder - Guy I know I has the gear and he helped me out.....Then took it to a local powder coating place for blasting and painting. The powdercoating process was the most expensive piece - $50

Looks like it turned out pretty good. Nice job! I would have went with the powdercoating as well. Nice finishing touch.

Thanks - The only think bugging me is the bolts and nuts. I should have had those powdered also......I'm probably too anal!

If you powdercoated the threads you would not have been able to get the nuts on as powdercoat is quite thick. You're powder coating is about as good as you are going to get.

If you powdercoated the threads you would not have been able to get the nuts on as powdercoat is quite thick. You're powder coating is about as good as you are going to get.

Right on. Just be sure to go stainless and your set.

Right on. Just be sure to go stainless and your set.

Correction...Never bolt a stainless bolt and nut together. You might not ever get them apart.

I'm not a welder - Guy I know I has the gear and he helped me out.....Then took it to a local powder coating place for blasting and painting. The powdercoating process was the most expensive piece - $50

10-4

It looks pretty good but, I gotta warn you. If you trailer a lot (like I do), that super heavy tire and wheel puts a whole lotta stress on the upper weld of that angle. In my 10 yr. lifetime with my trailer, I've had the trailer mfg. have to re-weld that spare tire mount twice. Mine is factory fitted and welded right to the frame. Just keep an eye on that area is all I'm sayin.

Correction...Never bolt a stainless bolt and nut together. You might not ever get them apart.

:unsure: Whatchutalkinbout, Willis? :unsure:

I worked in the marine industry for years and we used SS nuts and bolts all the time (around salt water) without problem. It's using dissimilar metals that causes problems. :yes:

Edited by NorCaliBu
I'm just gonna sit on this one and let someone else fill you in.

Whatever Pete. I just went outside and loosened (and then retightened) the stainless stain nut and bolt combos that hold my Hi-Lift Jack on my Landcruiser. It has been at least three years since those nuts have been turned and they loosened without issue. I do use an anti-sieze on the threads though.

In this application who cares if it never comes apart? They will look better than non-stainless parts, and the only reason they would ever be removed is to repair the spare tire mount. Theaslip is clearly concerned with how things look and would likely replace the bolts anyway, so no big deal if they have to be cut off.

Allright, to keep anyone from doing it, here's the answer.

From Pete's link...

...three suggestions for dealing with the problem of thread galling in the use of stainless steel fasteners:

1. Slowing down the installation RPM speed will frequently reduce, or sometimes solve completely, the problem.

Not an issue when installing the fasteners by hand, hence my experiences of no problems occurring.

2. Lubricating the internal and/or external threads frequently eliminates thread galling.

Use Never-Sieze (or similar product on threads)

3. Using different stainless alloy grades for the bolt and the nut reduces galling.

Hadn't heard that before. That's interesting.

Edited by NorCaliBu

In this application who cares if it never comes apart? They will look better than non-stainless parts, and the only reason they would ever be removed is to repair the spare tire mount. Theaslip is clearly concerned with how things look and would likely replace the bolts anyway, so no big deal if they have to be cut off.

10-4

You're the boss.

From Pete's link...

...three suggestions for dealing with the problem of thread galling in the use of stainless steel fasteners:

1. Slowing down the installation RPM speed will frequently reduce, or sometimes solve completely, the problem.

Not an issue when installing the fasteners by hand, hence my experiences of no problems occurring.

I've tightened screws by hand and could not get them apart.

2. Lubricating the internal and/or external threads frequently eliminates thread galling.

Use Never-Sieze (or similar product on threads)

Most people don't realize you can / need to do this.

3. Using different stainless alloy grades for the bolt and the nut reduces galling.

Hadn't heard that before. That's interesting.

You're welcome.

10-4

You're the boss.

I apologize if I sounded disrespectful, that wasn't my intent. Just pointing out that not all applications are equal and in this case the owner of the tailor might prize appearance over the ability to easily remove bolts.

Cheers,

John

I have a similar bracket on my trailer, bought from Harbor Freight. 3 yrs later & it's still holding up.

On the SS bolts issue, a number of times when assembling a new SkySki, I've had the bolt & nut gall together, many times before you even get the nut tight, then you can't get it off or tight. Use the Never Seize & you won't have a problem either way.

Agreed. I had a stainless nut and bolt gall on the Skier's trailer when I installed the Boat Buckles. I went to take them off and the one bolt would not let go of the nut I had used. It would spin and spin, but wouldn't come off. It took longer than just hitting it with the ratchet, but eventually I won. Biggrin.gif

Lesson: Use Anti-Seize!

post-7666-042599000 1288545465_thumb.jpg

post-7666-068333100 1288545472_thumb.jpg

Edited by martinarcher